Author Topic: The Gun Ban Extension - Get the FACTS!  (Read 1843 times)

Offline BamBams

• Trade Count: (0)
The Gun Ban Extension - Get the FACTS!
« on: February 08, 2004, 06:45:31 PM »
Notice I didn't call it the "Assault Weapons Ban"?  That's because it ISN'T anymore.

This ban really scares the heck of me. I think it should scare you too! I don't think alot of people are even AWARE that the liberals have added more stuff to it, but they WILL become aware when they wake up one morning in October and find out that they can't even purchase any kind of semi-auto shotgun anymore!!!!  Don't ever say you weren't warned either!

Please people......take some time to write some letters and make some calls to your alleged representatives. AND do a little research and find out what is REALLY in store for you if this ban becomes extended. It affects ALL of us, and is just another "lie" perpetuated to continue disarming law abiding people in our country so the liberals can eventually control the "masses."  It's not just about assault rifles......it is going way beyond that now if this extension does goes through. Especially contact the White House!

Just one of many articles out there concerning the ban:

"Nine years ago Congress, with President Clinton's avid support, passed a ban on assault weapons. In coming months Congress will have to decide whether to extend the ban past the September 2004 expiration date.

Moreover, bills being pushed by U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., and U.S. Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, D-N.Y., would not only extend the ban but increase the types of weapons it covers and expand restrictions in other ways.

"The proposed reauthorization of the Clinton gun ban goes much further than the original law," Kansas Republican Rep. Jim Ryun, whose 2nd District includes half of Lawrence, said in a statement e-mailed to the Journal-World. "This measure would ban thousands of additional firearms, including semiautomatic shotguns, which are commonly used by hunters in Kansas."

Rep. Dennis Moore, D-Kan., favors extending the ban on assault weapons now covered by the law. But he said he would have to look carefully at the language in any new proposal.

"I don't know why people would need assault rifles," said Moore, whose 3rd District includes the other half of Lawrence. "I feel pretty confident, depending on the wording, that I would be opposed to assault rifles."

At the same time, Moore said he believed in the rights of hunters and the Second Amendment right to own firearms "with some reasonable protections."

Ryun pointed out that he consistently has voted to support anti-crime legislation and to toughen penalties for people who use guns to harm others. He also has backed instant background checks on people buying guns.

Chad Hayward, a spokesman for Ryun, said he didn't know whether Ryun would support extending the current ban as it is.

The offices of Kansas Republican Sens. Pat Roberts and Sam Brownback didn't respond to requests for comments on the assault weapons ban.

That ban, which went into effect in September 1994, outlawed 19 weapons, including certain types of semiautomatics, AK-47s, the Uzi, and shotguns with revolving cylinders, often called "street sweepers." Lawmakers and some law enforcement personnel wanted the ban to keep the weapons out of the hands of criminals such as drug dealers.

They also had in mind deranged gunmen such as the shooter who used an AK-47 in a 1989 sniper attack at a Cleveland elementary school. That incident left five students dead and 29 injured.

President Bush has said he supports the gun ban extension but would not push the issue if Republican lawmakers, who now control both houses of Congress, wanted to let it die without action.

Douglas County Sheriff Rick Trapp has no desire to see assault weapons become legal.

"I have no problem with restrictions on such firearms that have no sport value to them," Trapp said.

In Douglas County, however, few assault weapons have been recovered over the years, according to Trapp, who also prosecuted drug dealers as an assistant district attorney. He said he could remember only a couple of instances when such weapons were found.

"There has always been intelligence that those trafficking in drugs had these guns, but certainly the handgun, the semiautomatic weapon that is legal, is the weapon of choice," Trapp said.

Moore, a former Johnson County district attorney, said he couldn't remember very many cases that involved assault weapons.

Neither the Lawrence Police Department nor the Kansas Bureau of Investigation has taken a stance on assault weapons, spokesmen said.

"Locally we do come across some assault-style weapons periodically, but it's very rare," Lawrence Police Sgt. Mike Pattrick said.

‘It's not the gun'

Legislative proposals for expanding the types of illegal guns aren't sitting well with gun enthusiasts and hunters. They say it cuts into the sports of target shooting and hunting.

"This is too much," said Doug Wahl, owner of Lawrence Pawn and Jewelry, 944 E. 23rd St., where customers sometimes bring in semiautomatic shotguns. "If they enact all this, it basically takes away sportsmen's rights."

Hank Vawter, Lawrence, who collects guns and hunts, couldn't agree more.

"That's crap," Vawter said of the proposals. "It's not the gun, it's the person."

Copied from LJWorld.com
NRA Handgun Instructor

Offline Sure-Shot

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 07:50:39 AM »
I wonder how much of this is pure political manuevering.  By getting more on the bill to try and get people let the "assault rifle ban" go through as a compramise for stripping off the ammendments.  I think everyone should put pressure on our congress people and senators to just vote no and let the ban die.  I think we also need to make sure George W knows we expect a veto if they pass it.
GBOT GBA

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 09:19:43 AM »
Quote from: Sure-Shot
I wonder how much of this is pure political manuevering.  By getting more on the bill to try and get people let the "assault rifle ban" go through as a compramise for stripping off the ammendments.  I think everyone should put pressure on our congress people and senators to just vote no and let the ban die.  I think we also need to make sure George W knows we expect a veto if they pass it.

That Pure Political Manuvering Cost WI THe right to Carry Concealed at least for a other year when we have to start over again. :( I  am and urge all other gun owners to keep a eye on this semi auto ban. Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline RollTide

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 03:42:20 PM »
I don't think you have anything to worry about.  The Republicans got the sunset provision thrown in and had it expire just before a national election.  It will be political suicide for even the most avid liberal to press to pass ANY extension of ANY kind.  They will blow and bluster, but NONE are going to invest any political capital in it in 2004.  They may come back later at a more opportune time,  probably will, but it is DEAD for 2004 thanks to some pretty smart Republicans  10 years ago.  Most liberal heavy hitters are RUNNING away from this.  That is why Bush does not have to go to bat against an extension, because he knows it will never make it through congress anyway.  No need to tick off the soccer moms if you don't have to in an election year.  I still advocate everyone exercising contacts with their representatives to fight any ban, but I am not worried at all about it passing.

Roll Tide

Offline RaySendero

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 05:36:56 AM »
OK Guys - I don't understand  :?:

If the ban has expired, Why would they be tacking more crap on it?

If the ban has expired, So when does the ban go out of effect?
    Ray

Offline RollTide

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 08:48:04 AM »
The ban expires in Sept. 2004.  The additional provisions that are being talked about are for a PROPOSED extension of the ban to would extend it past Sept. of 2004.  If a PROPOSED extension does not make it through both houses of Congress and/or is not signed into law by the President, the ban which has been in place for the last 10 years will expire in Sept. 2004.

Roll Tide

Offline dread

• Avid Poster
Cap & Ball
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2004, 03:21:17 AM »
For the info on this go to: KDKA Channel 2 News http://images.viacomlocalnetworks.com/images_image_114142220
Scroll down and download the " video player" when you click on the "How Are Convicted Felons Able To Legally Buy Guns?"  and watch the video. Then say "good-by" to Cap and Ball new or antique firearms. Just one more "nail in the coffin" for firearms owners. Check it out.  :eek:

http://www.kdka.com/

Jim, here's the place to be for the tv thing on black powder guns and the Feds.  :D

Offline jh45gun

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 05:02:57 AM »
Dread please redo the link as you only got the image header and not the whole page. I have to say with out even seeing it from reading your post that who ever did this news piece is full of crap!!!! No Felon that wants to commit crime with a gun is going to fool around with a cap and ball or other antique when he can buy most anything on the street. Just the anti's finding out that black powder guns can be sold by mail and are trying to close that  door to us pro gunners.  :x  :x  :x  Jim
Said I never had much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 12:56:23 PM »
Quote from: RollTide
I don't think you have anything to worry about.   I am not worried at all about it passing.

Roll Tide

Dali Llama say he hope RollTide be correct. :-)  :-)  :-)
AKA "Blademan52" from Marlin Talk

Offline RollTide

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 03:34:49 PM »
If you guys really want to keep up with the latest and greatest, the following site usually does a good job of posting the latest news on the subject.

http://www.awbansunset.com/

Roll Tide

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2004, 04:51:55 PM »
Quote from: RollTide
If you guys really want to keep up with the latest and greatest, the following site usually does a good job of posting the latest news on the subject.

http://www.awbansunset.com/
Dali Llama say he appreciate link provided. :grin:

Offline NoDak

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2004, 06:49:32 PM »
:evil: These folk that call themselves our representatives do NOT know the meaning of the wording "shall not be infringed" in the 2nd ammendment. Here are a couple places to keep on top of the news:

http://firearmnews.com/

http://www.gunnewsdaily.com/

Also remember to write your congressmen/senators. And If you can give them information and examples from documented sources that show you aren't just pulling figures out of the air, the better.

Ladies and gents the internet is very powerful and can be our ally when it comes to info to share with our folks in Washington and here on this board.

Offline Nightrain52

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2004, 05:10:09 AM »
People, I'm not trying to stir the pot but complacency costs us more individual rights every year. We sit back and think, naw it will never happen and then wake up one morning with another right taken away. The anti-gun crowd has figured out they can't make a huge change so they do it a little bit at a time. Now they are starting on semi-auto shot guns and sporting rifles. These gun ban groups are well funded and oeganized and they keep chipping away. WAKE UP BEFORE IT'S TO LATE. :(  :eek:  :x
FREEDOM IS WORTH FIGHTING FOR-ARE YOU WILLING TO DIE FOR IT--------IT'S HARD TO SOAR LIKE AN EAGLE WHEN YOU ARE SURROUNDED BY TURKEYS

Offline Dali Llama

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2004, 05:51:54 AM »
Quote from: NoDak
Ladies and gents the internet is very powerful and can be our ally when it comes to info to share with our folks in Washington and here on this board.
Dali Llama say that be why he share much CCW news and other articles with Honorable forum members. :D