Author Topic: BUG- Back Up Gun  (Read 8364 times)

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: BUG- Back Up Gun
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2012, 08:44:59 AM »
I knew a kid in high school that could "sorta" do that. I'm not sure if it would be that hard. Wish I had a black board. Now I'll wonder about it, till I finally forget about it. Thanks Shootall
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2012, 08:46:20 AM »
you welcome !  ;D
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline painted horse

• Avid Poster
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2012, 08:55:49 AM »
O.K. so I catch a little "flack" for my first response, deservedly so perhaps. But my point of view comes from where I live and the "threats" that I would deem plausible. However, I do occasionally enter large metropolitan areas and did live amid the "bustle" for many years. A threat could come no matter where you live and breathe however, even out here in the boondocks where I now reside. There are "lowlifes" everywhere.. just my thoughts on carrying more than one gun. I'm not about to play "last man standing" ANYWHERE, if I were accosted by one or more  UNARMED threats, I'm leaving as quick as I'm able. If I'm accosted by one or more ARMED threats, I'm leaving faster.  If you come under "attack" by two or more armed assailants, and if they have any clue at all, you will be flanked and killed no matter how many guns you have in your pocket unless you are either extremely good or extremely lucky. If I were caught up in a riot, (won't happen) I'm not pulling a gun and letting everyone know I'm armed unless I absolutely had to in order for me to continue getting my a$$ outta there..I know there are unforseen circumstances that could render this all worthless, but for me one carry gun is all I figure I need to occupy someones (antagonist) attention long enough for me (if possible) to make my exit...if the/they attacker/s are to close for me to exit, they're to close to worry about reaching for another gun if my primary fails/runs dry. Just the way I see it..pack as many as you like or think you need...personally I don't like the fact that I feel the need to carry at all...

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2012, 10:30:48 AM »
There was a professor at Randoph Macon college that could write two words on the black board at the same time , he might pull it off  ;D  . They say he worked on the nuke bomb back in WW2 .

my dad  talked of a man he knew in  med school

said he would look at you and carry on a conversation...with one eye

the other  eye oscilating back and forth as he read a book

he wasn't showing  off...just something he natureally did

i use one hand and one eye at a time
both  eyes with a red-dot....but never ''mastered'' the both eyes with open sights
the other hand  is to stabilize the shooting  hand....not  hold the BUG

if you were to waste the time learning to use a gun in each  hand
what happens when you need your flashlight or to open a door

just for the record
i have never been in a gun fight
but  i was charged by a opossum once
and  am a well qualified armchair expert

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline FPH

« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2012, 10:34:43 AM »
I spend my time practicing drawing,reloading mags, or using a speed loader.  If I need a second gun, I guess I'm out of luck.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2012, 11:38:55 AM »
Thinking about what Dee said and What was Shootalls senerio of a riot.
Retaining a gun trying to get away from a riot may be hard and having a second gun in your hand may work out better.
As someon reaches for the gun or gets a hand on it while moving through a crowd or better decription of being pushed through a crowd the second gun could be used just to check them.  Grab gun 1 or 2 and the other is used to shoot.  Again a civilain and a police office have two different goals in a riot.  The Police officer is trying to restore order and a civilian is trying to excape.  Getting clear of the problem a second gun can be tucked back away into a pocket( not the holster as that takes time you may not want ot spend) and then the primary if neither gun had a discharge you can leave.
Dee if you were in a fight for your primary would you stop them if you thought you were going to loose the retention of your duty gun with the BUG?  At that point you would have a hand on each gun.  Concentration would only be on the targeting of the one.
A friend of mine was a Deputy Sheriff in LA and killed a guy while fighting with two to retain his Duty gun and stomped the one he knocked to the ground in the neck crushing his windpipe and then subduing the second guy while his rookie partner, who grew up with the two looked on.
During the protests in Occupy Oakland this past year I saw how fast a mob could apear and how fast it could go from a march to chaos and I can see Shootall's point of getting caught in it.  The police came into our branch and told us the Mob was 10 minutes down the road and they were going to go right by our branch and close out street. 
The next morning on the video tape you see the police leave our branch and 6 minutes later our last employee left and locked the gate and 30 seconds after the mob walked by.  10 minutes later they started throwing rocks.

Offline Dee

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2012, 12:41:05 PM »
I think the bottom line on this discussion is mindset. I know what I will do, as I have done it, and it works (more than once or twice). Everyone else is the same. They will do what they think is the right thing for them. It either will be the right thing to do, or it won't. They will either profit from their theory, or pay for it. If it works, we can discuss it. If it fails, we can read about in the news, and discard the idea. As Bill Jordan said in his book. There's no second place winner in such a fight.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2012, 01:19:02 AM »
mcwooduck , you can have a hand on each gun if you have one in each pocket or one out one in. The reality is while in the main roit unless you repsent why the roit is happening ie being white while the LA roit was happening or such your main goal is not being pushed to the ground. Also not being noticed as different. It would be bad form to be the guy holding guns in plain view if cops were viewing . It's after you get away from the center of trouble that you may find yourself cornered or in the middle of a gang or such wanting to hurt you.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2012, 11:19:12 PM »
there lies the problem dee. Not many will ever have a real world experince. You can dream up senerios all day long but all your doing is dreaming. tons of experts out there that have never been in a situation other then in there dreams. Funny thing is most dont have the sense to listen to someone like you thats been there and done that. theyd rather live in there dream world. If i were alot of you guys id quit taking advice from some of the so called experts you deal with. Guys like the gun shop owners and your buddys who have seen not a lick of actualy combat or have never been even in a self defense shootout and listen to dee. Ive known him here for years and have yet to see him post something that wasnt fact.
I think the bottom line on this discussion is mindset. I know what I will do, as I have done it, and it works (more than once or twice). Everyone else is the same. They will do what they think is the right thing for them. It either will be the right thing to do, or it won't. They will either profit from their theory, or pay for it. If it works, we can discuss it. If it fails, we can read about in the news, and discard the idea. As Bill Jordan said in his book. There's no second place winner in such a fight.
blue lives matter

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2012, 02:14:00 AM »
I would suggest going over senerios is not always dreaming but a tool to train ones self . When attacked is not the time to 1 decide you do want to defend yourself , 2 decide what you will do , 3 decide if you can harm another human to defend yourself  4 learn the skills you need to defend yourself just to name a few .
The offering of opinion about having two guns in ones hands has no right or wrong ansewer just opinion it would be up to each person as to what they might encounter in their life or location. I live in a small city , you can drive thru. in in 10 min. It happens to be in the middle in the east coast . 3 interstates cross , several other US routes meet and cross Rt 1 , Rt 301 etc, several rail lines cross , there is a deep water port , international airport and only 100 miles from the coast . Read DRUGS get distributed from here . It is a dangerous place and things happen fast at times. Mention was made that others had been in other cities I have also and no our problen is not more or less than what I have seen in other places it's what I live with day to day. It's like pain , I feel mine more than your's . I have to nurse mine you have to nurse yours with what ever works , sometimes we will do the same things other times we will differ.
I would ask is it dreaming to look around as you enter a new place and ask yourseld what would I do if say a guy started shooting people ? or if a fire started ? If trouble comes from that direction or maybe from the other way ? These senerios get people to look for exits (escape routs) , at people around them and create a plan . In the unlikely event something does happen and maybe they are helping a small child or older person they already have a plan and can react while helping not looking around deciding ( learning) what to do.

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2012, 10:29:57 AM »
My back up gun would be a CZ70 or CZ50 in an ankle holster.  If you were going into the bad guys land how many more guns would you carry knowing a gun battle is infront of you?
OT; But a needed thing to realize. I taught my kids when entering a mall or resturant or just shopping beaware of all the exits the second you step into the building or store.  You must know were all the exits are it could save your life if the lights go out.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #71 on: October 17, 2012, 10:37:11 AM »
If I knew for a fact a battle was going to happen I doubt I would go . If I go where it could happen depending on time of year and location ( read gun laws) it would be a j frame and Glock 20 or 23 or both. If the truck would be near then an 870 law permitting would be in truck.

Offline Dee

« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2012, 05:10:00 PM »
I for 20 years, "ran to", or "drove very fast to" a lot of fights. It was my job, and I couldn't back down. Guns of all types, knives, machetes, ball bats, ice picks, and even rocks. Each a little different, but the outcome was the most important thing of all.
My strategy was to win every fight, at all costs. And I did. Sometimes with help, and sometimes without. But my only technique was to never falter on what I had drilled into my skills, and my mind. My approach to winning strategically might change, but my weapon craft I never messed with, or changed.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2012, 03:30:58 AM »
That is the difference in being a police officer and not . There are places where I can't carry a shotgun and others where I can't carry a weapon. As such I must decide to go or not , what weapon is legal or not and to be legal or not.

Offline keith44

« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2012, 11:05:26 PM »
That is the difference in being a police officer and not . There are places where I can't carry a shotgun and others where I can't carry a weapon. As such I must decide to go or not , what weapon is legal or not and to be legal or not.

+1

Dee, I have a question regarding attitudes I am seeing regarding Law Enforcement Officers.  If you don't mind answering a few questions off line, pm me.  If you'd prefer not to discuss such things, I understand.  Thanks

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline EastKY_DO

« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2012, 10:07:08 AM »
I don't care what firearm you carry they all have the potential to fail you for a wide variety of reasons. Mechanical failure or loss of weapon in a scuffle sure is a possibility one shouldn't ignore. Lose that primary and you'll either be glad you have a backup or quite possibly finding your last thought being you wished you did have one. I carry a spare mag  for my primary firearm, a backup firearm and a quality knife. My primary fails me I don't wish to be standing there with my only defense being a poor excuse for a rock! I carry the knife because it will do things a gun can't.  I carry all for the same reason I carry the primary to begin with.....better to have and not need than to need and not have! Isn't that the bare basic reason we all carry in the first place?

So Painted, why do you need to carry at all? Do you feel the need for a particular caliber? A paticular gun? Doesn't your area have a Sheriff's Office or Police Department? Do you think you owe anyone an explanation for you choices? I pretty much doubt it. So why insinuate other's owe you one?

+1, only I also carry a spare mag for the BUG.

The Boy Scout motto is a good one. Be prepared.

Doc

NRA Benefactor

Offline Gray Paw

« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2012, 04:19:15 PM »
So now we have "civilians" who need back up guns? ??? ?? How bout' a BUG for yer BUG, or maybe a Josey Wales setup. Two shoulder holsters two on the hip, you could still do a couple ankle jobs, maybe a mini on the belt buckle, knife or two in the boot, (most probably wear low quarters though, maybe "tennis shoes" for quicker response time) one between the shoulder blades, hey, wear a trench coat then you could hang a shotgun from the shoulder, that'd be cool, (think I saw that in a movie) sometimes I just sit in awe....

Sounds like me last week.  I was looking at some overalls from Duluth Trading Co, and they had 17 pockets, including a few hidden ones.  I was trying to figure out how many mini revolvers I could carry in those pants. 

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2012, 01:46:26 AM »
Guess one should walk in another mans boots thru. the hell he works / lives in before saying if a BUG is needed or not.

Offline keith44

« Reply #78 on: November 29, 2012, 08:34:38 PM »
I find the extra gun a comfort, but as for need well that has yet to be determined.
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2012, 01:49:44 AM »
comfort is a need  ;)

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #80 on: November 30, 2012, 04:23:05 AM »
I find the extra gun a comfort, but as for need well that has yet to be determined.
I have a spare tire in my car.  It too is a comfort not really a need.  And i check it every now and then to make sure it still has air.

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #81 on: November 30, 2012, 04:34:19 PM »
Play with words all you want. Bottom line for me is this........You show me a handgun that can't be dropped, can't be snatched nor wrestled from you, will never ever malfunction under any condition.......then I might concede there's no need for a back-up. Untill then I'd rather be safe than sorry. Isn't the whole purpose of  carrying a gun in the first place is to have one when and if you need it?  ;)

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2012, 04:10:17 AM »
i travel with a  back up gun
but not every day

i don't carry 2....just have the other available
the primary may get taken  after  a shooting
leaving me un-armed --out of down--and  people very mad at me
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #83 on: December 01, 2012, 12:27:42 PM »
i travel with a  back up gun
but not every day

i don't carry 2....just have the other available
the primary may get taken  after  a shooting
leaving me un-armed --out of down--and  people very mad at me

Good point and quite feasable!

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2012, 01:23:02 AM »
Alot of folks have a BUG but may call it something else . As example , many carry a gun on their person and realize when driving it is nice to have a seperate gun with easy access. If attacked while in your car it makes sense to have a gun right at hand. Also if you must exit a vehicle under less than ideal conditions you might not be able to grab your truck gun and still having one on you would most often be welcome. So it's not always a reload or failure that can make a second or third gun nessary. Sometimes having two or more allows one to move about armed but descreet . Maybe you have passangers you don't want knowing you are armed then the hidden truck gun dosen't need to be shown when exiting the vehicle so you can have it on you . You already have one tucked away.
 There are so many reasons why extra guns are useful I for one don't understand the reluctance of a gun owner/freedon loving American to it. Well maybe - if they can't afford a second gun or are unwilling to get one they may wish to con others into theit narrow minded ways of thinking  ;)

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2012, 10:14:41 AM »
I see guys shooting with a gun in each hand all the time!

Cowboy Action Shooting! 8)

(sum of em r purdy danged good at it too)
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2012, 10:19:29 AM »
oh geeze that's taboo here don't ya know ?

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2012, 03:07:12 PM »
oh geeze that's taboo here don't ya know ?
Skill stes are skill sets adn who cares if he practices with a single action or a double action.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2012, 07:44:33 AM »
I don't know about you but in combat shooting pratice I don't thumb cock  ;)  hey my 340 PD has a non exposed hammer couldn't thumb cock it if I wanted . BTW it is made with out a transfeer bar also they say. No hammer exposed to get hit no need really makes a nice trigger pull .

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2012, 11:09:42 AM »
I don't know about you but in combat shooting pratice I don't thumb cock  ;)  hey my 340 PD has a non exposed hammer couldn't thumb cock it if I wanted . BTW it is made with out a transfeer bar also they say. No hammer exposed to get hit no need really makes a nice trigger pull .

you think thats nice
pick up a ruger LCR