Author Topic: Opinions on the AR-7  (Read 5369 times)

Offline shawlerbrook

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
  • Avid Poster
Opinions on the AR-7
« on: September 22, 2012, 10:01:49 AM »
I am looking for a compact traveling gun. What is your opinion of this rifle if you own or owned one ? Basically looking for quality, functioning and accuracy characteristics. Thanks in advance for your input.

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Opinions on the AR-7
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 11:19:50 AM »
I've gone through probably half a dozen over the years and the newer ones made currently by Henry look pretty darn good.  One real enhancement is a much more stable scope base that the earlier models lacked.  Triggers - never the best but workable.  Functioning was reliable with both target/standard/subsonic, and high speeds.  Barrel needs a stabalizer (weight or tri-rail attachment type thingy) of sorts to get more accuracy from it but as it comes from the box you can chase squirrels easily to 50 yds, and maybe even hit them.  I have always found rabbits to be easier targets and chipmunks to be the toughest.
I s'pose I shoulda asked first what you meant by a travelling gun.  If you mean something to hang out the window to pot dinner - yeah, they will do that.
Quality - cast aluminum body, steel innards; not the best of match-ups but very workable, should be kept oiled.  HTH.

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 11:45:08 AM »
I've gone through probably half a dozen over the years and the newer ones made currently by Henry look pretty darn good.  One real enhancement is a much more stable scope base that the earlier models lacked.  Triggers - never the best but workable.  Functioning was reliable with both target/standard/subsonic, and high speeds.  Barrel needs a stabalizer (weight or tri-rail attachment type thingy) of sorts to get more accuracy from it but as it comes from the box you can chase squirrels easily to 50 yds, and maybe even hit them.  I have always found rabbits to be easier targets and chipmunks to be the toughest.
I s'pose I shoulda asked first what you meant by a travelling gun.  If you mean something to hang out the window to pot dinner - yeah, they will do that.
Quality - cast aluminum body, steel innards; not the best of match-ups but very workable, should be kept oiled.  HTH.

I have a NIB 30 + model......what type of ammo do they like?

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 11:52:31 AM »
i have the old charter arms.
wouldn't take for it.

i hear henry has improved it
quite a bit.

only ammo i ever had trouble with
was the old remington trunticated
point rounds.
but then again, none of my other
.22's fed good with it.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline spruce

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 12:05:08 PM »
I have one made by Armalite.  It functions well with ammo it likes (round nose profile).  Certainly not target grade accuracy, but okay to pot a few squirrels or rabbits.

They don't weigh much so they're a little hard to hold steady - but with a little practice they aren't bad.
You really should have one - I mean how many rifles do you own that FLOAT!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 12:25:36 AM »
FPH:  Mine will eat just about any ammo I put through it except for some foreign stuff (Mexican made I believe).  There is some other stuff too but mostly they are advertizedf as sub-sonic but don't seem to have enough poop to cycle the action.  Mine handle Remington Subsonics and CCI Standard Velocity just fine and give me pretty good accuracy. 
One thing to note about the AR-7 is the flat face of the chamber area of the barrel.  Years ago I ahd one that would just not feed anything until I 'ramped' it with a Dremel.  All that was needed was a small 'dimple' leading to the chamber and she then fed and cycled everything I put through it.  It was probably a magazine problem but at least it worked.; never blew any brass either.

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 04:49:55 PM »
I have a Henry model thats about 4 years old. Mine likes copper washed round nosed the best. Plain lead bullets of any profile lead to jamming issues in mine. If I let it go too long between cleanings fouling will build up on the breech of the barrel. When this happens I will get light primer strikes and FTF's. I suspect its because the bolt wont close fully when its dirty, but I am talking filthy dirty after a couple hundred rounds. Overall I am pretty happy with mine.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline darkgael

• The readiness is all. 4049 posts from the “old” gb
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 10:59:21 PM »
I had one of the Charter Arms models. My son has it now; keeps it on his boat.
It is a handy little item and passable regarding all of aspects mentioned in the OP.
Probably the most important aspect of use is determining what is the best ammo for it. Get reliable functioning and it'll get the job done.
At this point in time, there is no other gun quite like it. I am tempted to buy another.
And, yeah, it floats.

Offline Flynmoose

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 03:48:03 AM »
After reading this thread I dug out my Henry AR7 that I bought about ten years ago. I had some FTFs and sent it in to Henry. I got it back FAST, took it out yesterday and it shoots great! I can't find enough good to say about Henry products and warranty service. Mine likes Mini Mags.
FM
Dear God please protect our troops, especially the snipers.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 01:48:08 AM »
I have one that is a Carter Arms, it only shoots CCI mini mags or stingers with no problems. If I try Federal American Eagle, they won't feed. Sights are not the best, but they will work on larger small game, rabbits and groundhogs. Squirrels if they are close.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 03:17:09 AM »
I had one for a short time. The swell of the butt stock was so high that I could not get my face down low enough to use the iron sights.  I guess that was necessary to accomidate the action in the stock when put away.  Anyway I could only use it with a scope which of course had to come off to put it away.  Then I had the problem of what to do with the scope to protect it and keep it all together when broken down kind of spoiled the concept.  If I wanted a compact .22 rifle again I would buy the new Ruger which comes with it's case and will pack with a scope on it.  Nope, it won't float, but Michigan will not allow you to have a firearm when you are out on the water anyway so that's not a concern for me.  And you can buy Ruger mags anywhere if you need another.  Yup, the 'survival' concept is neat, but me? I'd buy the Ruger.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Drilling Man

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 04:50:52 AM »
  I had two or three of the Charter Arms models.  I remember that two of them broke one of the ears off the front of the stock, it was a weak area...  (i knew of one other that broke too)  All three of them jammed a lot and i ended up not keeping any of them.

I hope Henry made some improvements in them!

DM

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 09:11:13 AM »
I guess there is a real question as to whether Henry Arms can continue to even produce the AR-7 rifle under kid cuomo's new law.  According to the law, even thoough it is a rimfire, it has a detaachable stock, a detachable barrel and a 8 round magazine that loads in front of the trigger guard - 3 no-no's under the kids new law. 

I guessd this is gonna be a wait and see sort of thing for the AR-7.  Oh yeah, if you own one and live in ny, you must either register it as a assault rifle for face death (I said that)...

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 09:20:20 AM »
I guess there is a real question as to whether Henry Arms can continue to even produce the AR-7 rifle under kid cuomo's new law.  According to the law, even thoough it is a rimfire, it has a detaachable stock, a detachable barrel and a 8 round magazine that loads in front of the trigger guard - 3 no-no's under the kids new law. 

I guessd this is gonna be a wait and see sort of thing for the AR-7.  Oh yeah, if you own one and live in ny, you must either register it as a assault rifle for face death (I said that)...

maybe time to relocate and take more jobs South to gun friendly states with right to work laws.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline 44 Man

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 03:44:18 PM »
Shootall, I think that is a very good question!  Why don't these companys relocate to gun friendly states and take their taxes with them.  Go somewhere they appreciate you and your business instead of continually making restrictions and trying to run you out of business.  I see no reason for any of the major gun manufacturs to be located in the north east!  I am confused as to why any are still there!  I wish Henry well, but relocating would be the best option.  44 Man

Offline JonnyReb

• Trade Count: (89)
  • Where is John Galt?
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 04:30:10 PM »
 Well speaking of relocating gun manufacturing facilities, just today, the gov of S..C. made it public that he's been wooing Remington to relocate its facilities to that wonderfully backward yet not state. Low taxes and plenty of state support would make it attractive I hope. I've read texas has made similar offers.

I bought a new style mossy oak Henry AR-7 and promptly took it out back and ran a clip of stingers through it. Amazingly it gave me a great group at 20 or so yards. I couldn't even see the group or my pattern until I walked up. I was pleasantly surprised. Cleaned it and put it up, never have shot it since but its there and waiting for that canoe\camping trip that never seems to happen.  J
Active trader until 9-11-14 GB

Offline rhernandez914

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2013, 07:10:32 PM »
I have one of the newer Henry AR-7 type rifles. It is very reliable rifle with the different types of 22 LR I ran through it.

The Henry is nicer (quality wise) than the older Charter Arms I use to have years ago. My only complaints is the trigger which is just okay.

I think it is worth the money and a nice compact plinker. 

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 10:07:03 AM »
I just bought one yesterday.  Took it to the range with the only ammo I could get, Winchester Lead Hollow Points.  Had several jams, failed to properly eject the spent case.  Causing the next round to get bent as it tried to load.  Going to clean it good and try some CCI Stingers I found in the garage last night.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 10:52:04 AM »
I just bought one yesterday.  Took it to the range with the only ammo I could get, Winchester Lead Hollow Points.  Had several jams, failed to properly eject the spent case.  Causing the next round to get bent as it tried to load.  Going to clean it good and try some CCI Stingers I found in the garage last night.
I had similar problems with my old charter arms version.  Read that reducing magazine load to 5 rounds may help - haven't tried that yet.  Also, make sure the barrel nut is tight!

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 01:38:56 PM »
i don't think any of them like
cheap promo ammo, although i
realize there's not much available now
ammo-wise. it's not really a firearm
to be shot daily or i should say on a regular
basis like a steel framed and barreled
expensive target gun. it's a just-in-case
better-than-a-sharp-stick type firearm.
something that a box of quality .22
would last a good while with.
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline wolverine_1

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2013, 02:24:13 PM »
Bought a Henry a couple of weeks ago.  Like it much better than the Charter Arms I had years ago.  That one had a bent barrel and lots of FTFs.  The Henry likes the Remingtons I fed it but not the Federals, so I won't use Federals.  I also got a third mag which also fits in the stock.
Gene

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2013, 03:41:58 PM »
Just got back from the range.  The AR-7 likes CCI Mini-mag with the copper plated bullets.  Shot three mags full, no problems.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline spooked

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 03:32:25 AM »
Had a new Henry version..twas a jamomatic..very picky about ammo fed to it..very poor sights...was better than no gun at all...wouldn't trade a Taurus pump for a dozen of 'em if i had to depend on them..
Lost between sunrise and sunset yesterday-one golden hour...never to be found or reclaimed:-(

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 04:08:16 AM »
Just got back from the range.  The AR-7 likes CCI Mini-mag with the copper plated bullets.  Shot three mags full, no problems.
After cleaning it and reassembly did you try any of the all lead rounds again? 

Offline FPH

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 04:13:09 AM »

That has been the most reliable round I have tried in any semi-auto, from the AR-7 to an old Stevens to a 10/22.  I keep the lead bullets for my bolt guns

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 08:22:51 AM »
I've since shot it a lot.  Only works with copper plated or jacketed bullets.  Will not handle lead bullets well.  With lead sometimes I will have three of four jams in a row, then it will shoot five or six times then jam again.  No jams with the copper plated or jacketed bullets.  I do hate the sights, they are just too hard to get to.  Oh well it's a survival gun anyway. 

My partner took his older AR-7, made by someone else, not Henry.  He had said it never worked.  He brought out a bunch of Winchester lead 22s.  told him I did not think they would work to try the CCIs.  He fussed and said "No I always shoot Winchester".  "If it don't shoot Winchester I don't want it".  He kept getting stove pipes.  I loaded some CCIs and shot it with no jams.  That just made him madder.  I think in a couple of weeks he will come around.  He is all bluff and bluster anyway.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 11:28:17 AM »
I've since shot it a lot.  Only works with copper plated or jacketed bullets.  Will not handle lead bullets well. 

I have a Charco version and this is EXACTLY what I have to do. ONLY HV and then plated bullets. Rem Goldens, CCI maxi mags and Winchester XPEDITERS are all about perfect. Newwe Winchester ''varmint'' and CCI VELOCITERS have also been good. BUT I havent shot allot of them as I dont have alot. ;)

MOST of the bad rap with these guns came form shooting bulk or std vel ammo. Clean it and keep it feed with HIGH VEL PLATED AMMO and I'll bet all yours will shoot better!  ::) ::)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 03:44:51 PM »
I intend to shoot nothing but high velocity plated or jacketed bullets in this gun.  Also have the same problem with my Remington pump.  It does not like lead bullets either.  Just won't load them properly.
What Is A Veteran?

Offline 44 Man

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2013, 04:13:40 AM »
Well, I'm not going to hijack this thread and I don't want to head it in a different direction: BUT I do have to mention that I have never had luck in ANY firearm with Winchester .22's.  Good to go with Rem Goldens, and bulk Federal HP's, and CCI's, but not Winchester's.  They seem to be lower powered and grouping has not been there.  Just my 2cts.  44 Man

On the same note of the AR-7 being ok for a 'survival' rifle.  Is that the one you would grab if you had to head into the woods and expected to have to live there for a while?  Really?  44 Man

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2013, 06:54:19 AM »
Winchester Xepiditers I mention are one of there first HYPER velocity loadings, they have been discontinued for some time. But they shot and functioned 100% for me. I always liked the rem goldens, growing up my uncle bought us kids a case. It sat in the closet on the floor in his room. As we had to do was ask and be handed us a clear yellow square box or three. They work well for everything a 12 yr old shot. Cans, frogs squirrels trees charging dragons. Etc. for about the past fifteen years they have allot of duds. I don't buy them anymore because of it. Thankfully I have most of a case of old stuff that works pretty well.

CCI is pretty much THE standard for a good RF 22 IMHO.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.