Author Topic: A bit underwhelmed.  (Read 935 times)

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
A bit underwhelmed.
« on: September 15, 2012, 10:07:54 AM »

I got my new 28 gauge. My how things have changed. I really miss opening the box on these H&R's and seeing that pretty color case hardened frame. That's bad enough but now there is no gloss to the stock what so ever. It looks like that put the stain on it then set it aside to dry before boxing it up and sending it off. The fore arm also has 2 little knots in it. Not much mind you but more that the old QC folks would have go by.
   All I can say is Hmmmmm.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: A bit underwhelmed.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 10:28:50 AM »

I got my new 28 gauge. My how things have changed. I really miss opening the box on these H&R's and seeing that pretty color case hardened frame. That's bad enough but now there is no gloss to the stock what so ever. It looks like that put the stain on it then set it aside to dry before boxing it up and sending it off. The fore arm also has 2 little knots in it. Not much mind you but more that the old QC folks would have go by.
   All I can say is Hmmmmm.

Sorry to hear. But I must admit its a "tune" I have herd before...

I have sworn off new Remingtons, Marlins and H&R's for just this reason... I also avoid sending things back to the Remington factory. But I must admit I hear more good then bad reciently on that score.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »
I'm with CW on this one. I've given up on new H&R's because the last 3 new Handi's all had problems that never should have made it past QC. I still buy pieces and parts and put them together but I won't spend the money on a new one. I did recently pick up a Marlin 336RC but it was made in 1953 so it's a good one. ;D  I just happened to be in the right place at the right time and got the rifle, 2 boxed of Core Lokt ammo and a hard case for $150 bucks. I think I did alright on it. ;) :)

Spanky

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 02:33:47 PM »
jealous here spanky :'(
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 04:39:25 PM »
I think the term is "robbery".................. :o Why cant I seem to run across those???????????????
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 04:05:26 AM »
Every H&R I've bought lately seems to be older than the last.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 01:42:52 PM »
I didn't know that the quality had gotten so bad.  I just bought a used (Pawn Shop) 22" modified 20 Ga.  Had given up on finding just a barrel at a good price.  Took the stock and forearm off first thing (they were so-so) thinned them down a bunch and cut the stock to straight.  Two coats of walnut later and they are looking pretty good.  Going to put a few coats of Linseed oil on next.