Author Topic: your valued opinions please.  (Read 791 times)

Offline fox fire

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
your valued opinions please.
« on: October 01, 2012, 04:13:53 PM »
Look'n at a scope for a .243, will be used to hunt deer, coyote & beer cans, terrain veries from hardwoods to wide open fields of a few hundered acres, my concernes/wants are low light capability,clearity, durability & customer service if needed.
Choices are:
Redfield revalution 3x9x42
Weaver fixed power 6x38
burris fullfield II 3x9x40

Your thoughts please.
I've never been lost,,,just rite fearsome confused for a few months.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: your valued opinions please.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 05:44:25 PM »
My opinion is you need to widen your choices. I personally cannot and will not recommend either of those. I'd suggest you think about a Leupold 3-9. I'd take it either as a Rifleman, VX-1 or VX-2 either over any of those you list.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline wmdron

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 12:03:29 AM »
How much do you want to spend ? It might be better for you to go up with the magnification a bit if your eyes have any age on them like mine. IMO you cannot beat Leupold for customer service on their optics.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 02:04:37 AM »
My opinion is you need to widen your choices. I personally cannot and will not recommend either of those. I'd suggest you think about a Leupold 3-9. I'd take it either as a Rifleman, VX-1 or VX-2 either over any of those you list.

Good advise.....
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 11:29:44 PM »
out of the brands your listing id rate them
weaver
buris
redfield
I like my leupolds as much as anyone but wont buy the rifleman or even the vx1s anymore. I just detest the friction ajustments and in those two models you can get better optics for the money. Step up to a vx2 and then youve bought a scope.
blue lives matter

Offline fox fire

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 03:16:32 PM »
Sounds like leupold has soem fans, never had one but mite have to breal down & try one to see for myself, classifieds here I come.

Thanks gents.
I've never been lost,,,just rite fearsome confused for a few months.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 03:24:36 PM »
I have several of the Burris Fullfields II's, good quality for the price and no issues with performance.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 03:30:16 PM »
Watch the classifieds.  You can pick up a used Leupold at a great savings sometimes.  They have a lifetime unconditional warranty.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline wmdron

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 12:07:25 AM »
Just a word of caution when buying used, I'm sure you wouldn't have any problem with the classifieds on this site.Leupold is probably the only scope I would consider buying from an unknown source because of their great warranty,  if you go to auction sites, be a bit careful as there are counterfeit Leupolds out there. I read an article that basically said that Leupold was the most counterfeited scope. I personally have never encountered a fake and I'm not trying to sour you on buying used, I've done it a lot myself.

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 03:50:49 PM »
I have several of the Burris Fullfields II's, good quality for the price and no issues with performance.

+1

Of the ones you listed, the Burris Fullfields II would be my choice.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline bcraig

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 12:06:28 AM »
I agree with Bill on his choices and would also include the 2-7x Leupolds as well.
I have had quite a few and wouldn,t hesitate to use the Leupolds with friction adjustments .
Once you get them set there is really no issue with them at all.
Craig

Offline Huffmanite

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 11:18:08 AM »
Google: Weaver 40/44 aspherical rifle scope for sale.  Hopefully, you'll find a place that sells a 3.8-12x44 for around $140 when other place(s) sells it for around $200 or more.  Lower power asphericals on this site are selling for a reduced price too.   Optics in the aspherical Weaver 40/44s are pretty good.  You should be well satisfied with its clarity and brightness.  In short, its a decent scope that's made in Philippines.  About aspherical lens.  Memory serves me right, first scope with this lens system (originally used on 35mm SLR cameras) were the Simmons Aetec scopes.  The original AETECS had a pretty good reputation, but Simmons quality slipped, manufacture of them went to China and etc.   Anyway,  rumor has it these aspherical 40/44 made in same plant of original AETECS.  By the way, I've owned one for a few years now and quite happy with mine.
Google Nitrex TR1 rifle scope for sale.  Should find only one place with them and its not Ebay.  On this site use its search box and type in Nitrex TR1.  You'll find what is left of the Nitrex by Weaver inventory to sell.  Should be some 3-9s and other low power models.  The Nitrex TR1 is basically a Weaver Grand Slam scope, made in same Japanese plant with same internals.  Excellent buy on these scopes, being $140 or less in price.  Optics in Nitrex scopes are quite good.   Yea, its a discontinued line of scopes, but it was owned by same company that owns Weaver, who will handle its lifetime warranty.  Have a couple of Nitrex brand scopes, wish I'd bought more of the power range ones I use..