Author Topic: recoil of 20 guage usg  (Read 778 times)

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
recoil of 20 guage usg
« on: September 30, 2012, 02:29:54 AM »
my gun when I purchased the barrel was said to shoot the federal power shok 7/8 oz sabots good and it was the truth. that said it is 7/8 ounces or 382 grains. Looking at the speedy sabot loads they are in the 260 range. in your opinions is the lighter loads a significant drop in recoil that you have notices? I would assume there is a bit more muzzle jump. Was thinking of trying some and wanted opinions. even in a 20 that federal load still has some shoulder pop. thanks

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: recoil of 20 guage usg
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 03:02:39 AM »
My 20 USH shoots the Federal red tip slugs and I always wondered if they where under powdered just because the recoil was so light...  Last year I lent it to a friend visiting for the huntin g season and he shot three deer with that gun, only one walked after the shot anbd he did not do it well or go far. ;)

Give a box a try, if they shot well, I can tell ya they will kill well!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 03:28:11 PM »
cw i think the red tips were discontinued. I looked at there sight and i see the hollow points and the grey soft point but no red tip. H&R web site says they recommend the rem copper solids and the green tipped slugs. I wonder how they fly has anyone tried them. This slug gun stuff isnt cheap.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 11:45:24 PM »
My 12g LOVES the Remington copper and accu tip slugs... my 20g DISPISES them!  :o ::)

Light field shot pretty good, but I decided on the Federals... Discontinued huh... :-\  That figures as the 12g Loved buck hammers. Good thing I bought a doz boxes last time they where on sale!!!  ::) ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 12:04:09 AM »
Ill tell you i would love to try the lighter slug as the 7/8 oz federal power shok I am using has some pop in the shoulder are. They shoot great but would be intreted in the difference. But at 15 a box of 5 that is an expensive way to find out. I wounder if I should stick with trying federals as maybee the sabot they use is what makes them shoot good no mater what the projectile is. The new sp model is 5/8 oz and is 1600 ft second. the power shok is 7/8 at 1500. that is an extra 100 grains so the 5/8 has to be a bit softer

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 02:36:57 AM »
anyone know of a way of calculating recoil for the shotgun slugs

Offline Whiterabbitttttt

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 02:32:35 AM »
should calculate the same as rifles. What's the difference?

I fitted a limbsaver to my handi stock and now shooting even 3" slugs feels like any old deer rifle.

Offline LilHog

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 12:44:04 PM »
I use limbsavers on all my handi's, shotgun or rifle. Makes a big difference in the comfort level.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 11:26:35 AM »
well i went to the range today and tested my federal 7/8 power shok vs a box of 285 grain rem green tip sabots. recoil  was not any different. but the rem first two were touching at 100 yards then the 3rd one misfire hit it two more times and no bang. Loaded the next two no problem went off. Plenty of striker movement and a deep dent in the primer. Loaded 5 federals and no problems. First ever time in 2 years this happened. It is a large striker. This is conserning even with the accuracy. It has plenty of stryker travel. Has anyone experienced this problem with the rem primers are they harder that federals. I called remington and they said there have been no complaints but they didnt want the lot # or anything. I said well at $3.25 a round this was an costly try and a wasted shell. she said well try some more and if you have the problem again let us know :o . I think i am done with remington and there expensive slugs and maybee even there firearms. 

Offline Whiterabbitttttt

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 02:44:39 PM »
I've got the issue on a savage, but my handi only had issues with the NON shotgun rounds not firing. So I changed the pin protrusion from .070 to .045 and made the problem far worse. Bring the pin back to .05 or .55 and it's much better.

Your frame might have SB1 syndrome too. But I dunno. Mine shot all 209 primers no matter what pin protrusion, no problem. So maybe it WAS an rem round thing.

Just buy another $20 box to find out! haha :(. I'm sorry they recommended that course of action to you.

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 03:07:12 PM »
I am 99% positive it wasnt the pin. The strike was deep and the other 4 had no issue nor did the 30 some federal power shoks. I understand that quality control couldnt always catch a bad product like a primer all the time but at the outragous price we are paying for these sabots (3.25 a piece) and they are probobly making 2 bucks on each one you would think they would be making sure there were no issues. I actually red a post where a guy had two of these same slugs and they were put in the hull upside down. I might just stick with my muzzeloader during shotgun season. buy 100 240 hor xtp and some sabots a lot cheaper than these slugs anyway. I would have thought I would have been atleast offered a free box if it was my company that is what would have happened not buy another box and let us know if it happens again. where is the keep the customer happy as they pay the bills. quess that is out the door with remington when you are making the money they are who cares if you loose a customer or two.   

Offline Whiterabbitttttt

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 12:47:27 AM »
If I could guarantee I could use a muzzleloader in any shotgun zone here, I would sell my 20g USH. Tomorrow.

I need to call my DNR now.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 06:13:31 AM »
DH,
 It soulds like a missfire, plain nd simple... Not a good thing I agree, but as youy fired so many before and a number afterwards, I wouldn't get too worried about it. I know mentally its a hang up, It would be for me as well...

Have you tried buck hammers? I know they are discoed but saw a post just the other day where they where avalible..  They did nto shoot well in my 20 USH but do GREAT in my 12 and I know many here love them in 20;s...

CW

NRA LIFE Member