Author Topic: Retain Ammo  (Read 2349 times)

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
Retain Ammo
« on: September 15, 2012, 05:43:23 PM »
How many people take the full mags. or loose ammo with you when you are forced to leave your weapon in you vehicle?  I know I don't want to come back out to face a loaded weapon.  Ever have trouble taking the ammo in to a gun restricted building?

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: Retain Ammo
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 10:31:37 PM »
I generally don't frequent places where carrying a gun is prohibited.  The few private places where I have seen "No firearms" posted, I just keep my weapon hidden, and go on with my business, or just don't go there at all.  My weapon stays in my pocket, or on my hip.  The same with my magazines.

One friend of mine has one of those "biometric" handgun safes that work off your fingerprints.  he keeps it bolted to the transmission hump in his pick up truck for times he has to secure his weapon.  Seems like a good idea.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline FPH

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 10:43:27 PM »
I have a project in a very high scale building which has the proper signage required here to prohibit weapons.  My Credit Union now has the same signage.  Then there is the City building I must frequent and they have the proper signage, a security guard, and metal detectors........I freak him out.  Even my empty Crossbreed freaks him out.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 03:31:50 AM »
I do the same as Big Easy.  I generally don't go where my gun is not wanted and or keep it concealed.
If I am going to a place with tight security checks, metal detectors, etc. I do like his friend and lock my piece in a gun safe attached to my car.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 05:14:09 AM »
I don't leave my gun in car.  Do you know that the worst that can happen if you get caught on the premises of a place that doesnt allow firearms?  A trespassing charge.  That's it.  That's the very worst.  Business nor any establishment can make laws.  If they post a sign saying "No firearms," that doesn't make it illegal to carry a firearm there.  It simply means you are somewhere you should not be according to the proprietor's wishes.  It's no different than entering upon private property past a "No trespassing" sign, or wearing your bathing suit into a restaurant that requires shirt and shoes.  It's like being at someone's home as a guest and you get told to leave.  It's not the gun that put's you in violation of the law; it's your presence on the property. 
The exception to that is going upon gov't property where guns are not allowed, like the court house or the post office.  There we would face specific laws that make it illegal to have a gun on your person.  But if it's a restaurant or shopping mall that announces by signs no guns are allowed, you have 3 options.  Take the gun in anyway, leave it in the car, or don't go there.  I opt for the 3rd choice.   

Offline FPH

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 05:29:20 AM »
You aren't from Texas are you.  They can confiscate your weapon and license ( and will ) here.  A generic no gun sign may ( and I do )  be ignored.  However a legal 30.06 sign issued by the State has enforcement value.  I may be carrying during the day and need to enter a "no guns" building"  so I leave my gun and take my ammo.

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 05:35:57 AM »
I never leave a gun in my vehicle, period!  If a public establishment prohibits firearms, I go somewhere where they are not prohibited. I also make sure the establishment knows why they will not get my business or the business of my numerous like minded associates. These days I avoid government buildings like the plague, so no problem there.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline FPH

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 05:42:13 AM »
I have no choice but to visit some of these buildings on a daily basis........my only choice is not to carry........I ever leave a loaded weapon in my truck.

Offline FPH

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 05:48:20 AM »
Sorry for the spelling folks.......the kittens had a field night on my laptop........the key board has a mind of it's own.  Secondarily this sight wont let me access post to modify them.

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 02:04:06 PM »
brucewalker, in my truck at all times is a Gunvault "nanovault" with a cable securing it to the seat to protect my pistol from "smash and grab" type attacks. http://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV200-NanoVault-Style-Pistols/dp/B00384755S/ref=sr_1_6?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1347839793&sr=1-6&keywords=Lock+boxes  I know that it will not stop a determined thief, but it is handy and portable.  I use it also on my motorcycle where transferring my weapon from the vehicle to the tent in public when travelling could be problematic.  I do not have a CCW permit, and the strengthening of Texas' Castle law removed the urgency to get one since now I can legally carry loaded in any vehicle.  I know it is not a perfect solution, but the nanovault serves my needs.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 11:02:03 AM »
This is getting silly.  DON'T LEAVE YOUR GUNS IN THE TRUCK!  What good are they if you are not in the truck.  If you are not going to use them or carry them, just leave them at home.  I'd vote for a Democrat before I'd leave my gun in the truck. 
Some will say you might need your gun on the way to whatever place you won't carry them.  That makes no sense.  What on earth might happen while you are on the way to wherever you are afraid to take your gun?  Someone might run you off the road and then stop to shoot at you?  The only remedy for putting your gun where you can't get to it is to stay home.   

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 12:19:11 PM »
This is getting silly.

I addressed the OP's question because the way it was framed I thought that I have something in common with him in the way we choose to carry and I might be able to provide some help.  You take exception to the way we choose to carry, and that may be a subject for another thread entirely.  I'm sure we could spend hours debating the fine points.  At this point I will just say you carry your way and I'll carry mine.

Curtis

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline FPH

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 01:59:20 PM »
This is getting silly.  DON'T LEAVE YOUR GUNS IN THE TRUCK!  What good are they if you are not in the truck.  If you are not going to use them or carry them, just leave them at home.  I'd vote for a Democrat before I'd leave my gun in the truck. 
Some will say you might need your gun on the way to whatever place you won't carry them.  That makes no sense.  What on earth might happen while you are on the way to wherever you are afraid to take your gun?  Someone might run you off the road and then stop to shoot at you?  The only remedy for putting your gun where you can't get to it is to stay home.   

So rather than being able to carry my weapon 95% of the day.  I should just leave it at home( what good does it do there) for the 1 hour of the day I'm in the buildings that bans firearms( should I break the law?).  As I stated, if I do need to leave my weapon in the truck, it is unloaded with no available ammo.

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 06:40:39 AM »
court house, or dot office, where ever you get your drivers license, car registration, etc. are no go for carry.  Sheriff's office is also not recommended for cc.  These and other government buildings that we all must go into occasionally are places where you must leave the gun elsewhere.  A gun left in a vehicle is risky, but there are ways to secure it.  I personally do not unload the gun, I prefer to have it locked out of sight (exact method and location are not for public disclosure)
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 06:50:35 AM »
     You take exception to the way we choose to carrry
kinda like telling someone to drive like you do or get off the interstate. ;D sound familiar?
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 11:01:29 AM »
     You take exception to the way we choose to carrry
kinda like telling someone to drive like you do or get off the interstate. ;D sound familiar?

Thank you BUGEYE for pointing out the way our words can be used against us if someone so chooses.  Maybe I'll be more careful before I type next time.

I think you are making an apples to oranges comparison, but I will allow you that since I somewhat had it coming.

Happy shooting AND driving,
Curtis

P.S.  I did not tell you to drive like I do.  I recomended that you drive with the flow of traffic, which is almost always the safer bet.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 02:36:27 PM »
I removed the barrel from the SP - 2340 and took it with me once. I found myself driving the convertable Mustang, and had to leave the gun in it fr some dang reason. Soon after that it got the locking gun vault installed in the trun.

An electric trunk release does not make for a very secure convertable!
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline FPH

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 02:56:25 PM »
Taking the barrel night be easier.........good thought.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 03:13:44 PM »
Carrying on school property here, even in an auto, (if you are caught), will get you a felony and no guns for the rest of your life.  Same is true of any government building.  Private property nets you a misdemeanor, and possible loss of concealed carry, depends on the judge.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline FPH

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 03:25:28 PM »
Carrying on school property here, even in an auto, (if you are caught), will get you a felony and no guns for the rest of your life.  Same is true of any government building.  Private property nets you a misdemeanor, and possible loss of concealed carry, depends on the judge.

Ben

What State are you in?

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2012, 04:31:39 PM »
Ga.

Ben

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 06:56:11 AM »
Are the schools in GA equipped with metal detectors and security guards?    Just asking a question... I'm not implying you should do anything illegal or that I would do anything illegal.   ;D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 08:21:02 AM »
Are the schools in GA equipped with metal detectors and security guards?    Just asking a question... I'm not implying you should do anything illegal or that I would do anything illegal.   ;D

Many, but not all.

Ben

Offline FPH

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 08:32:47 AM »
http://www.georgiapacking.org/law.php      According to this you need to rethink your statement when it comes to CCL holder.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2012, 09:07:05 AM »

Here is the Ga. code.  This is also what is printed on the back of my license, and in the paperwork the judges' office gave me when I applied for it.

http://www1.legis.ga.gov/legis/2005_06/search/hb544.htm

Ben

Offline FPH

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2012, 09:15:26 AM »
Read #'s 7 & 8. " Dully Licensed"

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2012, 09:38:32 AM »
FPH, I should have read more thoroughly.  You are correct.  It is only a felony for an unlicensed carry, and a misdemeanor for a licensee, (outside the vehicle).

A few years ago, a man I know drove onto school grounds to pick up his children, and as they got into his truck, a school security officer saw weapons under the back seat.  They were hunting rifles, and one was loaded.

He was charged with a felony, and spent two years into and out of courts.  At the last, it was reduced to a misdemeanor.

Ben

Offline FPH

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2012, 09:42:27 AM »
You are the same as TX.  Better safe than sorry.