Author Topic: Bacon lovers beware, shortage of all pork on the way.  (Read 419 times)

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
Bacon lovers beware, shortage of all pork on the way.
« on: September 25, 2012, 07:07:41 AM »
Industry group: bacon, pork shortage ‘unavoidable’  Published September 25, 2012
FoxNews.com     
  •   istock
  Maybe the Mayans saw this coming in their end of the world prophesies. Those who pray at the temple of bacon could see their world crumbling to bacon bits this winter.
A world shortage of pork and bacon next year is “now unavoidable,” a British industry group said in a press release.

Britain's National Pig Association (NPA) says that pig herds in Europe are shrinking. As if that isn’t bad enough, this trend is “being mirrored around the world,” the group says in the release. Drought conditions, especially in the U.S. and Russia, have taken a toll on the price of the grain crops used for animal feed, and world food prices are expected to reach record highs in 2013.

The number of slaughtered pigs could as much as drop 10 percent in the second half of next year, the NPA says. This would double the price of European pork and pork products.   
The NPA is advising supermarkets to pay Britain’s pig farmers a fair price to counter the high price of feed or “risk empty spaces on their shelves next year," said NPA chairman Richard Longthorp.

In the United States, CBS Chicago reports that the price of pork belly has increased to $1.40 a pound in August, up from June’s price of 94 cents a pound.   

Read more about the looming bacon shortage in the LA Times.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/09/25/industry-group-bacon-pork-shortage-unavoidable/?test=latestnews#ixzz27VC1WV8a
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline kennyd

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Bacon lovers beware, shortage of all pork on the way.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 03:22:50 PM »
I like how they say it will "get expensive".  It has already gone into the same category as filet mignon here.  Some of it is 5 and 6 bucks, and then when you look closer you find it is 12 ozs.  Then pull back sthe strip and look at the "lean" and it is barely pink.

My wife is tired of ham steaks, I would eat one several times a week for breakfast.  The sausage is not filling anymore to me.

Beef prices are already up where I can't believe anyone actually pays a lot of it.  Maybe they don't; I find most of our meat in the markdowns on the last day.  That and buy anything that is on a loss leader sale.

Problem is other things we consider staples like corn meal, flour, oats, corn oil will and is going up like mad.

Worry not, though, the trustworthy bankers and politicians are saying the economy is improving and inflation is well under control if you leave out fuel, food, and clothing.
just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not watching you

Offline powderman

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 04:29:46 PM »
WE bought a pack of bacon about a month ago for BLT sandwiches, what a treat. We hadn't bought bacon, sausage, no beef but burger in years, it's all out of our price range anymore. POWDERMAN.  ::) ::)
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 04:50:39 PM »
i'll just have to hog hunt more  ;)
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 06:30:37 PM »
You just posted that to torture me, didnt you? I'm not much unterested in bacon, but pork chops are a real favorite?

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 08:58:25 PM »
A bacon shortage is probably a muzzy plot and they'll be dancing in the street if it comes about.
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Duke0313

• Contributor
  • I am the way, the truth, and the life. -John 14:6
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 10:51:43 PM »
More than enough hogs here in Texas to supply all the bacon you could want!
"Republic:  I like the sound of the word -- means people can live free, talk free, go or come, buy or sell, however they choose.  Some words give you a deep feeling.  Republic is one of those words that makes me tight in the throat. -John Wayne- The Alamo

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 12:48:54 AM »
Powderman:  ya'll oughta run this one past the Land_Owner and se if he agrees........

Offline KIMBER45

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 02:58:37 AM »
According to an oncologist I heard speak , bacon is the worst food you can eat . On a scale of 1 to 10; 10 being the worst - bacon is a 10. It's loaded with nitrates and frying it to a crisp releases all kinds of free radicals that do harm to your cells. I haven't has bacon in years.
"In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway."__Mother Theresa
-----------------
Not everyone will understand your journey. That"s fine. It's not their journey to make sense of. It's yours.
--------------------------------
Hawkeye: My father warned me about you...
Chingachgook, he warned me about people like you. He said "Do not try to understand them".
 "do not try to make them understand you. That is because they are a breed apart and make no sense".
-------

-------

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 04:30:17 AM »
OK, well, the extremely biased opinions of the various “beef boards, fish factions, and chicken coalition’s” have had their free reign for the last 50 years, so I think it’s finally time to hear what the actual doctors, nutritionists, University studies and medical tests have to say on the matter of bacon’s nutritional benefits to our health.
Here is a list of the Top 10 Reasons why bacon is actually healthy for you!
Pork Powered Protein: The protein found in bacon is extremely valuable to maintaining our energy levels and a fully functioning, healthy body, with a minimum of those nasty, waist, thigh and butt expanding, fat building carbohydrates.
Bacon’s Blood Balancing Bounty: Several university and medical center studies have shown that including bacon as a regular, moderate pat of one’s diet, actually naturally works to lower the bodies blood pressure and blood sugar levels, helping to prevent and / or alleviate the effects of diabetes, as well as heart disease, stroke and heart attack.
Flushing Fat With Flavorful, Friendly Flesh: While people have heard horror stories for years that bacon is full of harmful fat and after all, if you are what you eat, who wants to be a PIG? But the facts are completely the opposite, as bacon helps to fully satiate our appetite with high protein / low carb energy, helping the body lose weight, raise one’s metabolism and build leaner, stronger muscles.
Bacon actually has less total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol than many popular cuts of beef and chicken. While some fish has less fat and cholesterol than bacon, bacon has more protein power and does not contain toxins such mercury.
Bacon’s Brain Building Business: Bacon is chock full of a very important nutrient called “choline,” which helps increase our intelligence and memory, from conception to Senior Status, and has been shown in University studies to help fight off the debilitating effects of Alzheimer’s Disease and other chronic mental impairments.
Bacon Let’s You “Pig Out” On Essential Vitamins & Minerals: Bacon provides us with substantial amounts of the important, necessary vitamins and minerals our bodies need to function healthfully. From bacon, we receive: 65% of our Recommended Daily Intake of Thiamin (Vitamin B1) as well as 47% of our Niacin (Vitamin B3), 38% of our Vitamin B12, 36% of our Zinc, 24% of our Vitamin B6, 22% of our Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), 22% of our Phosphorus, 10% of our Pantothenate, 10% of our Magnesium, 9% of our Iron and the Protein to fat balance in bacon is actually 4 to 1, which is one of the highest protein to fat balances found in any meat, fish or fowl found on Earth.
Effective Mood Elevator: Bacon makes you feel happy, satisfied, blissful, which greatly reduces stress in our lives and effectively relieves the negative effects of frustration, self deprivation and sense of lack in ones existence.
Nitrates and Nitrites – Now Non-Issues: The fact is, while it is true that nitrates and nitrites are unhealthy for your body, what most pro -veggie, chicken and fish nutritionists fail to tell you is that you can easily avoid nitrates and nitrites by simply (A) not burning / charring / over cooking your bacon or by (B) Baking your bacon in the oven.
Some people also choose to avoid nitrates and nitrites by (C) cooking their bacon in the microwave, however, some medical research shows a strong correlation between micro-waved proteins (all meats and proteins, from beef to fish, from cheese to eggs and even milk) and cancers caused by protein mutation under the conditions of microwave bombardment, so we recommend using the oven, 400 degrees, 8 to 10 minutes per side.
P.S. if you always include some dairy and citrus in your bacon meal, the vitamins A, D and E work to effectively prevent conversion of “nitrates and nitrites into dangerously toxic “nitrosamines” in the stomach, rendering them harmless to the body.
Bacon Power Now Expands To Our Vehicles and Industry: Yes, believe it or not, a company in The United Kingdom, TMI Foods has already successfully found a way to use bacon fat / grease to manufacture a powerful, low emission, minimal pollution, environmentally friend, all-natural, bio-diesel fuel that can be used to effectively and inexpensively run anything from motor vehicles to turbines and from the various engines of industry to illuminating and empowering generators. That’s right … Pig Power now also means “Power To The People!”
Universally Beloved Flavor Enhancer: Because bacon tastes so amazingly awesome, we’re a LOT more willing to set many of our finicky ways aside to enthusiastically eat many of the boring, icky, lack-luster, “so called,” healthy, nutritious food items that are supposedly good for us, as long as they come wrapped in bacon or with lots of bacon bits broken up and served with or within them.
While We Heart Bacon – Bacon Heart’s Your Heart: While people over the years have mistakenly made jokes about bacon being a leading contributor to heart disease, actually there are in fact, several studies that show that the Omega-3 Fatty Acids and “choline” found in bacon can actually protect the heart from developing detrimental problems, as well as actually help HEAL such anomalies, after they have occurred!
Unlike the Omega-3 Fatty Acids supplements derived from fish sources, the one’s that come from bacon aren’t chock fully of poisonous mercury, like most of the popular fish oil versions are. So bacon Omega-3 can not only help prevent heart disease, as well as lower your cholesterol, reduce inflammation and improve circulation, but also help you to avoid mercury and other toxic poisons being regularly spewed in our planet’s oceans.

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 04:33:04 AM »
Concerning the cost of meat, try to find locally grown, buy off the hoof and have a local butcher process it. I recently bought a half a beef from a neighbor. Way above store quality. Total cost came out to 3.04 a pound. We also get our chicken that way. Still looking for pork however.
GuzziJohn

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 06:11:49 AM »
Don't buy Beef, replaced it with Moose and Caribou 40 years ago.  Their meat is far lower in colestrol also.  Pork got replaced with Spring Black Bear.  Cure the hams and shoulders like you would a hog and you can not tell the difference.  No steroids or anti-biotics in these animals.  Won't affect me while I'm here in Alaska.  but it will make the cost of breakfast go up when I am in Florida during the winter.  We eat out every weekend for breakfast.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 06:17:57 AM »
It turns out this applies to Britain, not the US. The shortage, that is.

As for bacon being a bad food, yes it is. I avoid it and have it sparingly rather like a condiment. This goes for anything that's got loads of fat and nitrates that become carcinogenic when exposed to high heat like frying to a crisp. Like ice cream or cake or anything like that, moderation does the trick.

I see bacon used everywhere today. Some restaurants are even using it as a flavoring in ice cream.

Offline KIMBER45

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 08:04:06 AM »
It turns out this applies to Britain, not the US. The shortage, that is.

As for bacon being a bad food, yes it is. I avoid it and have it sparingly rather like a condiment. This goes for anything that's got loads of fat and nitrates that become carcinogenic when exposed to high heat like frying to a crisp. Like ice cream or cake or anything like that, moderation does the trick.

I see bacon used everywhere today. Some restaurants are even using it as a flavoring in ice cream.
The farmers market near us has chocolate covered bacon. Yum.
"In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway."__Mother Theresa
-----------------
Not everyone will understand your journey. That"s fine. It's not their journey to make sense of. It's yours.
Chingachgook, he warned me about people like you. He said "Do not try to understand them".
 "do not try to make them understand you. That is because they are a breed apart and make no sense".
-------

-------

Offline KIMBER45

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 08:09:46 AM »
OK, well, the extremely biased opinions of the various “beef boards, fish factions, and chicken coalition’s” have had their free reign for the last 50 years, so I think it’s finally time to hear what the actual doctors, nutritionists, University studies and medical tests have to say on the matter of bacon’s nutritional benefits to our health.
Pork Powered Protein: The protein found in bacon is extremely valuable to maintaining our energy levels and a fully functioning, healthy body, with a minimum of those nasty, waist, thigh and butt expanding, fat building carbohydrates.
Bacon’s Blood Balancing Bounty: Several university and medical center studies have shown that including bacon as a regular, moderate pat of one’s diet, actually naturally works to lower the bodies blood pressure and blood sugar levels, helping to prevent and / or alleviate the effects of diabetes, as well as heart disease, stroke and heart attack.
Flushing Fat With Flavorful, Friendly Flesh: While people have heard horror stories for years that bacon is full of harmful fat and after all, if you are what you eat, who wants to be a PIG? But the facts are completely the opposite, as bacon helps to fully satiate our appetite with high protein / low carb energy, helping the body lose weight, raise one’s metabolism and build leaner, stronger muscles.
Bacon actually has less total fat, saturated fat and cholesterol than many popular cuts of beef and chicken. While some fish has less fat and cholesterol than bacon, bacon has more protein power and does not contain toxins such mercury.
Bacon’s Brain Building Business: Bacon is chock full of a very important nutrient called “choline,” which helps increase our intelligence and memory, from conception to Senior Status, and has been shown in University studies to help fight off the debilitating effects of Alzheimer’s Disease and other chronic mental impairments.
Bacon Let’s You “Pig Out” On Essential Vitamins & Minerals: Bacon provides us with substantial amounts of the important, necessary vitamins and minerals our bodies need to function healthfully. From bacon, we receive: 65% of our Recommended Daily Intake of Thiamin (Vitamin B1) as well as 47% of our Niacin (Vitamin B3), 38% of our Vitamin B12, 36% of our Zinc, 24% of our Vitamin B6, 22% of our Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), 22% of our Phosphorus, 10% of our Pantothenate, 10% of our Magnesium, 9% of our Iron and the Protein to fat balance in bacon is actually 4 to 1, which is one of the highest protein to fat balances found in any meat, fish or fowl found on Earth.
Effective Mood Elevator: Bacon makes you feel happy, satisfied, blissful, which greatly reduces stress in our lives and effectively relieves the negative effects of frustration, self deprivation and sense of lack in ones existence.
Nitrates and Nitrites – Now Non-Issues: The fact is, while it is true that nitrates and nitrites are unhealthy for your body, what most pro -veggie, chicken and fish nutritionists fail to tell you is that you can easily avoid nitrates and nitrites by simply (A) not burning / charring / over cooking your bacon or by (B) Baking your bacon in the oven.
Some people also choose to avoid nitrates and nitrites by (C) cooking their bacon in the microwave, however, some medical research shows a strong correlation between micro-waved proteins (all meats and proteins, from beef to fish, from cheese to eggs and even milk) and cancers caused by protein mutation under the conditions of microwave bombardment, so we recommend using the oven, 400 degrees, 8 to 10 minutes per side.
P.S. if you always include some dairy and citrus in your bacon meal, the vitamins A, D and E work to effectively prevent conversion of “nitrates and nitrites into dangerously toxic “nitrosamines” in the stomach, rendering them harmless to the body.
Bacon Power Now Expands To Our Vehicles and Industry: Yes, believe it or not, a company in The United Kingdom, TMI Foods has already successfully found a way to use bacon fat / grease to manufacture a powerful, low emission, minimal pollution, environmentally friend, all-natural, bio-diesel fuel that can be used to effectively and inexpensively run anything from motor vehicles to turbines and from the various engines of industry to illuminating and empowering generators. That’s right … Pig Power now also means “Power To The People!”
Universally Beloved Flavor Enhancer: Because bacon tastes so amazingly awesome, we’re a LOT more willing to set many of our finicky ways aside to enthusiastically eat many of the boring, icky, lack-luster, “so called,” healthy, nutritious food items that are supposedly good for us, as long as they come wrapped in bacon or with lots of bacon bits broken up and served with or within them.
While We Heart Bacon – Bacon Heart’s Your Heart: While people over the years have mistakenly made jokes about bacon being a leading contributor to heart disease, actually there are in fact, several studies that show that the Omega-3 Fatty Acids and “choline” found in bacon can actually protect the heart from developing detrimental problems, as well as actually help HEAL such anomalies, after they have occurred!
Unlike the Omega-3 Fatty Acids supplements derived from fish sources, the one’s that come from bacon aren’t chock fully of poisonous mercury, like most of the popular fish oil versions are. So bacon Omega-3 can not only help prevent heart disease, as well as lower your cholesterol, reduce inflammation and improve circulation, but also help you to avoid mercury and other toxic poisons being regularly spewed in our planet’s oceans.
Interesting. Can you give me the source of reference for the above. The info I got was from an oncologist who specializes in diets to slow down prostate cancer. He has been very successful. If anyone want to check him out his name is Dr. " Snuffy Myers."
-----------------
-------

-------

Offline Ranger99

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »
jealous of mr. sourdough here :(

had my place for quite a few years
now, and haven't seen any moose
or caribou yet.
maybe because of the drought.

maybe this year. bow season starts saturday ;D
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline KIMBER45

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 01:56:16 PM »
I found the article. You left out the following-http://bacontoday.com/bacon-shop/.
The site actually sells bacon products- but of course they wouldn't be biased in their opinion. ::)
-----------------
-------

-------

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 02:17:50 PM »
It is just that I really really like bacon so I always look for anything to minimize my guilt.  ;D
GuzziJohn

Offline KIMBER45

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 02:47:51 PM »
It is just that I really really like bacon so I always look for anything to minimize my guilt.  ;D
GuzziJohn
Try some of their products and let us know what you think. ;)
-----------------
-------

-------