Author Topic: Where can I find a .35 Remington???  (Read 1300 times)

Offline swamp hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Where can I find a .35 Remington???
« on: September 30, 2012, 01:14:00 PM »
Hey guys, first of all I'd like to say this site is amazing.  It's probably the greatest knowledge base on handi rifles I've ever seen. Now for my question, for Christmas this year, I'd like to buy my grandfather a handi rifle chambered in .35 Remington because these are legal in MS primitive weapons seasons.  However, after looking around, I can't find where H & R even manufactures new handi rifles in this caliber. 

So, I got to thinking, I have a 2 year old handi rifle chambered in .35 Whelen.  If I could somehow get a barrel chambered in .35 Remington that would fit my rifle, I would just swap them out and give him my rifle then find another frame for my Whelen barrel later. 

Do you guys know of anywhere that I could either purchase a new/used .35 Remington handi rifle or where I could get just a .35 Remington barrel to fit my receiver?  Thanks for any help.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Where can I find a .35 Remington???
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 01:53:42 PM »
WELCOME SWAMPHUNTER!!

The 35 Rem was offered a couple yeras back and most went to the southern states because of this primitive season.
I havent seen one sell on the classifieds in some time. BUT one could post tomorrow who knows. When I built my 356 I wanted to convert a 35 rem cause I could ream it by hand. It took some good people here some time to locate one for me.

Good luck with the search!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 02:00:25 PM »
Last one I saw was about a year ago in a gunshop in SE Missouri. I will stick your name on the bulletin board and if I run across one I will steer you to it. The other choices are to ream a 357 to 35 Rem, or a 357 Maxi. Good luck with it.
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline bucmeister

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 03:21:23 PM »
swamp hunter,

Are you on any of the forum boards here in MS.  We discuss the "primitive season" and weapons quite a bit and you will hear about 35 Rem Handi Rifles for sale here there and yonder.  I'll keep my ears open.

http://www.mississippioutdoorforums.com

http://msdeer.net

http://www.bullnettlenews.com

http://www.msgunowners.com

Offline swamp hunter

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 03:25:37 PM »
swamp hunter,

Are you on any of the forum boards here in MS.  We discuss the "primitive season" and weapons quite a bit and you will hear about 35 Rem Handi Rifles for sale here there and yonder.  I'll keep my ears open.

http://www.mississippioutdoorforums.com

http://msdeer.net

http://www.bullnettlenews.com

http://www.msgunowners.com

I'm on The Bull almost daily but haven't seen any listed for sale lately.

Offline bucmeister

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 03:33:50 PM »
Do you happen to use the same "swamp hunter" screen name there?

I never have really paid much attention to the classified sections on the forums but sometimes someone in a thread will mention having spotted a particular gun in question in various gun or pawn shops.  Might be a spot for a lead.

Offline swamp hunter

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 04:46:59 PM »
Do you happen to use the same "swamp hunter" screen name there?

I never have really paid much attention to the classified sections on the forums but sometimes someone in a thread will mention having spotted a particular gun in question in various gun or pawn shops.  Might be a spot for a lead.

Yep same name over there too.

Offline Cemo

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 03:44:03 AM »
If you can't find your .35 Remy a viable option would be one in a .44 Mag. They are great for 100 yards or maybe just a little more.
Vietnam Vet, VFW Life Member, NRA Life Member
Retired and enjoying life.

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 03:51:53 AM »
  I understand the .35 Whelen is also legal for that season...  Why not just "load down" some .35 Whelen to .35 Rem specs for Gramps?
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline MS Mule

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 11:06:42 AM »

Swamphunter,

If you can get to a gunshow somewhere in MS you should be able to find one. I saw a couple at a Jackson, MS gunshow last month and also saw one last weekend at a Natchez, MS gunshow. Van's Sporting goods and Deer Processing in Brandon, MS will be able to get you one when nobody else can.

Scratch Van's. I called out of curiousity and was told they would not get anymore till next year. I'd try the gunshows. go to www.mississippigunshows.com to find out if one will be close enough to you.

Offline Ten Ring

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 11:15:20 AM »
Recently Van's had 4 in stock.
Jim
223,22-250,280,270,357m,2-35 whelen,2-444 marlin,3-45/70,45LC,45/70BC.,500SW,35rem,300aac,44mag

Offline bucmeister

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 01:11:43 PM »
Real shame someone can't talk to the folks at H&R and convince them to do a Handi in 356/358 with the chamber cut to the bare minimum SAAMI dimensions.  That would allow for either round to be shot the guys here do and by cutting to the bare minimum it should keep brass work hardening to a minimum extending the life of the rare 356 brass. 

Seems like that would be the happy middle ground in the 35 caliber arena.  Just day dreaming out loud about what I would do if I could.

Offline bm330

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 01:29:03 PM »
i am also for Mississippi,  i purchased a 35 whelen for the primitive weapon season.  i got to shoot it some last weekend and I'm very happy with the results. 

Offline hpdrifter

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2012, 05:29:01 PM »
Real shame someone can't talk to the folks at H&R and convince them to do a Handi in 356/358 with the chamber cut to the bare minimum SAAMI dimensions.  That would allow for either round to be shot the guys here do and by cutting to the bare minimum it should keep brass work hardening to a minimum extending the life of the rare 356 brass. 

Seems like that would be the happy middle ground in the 35 caliber arena.  Just day dreaming out loud about what I would do if I could.

Unfortunately, they's a big corporation.  It seems all corporations have bought into the Toyota way and JIT; just in time inventory.  I think it's a communist plot ::)  to lower the productivity of the USof A.  They'll make them on their timetable, the customer doesn't matter.  They'll put it out when they are ready and you'll purchase it when they have it made.  That way they'll have no excess production and you'll pay a premium, an artificial suplly and demand, if you will.

I've decided against the 356.  I'll purchase a stock barrel and send it off to a small business and give them an opportunity to make a living.  I'll have a 375 winchester made.