Author Topic: 13" mortar needs restoration  (Read 3448 times)

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
13" mortar needs restoration
« on: September 23, 2012, 04:22:00 AM »
I had a guy hit my website that had found a very large mortar at "Bronx Community College".
He does not know for sure if it was 13", but he said it was huge. 
He and his Brother, who are both Vietnam Vets, have taken it upon themselves to try to get the college to restore the gun.  He says there are also two German guns laying in the weeds.

This is the only picture I have.  He says he will be returning there in about a month and will get more pictures.  I told him to take a good camera.  Get close up pictures of everything, particularly, any markings which might be on the trunnion faces or the muzzle face.  Should he look any where else for markings?
Does any one else out there know anything about this mortar?  Or even live close enough to go look at it?
I think he and his Brother have taken on a noble cause and would like to help him. 
He said he thinks the guns were put there in the 1920's and left ever since.
Could this be an unrecorded Civil War mortar?

I let him know that if he could get some numbers from it that it could be possible to get some history on it.  That would help develop some interest with the college for a restoration attempt.
I had to explain what the trunnions were so I want to be sure I can send him with as much info as I can when he goes to get more pictures.
Any help would be appreciated.
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
Re: 13" mortar needs restoration
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 06:03:02 AM »
Nice find, why do we never find anything like that in the weeds?
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 06:22:06 AM »
Nice find, why do we never find anything like that in the weeds?

We must not hang out in the Bronx. :o :o
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 07:19:37 AM »
Looks like everything on the side the photo was taken.  Looks like a rust a paint removal job.  Big question is do you take it completely apart to clean up the interior of the cheek piece walls or not.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 08:35:07 AM »
Looks like everything on the side the photo was taken.  Looks like a rust a paint removal job.  Big question is do you take it completely apart to clean up the interior of the cheek piece walls or not.

Depends on how much money you have.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 09:53:24 AM »
And what the present owner will let you do.  Would probably be easier to restore if taken home but then the owner would lose physical possession.  At least there was no wood to decay.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 10:01:36 AM »
A 17,000 lbs barrel is going to poise problems to work with.  If the barrel is to be removed remember to remove the top step first so as to not bend it when you lift the barrel out.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2012, 11:33:49 AM »
What serial nuber is it?  Just above the bore on the muzzle.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline lthardman

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2012, 01:11:37 PM »
I cannot provide any history, but that has got to be one of the most cool finds ever.  Can't tell from the photo, but I hope that muzzle is somehow protected, particularly the way it is positioned. 

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 01:29:23 PM »
The position of the barrel will speed up the erosion of the bore as it will collect and hold water.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 01:56:54 PM »
It's probably been in that position for 90 years. :'(
zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 03:16:25 PM »
That gun is far to clean to have been sitting there like for 90 years.  Still it.s been the while and that position can do no good.

Offline MKlein

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • Wetumpka, AL
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 03:56:04 PM »
They might be able to contact someone in Phillipsburg, NJ about what they did when they refurbished three at Shappell Park. Some of the labor was done for free by a local company. Looks like it needs a better home where it can be appreciated more, not behind a row of shrubs.

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/phillipsburg/index.ssf?/base/news-0/123320554511110.xml&coll=3

http://photos.lehighvalleylive.com/4424/gallery/Moving%20mortars%20in%20Shappell%20Park/index.html

Sand blasting time

Offline entsminger

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 08:17:11 AM »
Looks like it needs a better home where it can be appreciated more, not behind a row of shrubs.

They can bring it to my home and it will be well taken care of!! In fact I'll get a tractor trailer and come get it if needed!!  What a dream find !! Is it owned by an individual or the school? If it ever goes up for sale please let me know!!

Scott Springston

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2012, 01:17:57 PM »
Scott, sorry you will have to get in line behind me, I said "dibbs" as soon as I saw the post the day it was posted.  And as I think you know, I already have a 13" mortar shell I want to shoot with the thing.  After that round has been shot, I'll gladly resell it to you!

Offline entsminger

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 04:09:59 AM »
===Scott==
  If there's one thing I want more than just about anything in the world it would be a 13 inch mortar!!!! After you get it please  put me at the head of the line to buy it from you!!

Scott

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 11:30:16 AM »
OK Scott, no sweat.  By the way, you wouldn't mind pickin' it up for me would you?  That way you can kind of get the feel of it and all.

Offline entsminger

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 02:22:31 AM »
Will do!! When you sell me the 13 I'll most likely want that 10  as well, ha ha..They'd look great in my front yard!! Happy shooting!!!

Scott

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2012, 01:59:10 AM »
It appears that the school is interested in restoring the mortar.  The funds have to be raised.

Does any one have ideas on who to target for donations besides reenacting groups?  Raising funds a dollar at a time will not likely produce the results that are necessary.  Interest has to come from a corporate level.

How about the restoration process?  I'd like to do it myself but I'm geographically undesirable.  I have to think there is more involved that just taking a wirebrush to it to remove rust.
How much could this cost?
Any ideas are appreciated.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2012, 03:31:51 AM »
Until you come up with the funding, get all the vegetation away from it.  Vegetation is harmful in that it holds moisture on the piece.

As to funding the first thing is to get an estimate on how much the restoration will cost, then you will have a goal that you can refer to when asking for money.  Maybe a local company that does sandblasting would be willing to donate part or all of their services. 

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2012, 04:28:22 AM »
Is sandblasting the way to go on something like this?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2012, 05:15:57 AM »
Is sandblasting the way to go on something like this?
Zulu
There is a plastic bead blasting that does not stress or score the metal it will remove paint and some surface rust I used to work for a company on Long Island that did this with a moble unit all paint/media contained removed recycled we used this on classic cars fiberglass boat bottoms and it could even be used on aluminum aircraft skin.... it was developed by and engineer friend of mine who did the original set up for Grumman..... this would be the best method for stripping this down, look for compainies that offer no-chem paint stripping or plastic media blasting.

Allen <><
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2012, 10:03:47 AM »
Zulu, I don't know if you mentioned this to the person who sent you the picture of the mortar, but if he or you could exchange phone numbers he could possibly contact you from the mortar location and you could direct him to the areas needed to photo for ID. its only a thought and possibly all ready been done. Like you I'm a little concerned as to the inside if the barrel for corrosion. This however does not deter it from being restored as a museum piece..

Offline MKlein

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • Wetumpka, AL
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2012, 11:43:51 AM »
Ok, her is a place close by http://www.nj-painting.com/services/sandblasting/
I am going to take a wild guess but it might have come from Fort Schuyler. It would be a good place for it to be relocated to get appreciated, they also have a museum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Schuyler

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2012, 12:33:16 PM »
I don't think the college is going to give it up.  I'm not even sure who owns it.  There are other guns involved in this project also.  I will get pictures posted as soon as I get them.
I will make sure my friend knows where to look for markings.  He is monitoring this thread also.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 06:08:20 PM »
I think Ft. S. is run by the Coast GuardMerchant Marine Admin. which would have no interest in such an item, they never used anything like them.  If such weapons were actually AT Ft. S., perhaps.

As far as stripping the iron, I don't know that anything would be harmed by simple sandblasting.  Cast iron isn't disfigured at all by that process as far as I know, and it does a good job of knocking all the old paint and rust off.  You would not want to sandblast bronze, but cast iron should be OK with it.

Offline MKlein

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
  • Wetumpka, AL
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 11:13:02 AM »
Yes, the coast guard probably wouln't be interested.
http://binged.it/P8WuB6
Fort Schuyler 8.1 Miles Away, "Their interlocking batteries created a bottle-neck of defenses against ships attempting to approach New York City.
Fort Schuyler, at its peak, boasted 440 guns."
The Coast Guard was established January 28, 1915
I take it back about being a bad location, it looks like it is placed under the US Flag at the bottom of the flagpole.
http://binged.it/P8XzIZ

Offline Combat Vet

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 03:32:38 PM »
Hi all,
            Looks like the college is onboard for restoration of the cannons. I will be meeting with the President of the college next month to go over detail. Of course will take more detailed photos of the Mortar and the other cannons. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. We are looking for donations.

kevin

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 03:50:07 PM »
Combat Vet,
Welcome to the forum.  I'm glad to see you chip in here.  After all, this is your project.
I think a lot of us are anxious to see the markings you come up with when you go see the gun again.
If you have any questions, ask them here.  There are a lot of folks here who have a great deal of knowledge about that mortar. 
Tell us about the other guns that are there on site.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 06:49:17 AM »
Tell us about the other guns that are there on site.

'Scuse me for butting in, I was not asked, but one appears to be a German 77mm field gun, M1916.  It is aimed as if ready to open fire on Manhattan in case an inter-borough war ever breaks out.