Author Topic: anyone else ever have a deer vanish?  (Read 862 times)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
anyone else ever have a deer vanish?
« on: September 27, 2012, 12:56:13 AM »
I was out crop damage shooting last night and had 4 deer come in at 423 yards (rangefinder). I shot the biggest doe and it went down. 2 took off in the woods and a third came running right at me. I shot it at 200 yards and it to dropped. I was using a 7stw with 150 bts. I got down out of the elevated stand i was hunting in and went out to the one at 423 and gutted it. Came back to where i remembered the closer one was and no deer. It was a section of the field that had allready been harvested so it should have been easy to see. Deer in grean potatoe plants can dissapear in like majic. We combed that field for over 3 hours and no deer no blood nothing! It was like it vanished.The shot felt good and I  know i heard the bullet hit and i know it went down but no deer. Im going back this morning to look some more.
blue lives matter

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
Re: anyone else ever have a deer vanish?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 02:23:25 AM »
Bigfoot was hungry..... :D

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 02:55:57 AM »
I had one vanish when I was muzzleloader hunting but I found it 3 weeks later.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 01:44:01 PM »
 I would say it's still out there in the feild.  I shot a antelope a couple years ago at about 400 yards and it to dropped on the spot. It took 3 of us a long time to find it and all there was on the ground was sparse wispy brown grass.   I would go back to the stand, relive the shot and start over looking, but you have probably already done that and not found it.  Maybe a dog would help ?   :(
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline flintlock

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 03:11:08 PM »
I had 4 disapper this summer...

Yep, freezer is empty, gonna need to get
started filling it up again... :)

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 11:29:08 PM »
found out what happened. It was on a slight rise in the field when i shot it and dissapeard when it went belly up. the second deer came from that area and when i butchered this deer I found it had been hit twice so obviously it went down where i couldnt see it and jumped back up and ran right toward me and I shot it a second time. Sure made me feel good. We shoot between 40 and a 100 deer a year and pride ourselves on not loosing many. We usually will lose one or maybe two a year because the fields are surrounded by a buffer of chest high grass and after that its mostly swamp and tracking can be a bitch and the fields are trampled with deer tracks.. This year we were running a perfect record and i wasnt to happy about loosing this one.
blue lives matter