Author Topic: Trigger Work  (Read 985 times)

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Trigger Work
« on: February 09, 2004, 12:43:32 PM »
I'm getting ready to do some work on the trigger of one of my rifles, I was wondering if the trigger group is interchangeable from rifle to rifle? It would be nice to work on one trigger group, and switch it to other rifles. Does this sound nutty, or am I making sense here.
Don

Offline skoutfitter

Trigger Work
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 01:48:34 PM »
Just did two trigger jobs one on an ultra in .270 and the other on a survivor in .308.  Everything was the same in each of these rifles and from the parts list I printed out today from Brownells there does not appear to be any differences one to another.  I do not know if this will help or if you have done a trigger job on one of these before but I was kind of lost on what to use for a slave pin.  Anyways I found that an allen wrechn cut down to the right length workes perfectly.  Have fun and take your time.   :-)
Never forget the Creator who makes it all possible  <><

Offline 044

Trigger Work
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 02:10:09 PM »
Big blue,if you don`t have any 3/16 round stock,in a pinch you can use a 10-32 screw cut to about .800 length.File or sand the ends smooth and you can use this as a dummy pin.I just did my 243 trigger but insted of stoning by hand I did it on a surface grinder .After surface grinding the sear I put it under a scope and finished it with a ruby stone.This is the best trigger job I have done so far.It took me about 4 times to get it to 3 1/2 lbs but it is crisp and clean just what I was hoping for. :lol:  :lol:

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Trigger Work
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 02:21:17 PM »
Guys, I can't thank you enough. The experience you guys already have is invaluable to me at this time. I'd have to learn the tricks you have already worked out. If you think of any other pointers, please post them. Thanks again.
Don

Offline raynor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Trigger Work
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 02:35:49 PM »
For a dummy pin you can use about anything from a stick of wood to a piece of aluminum tent stake, doesn't really matter. There is no pressure on that dummy pin, it just holds everything together while your re-installing the trigger assembly. ~~ SV

Offline perklo

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Trigger Work
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 03:27:24 PM »
Other than drifting those onerous splined pins over and over again, there is some consideration to doing this...

The tolerances and variances are as great in the center-to-center locations of the pin holes from gun-to-gun as are the variances between the hinge pin to standing breechface from gun to gun. That is why they insist on fitting the spare barrels at the factory.

We are only talking a possible few thousandths here. However, if you remove material from Hammer/sear by honing to a 2.5 - 3.5 lb. pull in one gun, drop out the parts and install them into a second Handi/Pardner, problems can arise. If the center-to-center distance between hammer/trigger (sear) pin holes on the second frame is a few thousanths greater, this COULD result in a dangerous lack of contact between the hammer and sear.

If you do this, follow these tests for positive trigger engagement after assembling in the new frame. Cock hammer and try (not too hard, just good thumb pressure) to push the hammer forward. If it does not fall, pad the frame side and whack it fairly good from the side with a rubber mallet. If it still holds cock, slam the recoil pad or buttplate fairly hard on a padded or carpeted floor.

If all that doesn't cause unwanted hammer fall, then check your pull weight and for correct transfer bar/firing pin function and safety.

And, as it is part of this trigger group, check for the barrel catch function, it could be off some.

The pin-to-pin variance could fall on the closer side, making the trigger heavier in that frame.

A lot of work. If it were me, I'd do three or four trigger jobs and be done with it.

IMHO, of course! - perklo   :-)

Offline 10ga.

• Avid Poster
Trigger Work
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 03:54:15 PM »
Perklo...
Glad to see you made it here,
I always did enjoy reading your posts on Yahoo and on the old site :grin:
Paul Corbett
NEF 10ga SB2-MAB 
Handi-Rifle 30-06 Synthetic
H&R 12ga SB2-980 Ultra Slug
S&W .357 Model 586
"Peace Through Superior Firepower"

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Trigger Work
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2004, 04:16:30 PM »
Perklo,
  Thanks for the info. I just went back to the old site and searched for your website . I downloaded and printed up the instructions you had there. I had remembered reading it before, but never copied it then. I'm glad the old site is still up to gather that info. Should I post the link? Didn't want to do it without asking you first.
Don

Offline perklo

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
Trigger Work
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004, 05:01:19 PM »
Hey, 10 ga.!   :D

Big blue,

I'm fine with posting link; if it is allowed here:

http://www.perkloafm.com

I'm afraid it is getting hit or miss getting the files to download, as I'm nearly out of space on my web domain. I have a new feature or two to post, but I'm looking into double the size from 100 to 200 megs.

I already spend about $500.00 a year keeping the site up, it will probably be $750.00 if I double the size.

Hobbies!    :roll:   - perklo

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Trigger Work
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 05:12:32 PM »
Perklo,
  Download worked just fine, thanks.
Don