Author Topic: Whites fall behind on smartphone usage.  (Read 495 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
Whites fall behind on smartphone usage.
« on: September 23, 2012, 04:24:41 PM »
Whites falling behind in smartphone usage, Nielsen study shows  Published September 23, 2012
New York Post    After all the hoopla, the Apple’s iPhone debut on Friday more than lived up to expectations, with analysts estimating as many as 10 million sales by tomorrow and more than 130 million by the end of the year..

But there is a surprising quirk in the numbers.
More than half of American mobile subscribers — 55.5 percent — are now owners of smartphones of all types, but for white people, the numbers make up just 45 percent, the lowest of any ethnic group, new findings from Nielsen show.
Sixty-six percent of Asians, 56 percent of Hispanics and 55 percent of African-Americans use smartphones to check e-mail, play games and surf the Web.
The report seems surprising in light of data showing a widening economic gap between whites and minorities.

One explanation for the higher smartphone penetration among minorities can be attributed to age. More young people buy smartphones than older people do — 66 percent of those ages 18 to 29 own them, compared with just 11 percent of those over 65. While the young minority population is quickly growing, 85 percent of the 40 million Americans over 65 are white.
Click for more from the New York Post.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/09/23/whites-falling-behind-in-smartphone-usage-nielsen-study-shows/#ixzz27LlITUdm
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
Re: Whites fall behind on smartphone usage.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
There's still some white peeps who use smart phones.
They Live Among Us.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 05:17:42 PM »
Here is a theory garnered from my daughters experience. A home computer is expensive internet access is expensive. The pc does not follow you around all day waiting for you to update your status.

She only has a cell phone / smart phone. The phone is more or less free ::) , all she has to pay for is the usage, part of which is considered a normal phone bill. Once in a while she will come home to use our PC most especially when a printer is needed.

So the young and broke crowd should be over represented, if my daughter is any indication. If the minority population is to be believed whites are no longer young or broke. The minority population is so downtrodden, the smartphone is ubiquitous among their peers. ::)

What a country!
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 01:27:32 AM »
I prefer small and inexpensive cell phones to the smart phones. I also dont like the cost of the smart phone data plans, in addition to cellular service.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 03:04:46 AM »
I wouldn't even have a cellphone except for my wife's and children's insistence. They think I "might need help" when I'm off by myself. It's possible and carrying the thing is easier than listening to them harp about it.

Mine is the smallest, cheapest, simplest, one I could find. I can't even text with it. Wouldn't know how if it did allow texting.  :-[

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 04:11:08 AM »
My favorite features on my cell phone are:
1) Turning it off and leaving it off
2) Turning the sounds off when the phone is on
3) Leaving it on vibrate if I'm expecting a call, this is its normal state.
4) The erase buttons.
5) Speed dial for my wife's phone and home phone
6) Contact list so I don't have to remember phone numbers
7) Caller ID so I don't pick up if I don't recognize the caller's number.

In other words, I get a nice communication tool that I have a lot of control over.

Feature I would like:
1) a button that lets me erase a recent voice mail that I don't want to listen to
2) Getting rid of my land line and replacing it with a cell phone, but without actually using a cell phone. Looking for something like a home handset that works with my cell phone.

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2012, 04:14:48 AM »
The features I look forward to are:
1) Getting rid of my daughter's cell phone after she leaves home,
2) replacing my wife and mine's two phones with just one that we share
3) getting rid of our landline.

Offline briarpatch

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 10:47:15 AM »
I wonder how many of those phones are payed for by taxpayers? (welfare)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 10:55:30 AM »
could it mean white folks have seen the reason new features are invented is to take more income away from us ? why do we need a smart phone ? are we stupid ? back in the day we remember phone numbers ask a kid to recite numbers most have to check contacts is that smart ? if the batt dies they have to wait to recharge before calling anyone .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2012, 11:22:45 AM »
I resemble that remark. I've never owned a smart phone and have no plans to ever own one. I actually still have a land line at my house. I have no need for a smart phone a dumb one does just fine for me and far better fits my computer technical skills.

I don't even know how to read the blasted text messages Verizon is all the time sending me. I know how to dial a number to talk to someone and how to answer when it rings but iffen it ain't a live person on the other end I just hang up. I get Matt to delete Verizon's text messages from time to time.

I turn my phone on an average of less than monthly and might go two or three months without turning it on unless I need to make a call while I'm away from home. On average my battery has to be charged from three to four times annually. Since it's never turned on it doesn't go thru the battery very fast. Matt can't even get thru a single day without putting his on charge.

I reckon I got a lot better things to do with my time than spend it on the phone. I have important tasks to handle like taking my daily nap and such.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 11:26:56 AM »
I wouldn't even have a cellphone except for my wife's and children's insistence. They think I "might need help" when I'm off by myself. It's possible and carrying the thing is easier than listening to them harp about it.

Mine is the smallest, cheapest, simplest, one I could find. I can't even text with it. Wouldn't know how if it did allow texting.  :-[

Sounds jist lak me. The thing is tho if I ever REALLY need it I'll likely be somewhere with no cell coverage like in most any place I hunt these days. I've found a couple of high spots on mountains in the CWMA I can get a weak signal otherwise it's none and in those spots move 50' and it's gone.

I did use it some the last time we took a trip west.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline powderman

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2012, 02:24:04 PM »
My wifes cell costed about $30, pretty simple thing. I wouldn't even know how to turn it on or off let alone answer it. Still have a landline, I hate tallking on a phone. POWDERMAN.  ::) ::)
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 02:29:44 PM »
GB, I only turn mine on when I take it with me and I try to "forget to take it" a lot.  ;D It spends most of it's time laying on the bar in the kitchen turned off. When I gave up and got the thing my wife insisted I leave it turned on all the time. I finally convinced her there was no need to wear out the battery recharging it because no one ever called me on it and I never called anyone either. Basically it's a waste of money but it costs very little since it's on my daughter's plan and it keeps everyone SHUT UP about Grandpa being old and needing to contact someone in an emergency.

We just returned from a vacation with the daughter and son-in-law. I left my phone home. Son-in-law couldn't get away from work as company men that had his number kept calling him. Wife & daughter's phones were constantly going ding- ding as texts came in. So much for getting away from it all.

I really long for the days when there was only landlines and you could get away from the d--n phone.