Author Topic: model 70 bolt hard to close  (Read 990 times)

Offline theblackcloud

• Trade Count: (0)
model 70 bolt hard to close
« on: September 19, 2012, 04:23:41 PM »
i have a model 70 in 30.06.  when the safety is on (middle) the bolt is smooth as butter.  but when on "fire" the bolt is kinda tough to close.  i always oil my guns (if not over oil - when the gun is gonna sit awhile)  what causes this?

Offline Savage_99

• Contributor
Re: model 70 bolt hard to close
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 05:35:36 PM »
The M70 does cock the firing pin just a little bit more on closing which spreads the work over the bolt lift/cock effort.

Not sure how 'tough' it is?

Offline theblackcloud

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 07:15:48 PM »
Sometimes it feels like it's getting caught up on something .. it could just be me.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 11:23:47 PM »
Mine are the same way.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 01:20:33 AM »
It should be 'cock on closing', which would make it a bit tougher when you close the bolt.  If you think something is dragging or binding, use some machinists blue on the bolt lug flats and the bolt body to see if you get any scrape marks.  If not, the added resistance you feel is the firing pin spring being compressed as you close the bolt. 
Check and see if the bolt feels the same when you are chambering a round (you may wish to make up a dummy round for this purpose) and if there is no difference then that's the way she is. 
It's not really 'tough', just more resistance, right? 
I just checked my Model 70, made in 1969.  The bolt will not cycle open if the safety is engaged.  If the safety lever is in the center it is still as smooth as it is when the safety is not engaged.   Again, is it more resistance or is it drag??

Offline Val

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 07:56:10 AM »
Are you inserting the round directly into the chamber or are you using the magazine? A gunsmith told me that you should load a model 70 from the magazine. I had the same problem and indeed when I loaded from the magazine it worked just fine.
Hunting and fishing are not matters of life or death. They are much more important than that.

Offline theblackcloud

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 07:51:37 PM »
for whatever reason, it seemed fine after about 3 shots at the range today?????  i'm not sure what it was, but i'm not complaining anymore lol

Offline billyjack

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 03:09:14 PM »
I have a FN model 70 fwt. and it,s as smooth as butter in any position.