Author Topic: What is a Yankee?  (Read 1880 times)

Offline Awf Hand

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
What is a Yankee?
« on: September 18, 2012, 06:38:09 AM »
Backstory:
I called a bike shop in Arkansas, as I'm headed there soon for a vacation and will be doing some bicycling.  In my area in WI there are numerous bike clubs that host group rides to take in the local scenery and, after all, locals know the best places to ride.  So, as I'm talking to the guy on the phone, he asked somebody in the shop, "You know anybody who would wanna show a Yankee around next week?"

Now I'm not bothered by this, but I am curious.  My ancestors didn't come to the US until the 1920's.  What's the etiquette here?  Am I a "Yankee"?

???
Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: What is a Yankee?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 06:49:13 AM »
Originally it was referred to people in New England who were moving to formally Dutch area of New York, New Jersey, and Delaware.  The English referred to all American colonials as Yankees.  Then during the Civil War, northerners were referred to as Yankees.  Later durring WWI, the Brittish again referred to all Americans as Yankees as well as the Austrailians.  So, within the United States all northerners above the Ohio river and the Mason-Dixon line are referred to as Yankees by southerners.  Hope that helps.  Southerners usually refer to northerners who move south and stay as d*mn yankees, as a joke of course.  And yes, for someone from Wisconsin, in Arkansaw you would be considered a yankee.  My wife is from Wisconsin and I grew up in Alabama.  We live in Alabama, because we have a pool and can swim from April to October, and she doesn't have to shovel snow.   

Offline mannyrock

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 07:54:34 AM »

Dixie has it right.  In the U.S., every state that stayed in the Union during the Civil War (except for Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri,  and the later formed state of West Virginia) are regarded as Yankee states.  And anybody who comes from there, now or then, are Yankees. When visiting the South, act like a very nice Yankee (instead of a tasteless, rich, know it all) and everyone will treat you fine.  Don't use the phrase "you guys" or you are giving yourself away.  Use "ya'll" instead.

In the past 20 years, the South has had its utimate revenge.   Due to the right to work laws, virtually all of the new mega factories and assembly plants have been built in the South (especially the Japanese auto factories), while the former great industrial cities of the North (such as Detroit) are crumbling into rust and incredible poverty.  The old steel belt of the Great Lakes and the Ohio River system has truly become the rust belt.

And, Duke University, in Durham, N.C., is now the premier cutting-edge medical research center in the U.S., surpassing Harvard. (Guess what?  All of  those research doctors got sick and tired of the snow, mega taxes, and rudeness of the North!)

Best, Mannyrock

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 08:56:41 AM »
Then there are good yankees and not so good yankees . Good ones come down and enjoy the South and when southerns go North they are nice and helpful.
The not so good ones start every sentence in a conversation with "well up north we do it this way ..........................." or some other such saying.
 ;) Hope this helps ! ;D
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 11:53:57 AM »
Not only the Japanese, but the Koreans, and the Germans.  Montgomery, Al has a Hundai assembly plant,  West Point, Georgia has a Kia plant, Tuscaloosa, Al has a Mercedes plant, near Talladega, Al has a Honda plant, near Chattanooga, TN is a Voltswagon plant.  Tennesse also has a Nissan plant.  Near Jackson, Ms is a Toyota plant.  They also have a lot of parts supplier manufacturers around, making wheels, tires, wiring harnesses, etc.  Our textile industry has gone, but in it's place is auto manufacturing and associated suppliers.  Northern union guys may say the pay is less, but it costs less to live in the south, and a non-union manufacturing job is better than nothing.  At least they have jobs that can provide for a family, with insurance and benefits.  So they only make $15-$18 an hour, but that is better than an $8 an hour minimum wage job, which is probably part time.  They also have 401-k plans so they can provide for their retirements.  A new house down here can be built for about $110/sq ft.  Don't know what they cost up north.  I know gasoline is less expensive down here.  Electricity is about $0.12/kilowatt hour.  We have peach, pecan, apple, pear, plum, and walnut trees.  Our growing season is longer so gardening is a good cost effective way to reduce grocery bills.  We have a lot of wildlife to hunt.  CC permits are easy to obtain.  Castle laws are in effect in most southern states.  The list goes on.  We don't want liberals coming here to "change" it, like California or the east coast, or now Colorado in Denver and other big Colorado cities.  I've heard about a lot of liberals moving from the west coast to Anchorage, AK and wanting to "change" things and get freaked out with everyone carrying a weapon. 

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 12:49:18 PM »
what shootall said.
just have a good time and don't
fret over it.

and don't say "geeze"
or " sew-dah" when you
want a cold drink

cold drink vending machines are
"coke boxes" regardless of the
brand on the front.

if your car needs service, you go
to the "ford house" or the "shovelay
house"

the state tree of texas is a "buh-khan"
tree , not a "pee-can"
a pee can is the thing that was under
the bed when i visited my paw-paw
when i was a little boy.

you should get by ok ;D
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »
Like Dixie said, it all depends on where you're from.

As a native New Englander myself, I and my fellow New Englanders don't consider anyone from outside of New England a Yankee. I realize that people from other parts of the country and England don't see it that way. I saw a sign at a Red Sox vs. Yankees game one time that said "Real Yankees love the Red Sox".
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 05:50:47 PM »
Frum Wisconsin, darn tooting yew is a yankee. But we good ole boys in the south don't mind yankees so much, it's them damn yankees that give us problems. Long as they go home after visiting it's okie dokie. Them what stays are called damn yankees.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Duke0313

• Contributor
  • I am the way, the truth, and the life. -John 14:6
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 08:34:21 PM »
What's the old saying?
A "Yankee" is a Northerner who comes down south for a visit and then goes home.
A "Damn Yankee" is one who comes down south and stays!
"Republic:  I like the sound of the word -- means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, however they choose.  Some words give you a deep feeling.  Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat. -John Wayne- The Alamo

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 01:54:43 AM »
I came here from ILL in 1969.  I already had southern values, religion, guns etc.  love grits and collards,  but I have NEVER been fully accepted.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 01:58:09 AM »
I came here from ILL in 1969.  I already had southern values, religion, guns etc.  love grits and collards,  but I have NEVER been fully accepted.

Sounds like you haven't lost your roots !

Offline mannyrock

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 06:52:48 AM »

And if you want a soft drink, don't EVER say you want a "pop."  Dumbest thing we've ever heard.

In the South, use the word "Coke".  It is a generic word for any kind of cola softdrink you may want.  The only citric softdrinks that are acceptable are Seven Up and Dew.  Only Yankees as for a "Sprite."

Manny

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 06:58:05 AM »
  I was born and live in the North..but have spent a reasonable amount of my life in the South..

As far as I am concerned..a Yankee.. is some kind of high paid baseball player.. ;) ;D
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 07:09:06 AM »
I thought Wisconsonites were known the world over as "cheddar heads".  Isn't ordering iced tea instead of sweet tea a dead giveaway of being a Yankee?

Offline Rex in OTZ

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 07:32:35 AM »
Happiness to a Alaskan is a Yankee headed south with a Southerner under each arm :D

You guys from down south of Canada all talk about the oddist things.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 07:39:24 AM »
I thought Wisconsonites were known the world over as "cheddar heads".  Isn't ordering iced tea instead of sweet tea a dead giveaway of being a Yankee?
That's funny , Last week I was in Alabama on vacation . I ordered un sweet tea and told the waitress I was diebetic not a yankee . She laughed .

Offline Swift One

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 07:43:10 AM »
A yankee is someone whos relatives won the civil war.........That ought to get the fire stoked!!!  Now, where did I set my pop down at? 
It's all a hot mess...........

Offline Awf Hand

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 10:01:52 AM »
Coke?!  I was going to get an RC or Dr. Pepper.  Now I’m all kinds of confused. ;D

Just my Awf Hand comments...

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 10:15:21 AM »
What do you mean by "pop"?  I thought that stuff was "cold drink".. ;)
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 10:29:36 AM »

Sounds like you haven't lost your roots !
my roots are planted farther out in the boonies than most georgians.  I went my first 7 years of elem school in the last one-room school in the state.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2012, 11:45:25 AM »
Frum Wisconsin, darn tooting yew is a yankee. But we good ole boys in the south don't mind yankees so much, it's them damn yankees that give us problems. Long as they go home after visiting it's okie dokie. Them what stays are called damn yankees.
Amen!!!! Preach brother preach! ROFL

Offline muznut 54

• A Real Regular
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 11:46:32 AM »
Most Maine'rs are very nice people except for some drunks and we like Reb's because they go home when it gets cold. ;D

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2012, 01:50:31 PM »
Real Yankees don't drink pop, they drink tonic.  ;)

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline nw_hunter

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2012, 02:13:08 PM »
Happiness to a Alaskan is a Yankee headed south with a Southerner under each arm :D

You guys from down south of Canada all talk about the oddist things.

SEE................................You GUY'S.  Yup! Your a Yankee! And a cold one ;)

Freedom Of Speech.....Once we lose it, every other freedom will follow.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2012, 06:01:37 PM »
Sum folks don't know what ya'll means. Yup that's a dead giveaway of a yankee.

Most Maine'rs are very nice people except for some drunks and we like Reb's because they go home when it gets cold.  ;D

Ya got that right, we don't like cold weather.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 06:02:07 PM »
Sum folks don't know what ya'll means. Yup that's a dead giveaway of a yankee.

Most Maine'rs are very nice people except for some drunks and we like Reb's because they go home when it gets cold.  ;D

Ya got that right, we don't like cold weather.

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 06:08:32 PM »
66 degrees f. outside right now. .

'bout half froze  :P
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2012, 02:04:40 AM »
Hey we get a couple lobsters down , a little sight seeing and head home ! ;D

In Va. and other states along I 95 we have a group of yankees that well we call snow birds . Most are up in age and well there are lots of them. Did I say lots of them. They cause all sorts of traffic problems along their migrations up and down the interstate. Many maybe should not be driving ( as should not locals suffering the effects of old age to the point they can't operated a motor vehicle well ) . Just saying !

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2012, 03:08:38 AM »
Youze guys shore this discussion belongs in this forum? 

I think it actually belongs in the "Civil War aka War of Northern Aggression Discussion" forum.

;D ;D ;D

"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2012, 03:14:29 AM »
Va likes yankees , they help keep Va green with all the speeding tickets and other violations  ;D