Author Topic: What is a Yankee?  (Read 1899 times)

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
Re: What is a Yankee?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 04:03:16 AM »
Hey we get a couple lobsters down , a little sight seeing and head home ! ;D

In Va. and other states along I 95 we have a group of yankees that well we call snow birds . Most are up in age and well there are lots of them. Did I say lots of them. They cause all sorts of traffic problems along their migrations up and down the interstate. Many maybe should not be driving ( as should not locals suffering the effects of old age to the point they can't operated a motor vehicle well ) . Just saying !
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Why do you call them "snowbirds"?  Is it because of the weather or because of the color of their hair?.. ;) ;D ;D

Most professional truck drivers call RVs... "recreational roadblocks".. ;) :D ;D
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 04:08:36 AM »
Hey we get a couple lobsters down , a little sight seeing and head home ! ;D

In Va. and other states along I 95 we have a group of yankees that well we call snow birds . Most are up in age and well there are lots of them. Did I say lots of them. They cause all sorts of traffic problems along their migrations up and down the interstate. Many maybe should not be driving ( as should not locals suffering the effects of old age to the point they can't operated a motor vehicle well ) . Just saying !
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Why do you call them "snowbirds"?  Is it because of the weather or because of the color of their hair?.. ;) ;D ;D

Most professional truck drivers call RVs... "recreational roadblocks".. ;) :D ;D

because they go to FL in the fall and return north in the spring  ;) Truck drivers have alot to talk about when they get side by side for miles on up hill grade and nither has the power to pass the other or sense to get out of the way of other traffic.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline muznut 54

• A Real Regular
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 09:18:02 AM »
We have the same problem here in Maine in summer and early fall we call it getting baygoed, getting stuck behind a Winnebago going up a mountain. :o

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2012, 09:20:50 AM »
My brother married a Yankee, then she became a Damn Yankee.  Shortly after that they got divorced.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2012, 11:50:18 AM »
Well, I'm Southern born and bred but my wife of 39 years insists she'll Yankee my head off  if I don't behave! She's half Irish and half Blackfoot so this Cherokee Scot believes her too! ;)

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 03:01:52 PM »
She's half Irish and half Blackfoot so this Cherokee Scot believes her too! ;)

I had a perfectly good smarmy comment to make about that and then realized I can't decide which of the three is the orneryest! :o ;)
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2012, 04:28:49 PM »
Where I'm from y'all (yaul) is a type of sail boat and Pop is what we call our fathers... a carbonated beverage is a soda or soft drink.  If you ask for tea in a restaurant where I'm from it will be served hot in a small cup. 

When someone born in the south ask me if I'm one of those "Damn Yankees"  my response is "Yes... and you must be one of those sore losers."  ;D ;)

Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2012, 04:43:59 PM »
well. . . . .

they have hot tea at a few places here,
but they ask if you wan spling loal oah
leg loal wid numbah sebben when you
order
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2012, 03:48:11 AM »
Awf Hand:

I encounter the term yankee as someone who "isn't from around here". Usually I hear it as damyankee, one word, indicating not from the South, but moved to the south.

Offline jdt48653

• Contributor
  • walk softly and carry a 264
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2012, 04:21:18 PM »
A yankee is someone whos relatives won the civil war.........That ought to get the fire stoked!!!  Now, where did I set my pop down at?
JAJAJAHAHAHAHJAJAJ,,,lmfao,lol

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2012, 02:45:52 PM »
well. . . . .

they have hot tea at a few places here,
but they ask if you wan spling loal oah
leg loal wid numbah sebben
when you
order
??????????? Is that some unknown southern regional dialect from one of the backwoods hallah's?
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2012, 03:35:40 PM »
that's the way the little gray-headed
oriental lady asks about your meal
at the local chinese joint.

the only place i can think of to get
store-bought hot tea around here.

she's a good one. naturalized.
doesn't talk about "back home'
she'll tell you quick she's american.
wish there were more like her.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2012, 06:03:49 AM »
that's the way the little gray-headed
oriental lady
asks about your meal
at the local chinese joint.

the only place i can think of to get
store-bought hot tea around here.

she's a good one. naturalized.
doesn't talk about "back home'
she'll tell you quick she's american.
wish there were more like her.

Being American is a state of mind, and loyalty to our great country.  Here your ethnic background doesn't mean spit, that's why I get so pissed off by those that come here, and then complain about how things are done here.  If your "old country" was so good, why did they bother coming here?  Don't come here and try to change it to that dirty little cesspool you escaped from.

Sometimes, I think that some 3rd or 4th generation Americans, don't appreciate what there ancestors had to go thru to come here.  They are usually the ones that take our freedoms for granted, and aren't willing to sacrifice, or serve for the betterment of our country.

BTW - Up here you can get hot tea, with milk, with lemon, plain with sugar, without sugar, Earl Gray, Green tea.  Etc.  Guess I'm a Yankee. ;D
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2012, 08:09:25 AM »
well up there you need hot tea to warm ya. down here the sun does it last year down here we had about 4 weeks of winter . it almost got to 0 a couple days .  ;)  enjoy that tea and God bless your heart  ;D

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2012, 08:14:08 AM »

And if you want a soft drink, don't EVER say you want a "pop."  Dumbest thing we've ever heard.

In the South, use the word "Coke".  It is a generic word for any kind of cola softdrink you may want.  The only citric softdrinks that are acceptable are Seven Up and Dew.  Only Yankees as for a "Sprite."

Manny
Better yet, if you are really back in the "sticks' and you need a cold softdrink, just ask for a " BellyWash"!! They will know what you arte talking about!!
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2012, 09:07:42 AM »
Do you now or have you ever eaten grits? If no you are a Yankee, if you put any sort of syrup on them you are a Yankee.

Without looking to reference material what day was R.E. Lee born? If you don't know you are a Yankee.

If you don't understand how a coke is an orange pop, then you are a Yankee. If your alphabet needs both R's and G's you are a Yankee.

If you don't get the whole Gold Bond Powder thing you are a Yankee. If the local fire dept. fish fry is serving Walleye you are a Yankee (and to be honest you are eating much better  ;) ). All fish is rolled in cornmeal and fried by the way, hell everything is fried for that matter. ;D

If you ask for sugar for your ice tea you are a Damn Yankee cause all tea in the south is " Sweet Tea ", no such thing as ice tea.

Unless you are a Yankee when your girlfriend claims to have brought home mud bugs you get a big ol smile, cause you know your eating good tonight.

Finally Yankee is as much a state of mind as a point of birth. I'm from Il. ( proud to be from Illinois ) and I pass for southern all the time.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2012, 09:19:43 AM »
don't confound country with Southern  ;)

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2012, 09:33:25 AM »
You might have a point as it is Minnesotans who ask If I'm from Al. or Mo. or some such place.

I would prefer to be Southern and expatriated to Mn. As it stands I'm a refugee, having fled the Peoples Republic of Illinois. The people are nice, the politics are civil (chuck full of nice people who think that makes them Democrats ::) ) if not strange. Jesse Ventura and Al Franken need I say more?. Summer is tolerable and  that makes winter tolerable.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2012, 09:39:26 AM »
there are alot of damn yankees that are accepted in the South and would be missed if they went back up north. It's the carpet baggers we don't like ..............

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2012, 01:52:28 PM »
If your alphabet needs both R's and G's you are a Yankee.

EQ,

I agree with most of your statements except this one. Real Yankees (from New England) don't need no stinkin R's and G's
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2012, 05:18:36 PM »
If your alphabet needs both R's and G's you are a Yankee.

EQ,

I agree with most of your statements except this one. Real Yankees (from New England) don't need no stinkin R's and G's
I beg to differ, the real Yankees are from the Bronx,  ;) Real Yankees definitely don't wear Red Sox!  ;D

Do you now or have you ever eaten grits? If no you are a Yankee, if you put any sort of syrup on them you are a Yankee.

Without looking to reference material what day was R.E. Lee born? If you don't know you are a Yankee.

If you don't understand how a coke is an orange pop, then you are a Yankee. If your alphabet needs both R's and G's you are a Yankee.

If you don't get the whole Gold Bond Powder thing you are a Yankee. If the local fire dept. fish fry is serving Walleye you are a Yankee (and to be honest you are eating much better  ;) ). All fish is rolled in cornmeal and fried by the way, hell everything is fried for that matter. ;D

If you ask for sugar for your ice tea you are a Damn Yankee cause all tea in the south is " Sweet Tea ", no such thing as ice tea.

Unless you are a Yankee when your girlfriend claims to have brought home mud bugs you get a big ol smile, cause you know your eating good tonight.

Finally Yankee is as much a state of mind as a point of birth. I'm from Il. ( proud to be from Illinois ) and I pass for southern all the time.
I've eaten grits and love them, no syrup needed.  Just add a little butter and salt.
Can't say I know what day Bobby Lee was born without using reference material.
I understand how a coke is an Orange pop, BTW I also know Coke was invented in Georgia.
I have to admit, I need R's and G's in my alphabet.
I get and know about the Gold Bond Powder thing.  ;D
The local Fire Dept. fish fry usually serves breaded catfish, not Walleye.
Where I live, sweet tea doesn't need sugar.
We eat mud bugs when in season, especially when we get a chance to go to "N'awlins".

Six out of eight.  Guess that makes me a?  I don't know, maybe a confused Yankee? ;D or a lost southerner. 

Guess SHOOTALL is right, I confused country with southern.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #51 on: September 25, 2012, 02:22:04 AM »
there's probably no such thing as a true full-blooded southerner.
after the yankees kicked the rebels butts, they went around raping the women and girls and leaving behind little half-yankee babies and then during reconstruction the yankees who were occupying the south married southern women.
if the south had won, they would have left little half-rebel babies in the north. ;D
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2012, 03:00:40 AM »
First OSR you rank GOOD old country boy at the least  ;D
Second BUGEYE no there would not be half Southern brats in the north mind you ! Southerners have standards you know !  ;D and since we didn't win you can't prove otherwise !  8)

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2012, 03:07:33 AM »
Second BUGEYE no there would not be half Southern brats in the north mind you ! Southerners have standards you know !  ;D and since we didn't win you can't prove otherwise !  8)
;D can't argue with that...  I did marry a southern girl from west Tenn and she's still the best looking thing I've ever seen.
she must have lowered her standards because she was sober.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2012, 03:10:55 AM »
BTW this winning thing is not what you yank's think. The South was the first in a long line of places the US govt. sent troops in to force it's way . After which it spent millions rebuilding and stepping all over itself to not look like a bad guy . In reality over the long haul like Germany , Japan , NV etc. the South has flurished . Hey Southerners seldom go to yankee town for vacation , seldom go north for the summer , there is Southern cooking but I don't believe I have seen a northern cooking show and the list goes on. Then there is the New South no new north etc. Cooporations are moving South not north, on my trip to Alabama a week or so ago I saw businesses with names like River city steel and other names that surely started up north but moves south to supply the new industry in the South like car and truck making etc.
 Ya'll keep thinking ya won  ;)  it's good for Southern business  ;D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2012, 03:13:38 AM »
;D can't argue with that...  I did marry a southern girl from west Tenn and she's still the best looking thing I've ever seen.
she must have lowered her standards because she was sober.
For the record I fly an American flag at my house the war was over before I was born to Southern parents ( a few got thru it seems) . But I do love the N/S fun as long as it stays fun. I have to be nice it seems alot of the good guns come from yankee land  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2012, 03:37:03 AM »
I beg to differ, the real Yankees are from the Bronx,  ;) Real Yankees definitely don't wear Red Sox!  ;D

They might be called Yankees but they're not real Yankees :P
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yankee
The term Yankee (sometimes shortened to Yank) has several interrelated meanings, referring to people from the United States. Within the US it refers to people originating in the northeastern US, or still more narrowly New England, where application of the term is largely restricted to the descendants of colonial English settlers in the region.[1] Outside the US it is used to refer to people from the US in general
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2012, 03:37:58 AM »
I've been in Ga. for 43 years and would not leave it unless there was a revolution in Ill. and all the liberals were killed.
my favorite fishin-hole is horseshoe lake in southern Ill.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2012, 11:37:43 AM »
I've been in Ga. for 43 years and would not leave it unless there was a revolution in Ill. and all the liberals were killed.
my favorite fishin-hole is horseshoe lake in southern Ill.

I've fished there many a time. :)

Double, to anyone South of the Mason/Dixon line a Yankee is anyone North of it pure and simple. Don't matter if it's North East nor North West.

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2012, 12:45:18 PM »

I've fished there many a time. :)

I love that lake, crappie and blue-gills by the millions.
it was unusual to catch a SMALL bluegill.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye