Author Topic: 13" mortar needs restoration  (Read 3445 times)

Offline Combat Vet

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 13" mortar needs restoration
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2012, 08:44:41 AM »
Zulu
Thanks for the warm welocme Michael. Definitely looking forward to working on this project. Cannonman you are correct, there are two other cannons there and one is German for sure. Again, will take mnorte detailed photos when I go down next month. I also found out that they have two revolutionary war cannons in storage. I would like to see these.

kevin

Offline Combat Vet

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2012, 03:25:28 PM »
Hi all, went to Fort Independence in Boston Harbor today and they had an 8inch Mortar. Looks like a mini Dictator. Will try to post picture tomorrow.

kevin

Offline Combat Vet

« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 02:36:42 PM »
Here is the Mortar that is in Fort Independence, Boston, MA

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 05:03:58 PM »
Cannonman, used to live in Queens county and on occasion interboro wars did occur. Never did hear of them using artillery or other means of launching large projectiles. However there was an aborted attempt to launch gas cylinders by whacking off the valve and said cylinder would go into the river and when empty would sink. Course that was many years ago. Lotta stuff at the bottom of the east river. Frank

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2012, 02:16:34 AM »
I am helping the gentleman who found this mortar at the university in the Bronx.
Here are his words and pictures.  At least this gun was added as a "survivor"
Zulu

I spoke with Jim Bender via email and he will be adding the Civil War "Dictator" mortar to the Registry ofSurviving Civil War Artillery.
The weight on the mortar is [font=]17178 lbs and this is written on the muzzle of the gun. On the right rear side is a number 1190 which Jim Bender was able to read when he enlarged pics. [/font]
[font=]           According to a copy of a letter I have dated May 3, 1948 this mortar was presented to New York University on March 25, 1925 and served on the USS Albany. [/font]

[font=][/font]
[font=][/font]

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2012, 03:50:55 AM »
Thanks for the additional information.  In looking at these photographs, I would recommend that the grass that has overgrown the sides of the bed be removed as soon as possible.  The grass holds moisture next to the metal.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2012, 04:16:43 AM »
He told me that the barrel is full of water.  :-\
He also thinks that the restoration, whenever it takes place, will have to be done on site as a crane can't get close to it now.
First, the money has to be raised to restore the mortar as well as two captured German WWI guns and a British Naval deck gun of WWI origin.
The college is on board but this sounds like a lot of money to raise.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2012, 04:34:41 AM »
I'm not sure there's any truth to the reported connection with USS Albany.  I don't know of any vessel by that name which carried such a mortar.  I've researched the provenance of many Navy pieces in the National Archives and could do the same with this but would need all marks on the muzzle of the piece, not just what was given so far here.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2012, 05:43:40 AM »
I'm not sure there's any truth to the reported connection with USS Albany.  I don't know of any vessel by that name which carried such a mortar.  I've researched the provenance of many Navy pieces in the National Archives and could do the same with this but would need all marks on the muzzle of the piece, not just what was given so far here.

My ability to get information from the source on this is fairly limited.  I think that once the paint is removed, more markings will come to light.
What other markings besides weight would be on the muzzle face?
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2012, 06:18:08 AM »
Two more pics.
I believe this is the one that Jim Bender says reads 1190.

I'll post pictures of the WWI guns if someone tells me it's okay.  They are all part of the restoration project.

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2012, 06:38:09 AM »
Unfortunately you can't depress the muzzle enough to drain the water and to keep more from collecting in the bore without removing the top step.

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2012, 06:38:24 AM »
What other markings besides weight would be on the muzzle face?

-Founder
-Inspector's initials
-Gov' Registry Number
-Year of Manufacture/Inspection/Proof
-(if ordered by the Navy) "Fouled Anchor"

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2012, 08:34:41 AM »
I just got some more pictures.
I will post pics of the WWI guns.  If the Mod doesn't like them here I'm sure he will pull them.  They are all part of this project.
Zulu
The weight on the muzzle face.

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2012, 11:35:34 AM »
Perhaps the info is off as to the one cannon on the naval mount maybe that is the one that came from the USS Albany...... sometimes histories get muddeled as papers get lost..... I know a museum that has some 12 or 13 " cannon barrels off a crusier stored they thought they had 4 and are now down to 3 the believe the outfit storing them may have scrapped one of them.... they are having trouble finding their paperwork showing how many they recieved.....
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2012, 06:11:18 PM »
I suggest clear the vent get the water out .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2012, 08:56:01 PM »
Yes, clear the vent and tip it over backwards to drain the water.  Then caulk the vent and make a gasketed tampion that will keep water out of it.  If you can't clear the water this way, then try siphoning it with a hose or just dip it out with some kind of ladle.  Followed by a leaf blower until it is dry.  Then insert the tampion.

If the Mod doesn't like them here I'm sure he will pull them.

Certainly looks like muzzleloading black powder mortars to me.  The WW I stuff we will allow as peripherally related and part of the display.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2012, 04:35:48 AM »
Good ideas on getting the water out.  I think I would go with the siphoning as the easiest way.  I would suggest some type of metal treatment to prevent further rusting of the bore before installing the tampion.

I don't have a problem with the additional images.  I view this as an artillery preservation project which happens to have some WWI pieces.

Merry Christmas

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2012, 08:03:07 AM »
Aren't both of those WWI guns pre 1899 design?

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2012, 08:20:51 AM »
The howitzer - the one with the better wheels - is a model 1913, the gun is a model 1916, both German.
Max

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2012, 08:32:55 AM »
It's one thing to restore the mortar.  It's an entirely different animal to restore those German guns and the deck gun.  I don't think you could just sand blast and paint like you could on the mortar.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2012, 08:56:53 AM »
They need to be placed into the hands of those that recognize their historic significance, even minor significance and preserved...heaven forbid Mayor Bloomberg finds out they are in his area.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2012, 11:47:01 AM »
Kevin,
I don't know if you're still watching this thread, but if you are: do you and your brother intend to do this restoration work on your own, or are you attempting to get a group of volunteers together?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2012, 12:57:35 PM »
Kevin,
I don't know if you're still watching this thread, but if you are: do you and your brother intend to do this restoration work on your own, or are you attempting to get a group of volunteers together?

Cannoneer,
I don't think he is watching the thread.  That's why I'm helping.  He has kept me informed.
He is trying to set up some kind of donation program to restore all four guns.  I'm sure the work would be done by someone else.
If he keeps the info flowing to me, I will pass it on.  He doesn't live in New York so the site is not convenient to him.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Combat Vet

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2013, 01:42:23 AM »
Hi all, I was able to get back on and am here. We are trying to get the 13" Dictator mortar along with two German WW1 cannons and a Brisith Naval deck gun restored along with the grounds where they guns are on display. We have an account setup now. Anyone can donate and donations can be sent to the following address:
Bronx Community College
2155 University Avenue, PH 37
Bronx, NY  10453

Please put Fort # 8 Renovation Fund on your check. Also if anyone has any questions they can email me or my brother. Thanks for everyones help in this and we look forward to this project coming to fruition.
kevin

Offline Zulu

• Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2013, 01:50:21 AM »
Hi all, I was able to get back on and am here. We are trying to get the 13" Dictator mortar along with two German WW1 cannons and a Brisith Naval deck gun restored along with the grounds where they guns are on display. We have an account setup now. Anyone can donate and donations can be sent to the following address:
Bronx Community College
2155 University Avenue, PH 37
Bronx, NY  10453

Please put Renovation Fund on your check. Also if anyone has any questions they can email me or my brother. Thanks for everyones help in this and we look forward to this project coming to fruition.
kevin

Kevin,
Post your email address so folks can find you.  Registered users here can send you a personal message but there are thousands of people who are not registered on GBO who follow this forum.
Maybe millions! ;D ;D
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Combat Vet

« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2013, 02:48:45 AM »
Thanks Zulu and for all your help and information. Contact info is below:
Kevin mcso@metrocast.net
Bill william.farrell1@cox.net

Offline Artilleryman