Author Topic: Favorite Handgun?  (Read 7617 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Favorite Handgun?
« on: October 02, 2012, 04:16:15 PM »
I've a lot of  favorites but if I had to pick just one it would be my 1860 Colt Old Army. As far as feel and ballance I've never held another handgun that could match it. When held it feels like an extention of hand and arm. To me that's how a handgun should feel! :)

Owned this for 37 years and of all my many guns it's still the one I'd never dream of parting with. When I do though it will go to my son. I bought it when he was born. :)  I did the artwork on the box.

Offline FPH

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Favorite Handgun?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 04:30:03 PM »
Model 27 w/ 5" barrel.

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 10:31:25 PM »
I know what you mean about the 1860 army being just about perfect as far as ballance and pointing goes.  I have never found anything better either.  I however have two other guns that I really like and think are just about perfect.  One it the Colt 45 1911 pistol and the other is the CZ 75.  For me they point and shoot very well.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 03:44:39 AM »
Favorite gun...depends on the day.  I like the old platforms like 1911s and HPs of which I have several.  Ruger BH/SBH also...SW29 as well. Walther PPKs, or, or....Ruger SP9 my new love....I hate these threads....
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 04:34:04 AM »
My Remington R1 1911
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 05:43:31 AM »
New Model Flattop .44Spl.

Offline Casull

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 10:22:28 AM »
It would have to be the one I've spent the most time with.  S & W model 29 w/ 8 3/8" barrel.  A 6" barrel would probably be more handy, but I bought it for hunting and silhouette shooting almost 30 years ago (my first big bore handgun).
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 08:09:55 PM »
favorite handgun?? hmm...all of mine  ;)

Seriously though, it depends on the task.  Small game hunting?  My Ruger single six.  For larger than a rabbit or raccoon?  Either my Ruger Old Model .41 Magnum or my Ruger Super RedHawk .44 Magnum.

For carry?? Either my .38 or my .380 Bersa, backed by my NAA Mini Magnum.

Just cause I want a gun in the truck or on the tractor with me? My old Norinco Single stack single action 9mm

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 08:06:25 AM »
Like Keith said all of mine depending on the situation.  For target shooting I love my Ruger MKII.  My Ruger Single Six is a blast to plink or hunt small game with.  My Kel-Tec P11 is my daily carry piece.  My S&W M&P .40 if I have to work in a rough area at night.  I think you get the picture...  ;D
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Savage

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 09:39:46 AM »
I have too many favorites to list.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline DDZ

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 09:59:14 AM »
I'd have to say my .41 mag Redhawk, or my Colt 1911, or my Ruger single six, or my .44 super redhawk, or....   
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline carlsflh

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 10:24:53 AM »
thats a tuff one it would come down to eather my ruger goverment target or my tc contender

Offline kynardsj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (54)
  • Sweet Home Alabama
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 01:00:26 PM »
I have at this time four favorite handguns. All of them are Ruger revolvers. Single Six, Redhawk, Vaquero and a Super Blackhawk. My most favorite is whichever one I'm shooting at the time for each of their intended uses.
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die the world cries and you rejoice.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 01:13:04 PM »
My Dan Wesson 357, 4".

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline dead dog

• Just waiting for the hammer to fall!
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 02:05:05 PM »
 For deer hunting my TC super 14 in 7-30 waters but for varmint shooting my competitor with a  23" barrel in .223.
As far as personal protection for carry my Glock 32 (357 sig) and bug gun is a AMT 380 back-up in a wallet holster. :D

Offline t-reg

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 04:10:40 PM »
Buckmark.

I am blessed to also have a SR40c and a Flattop .44 Special at my disposal but that Buckmark is the most fun of the three.

Kinda like choosing a favorite kid tho.

Offline dead dog

• Just waiting for the hammer to fall!
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 04:32:10 PM »
Oh man I forgot amout my Buckmark! Its a fun one to. I've got the Buckmark rifle to go with it also.

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 10:17:31 PM »
the one I carry most is my 657 mt gun and I really like it. But the one I seem to be most proficient with even with little practice, is my 4 inch stainless Security Six w Hogue rubber grips - I've taken a fair number of small game with it.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 11:24:13 PM »
Favorite ??? HUMMMMM ! The first read was a misunderstanding of the actual question. Not a bad thing for one can hardly explain anything with one sentence-----well, the notible exception to that would be my wife, the Hen---at least in her own mind---
I digress.
Favorite according to a woman chaser or person in desperate circumstances would be-----the one you were with at the time.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 05:12:45 PM »
SIG Sauer P-239, with a +1 mag base plate. It feels right in my hand, it points naturally, has enough heft to handle the .40 S&W it is chambered for, and is small enough to carry in most situations. I could be talked into other handguns, but if I am honest with myself the P-239 is just about ideal, for my needs.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline gary/mt

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2012, 11:00:20 AM »
For my nightstand handgun, a Springfield XD-45.
For concealed carry, pistol is Sig P239 in 9mm and revolver is a Ruger SP101 in .357 Mag.
For single shot handgun, my TC Contender in whatever caliber that is appropriate for what I am hunting.
For hunting with other than a single-shot, my Browning Buckmark in .22 LR for a pistol, and for a revolver it has to be my Freedom Arms model 83 in .454 Casull.
For plinking and target shooting, my Dan Wesson model 15-2 in .357 mag w/6 in. bbl. 
If I had to pick only one handgun, it would be a draw between my Ruger old model Blackhawk in .357 mag w/4 5/8 in bbl, or my new model Blackhawk Stainless in .45 LC w/4 5/8 in. bbl.
Each is my favorite when I am shooting or using it; tough question to answer.
Gary

Pass on our hunting,shooting, and outdoor recreation heritage to the youngsters; for they are the future!

Offline bluecow

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2012, 02:21:27 AM »
some years ago i had to get rid of most all my guns.  i hung on to my m94 32wsl, 16g h&r pre topper, and the single six.  i find it hard to replace guns like the s&w 1917 that i got for $200 at $ 950-1200.  still i would keep the single six all over again
Everything before BUT is B.S.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2012, 04:34:06 AM »
Only way I can assume a favorite, IAMA I've owned way, way more handguns than rifles and shotguns combined in my life, is by which I've owned the longest I guess.   That would be my very first, the 1949 High Standard HD Military.   It was my grandpa's, the one he taught me how to shoot handguns with in the early mid 50's and gave to me when I proved I could handle it soon after.   Getting close to six decades now and it still lives with me... because it was his, because it was my first, because it still performs just as good as it did the first time I shot it.   Kind of hard to improve on that.   Holster is a mid 50's made by Idaho Leather Company.   Had a nice conversation with Ben Wetzel (third generation owner) a while back.   The old Eubanks/Pioneer leather company is still kicking, and Ben will still make this model the old school way.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2012, 04:57:11 AM »
Ladobe....thats what I'm talkin' about! ;D   Like it.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Ladobe

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2012, 06:22:57 AM »
Thanks Ben, its a keeper.

Really started something with this thread, I could post dozens of pictures.   ;D

How about a close second and third for now...

Herters 401 Power Mag and Barnes/Sako 1 of 32.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline clum sum

• Contributor
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2012, 06:42:03 AM »
Colt Woodsman Match Target and I hope this thred does not become like the one Compact 9 mm's.
A man's hand shake is his bond.
                     Joe R. Risley Jr.

Offline painted horse

• Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2012, 06:56:59 AM »
Ruger Bisley Blackhawk 45 colt............

Offline Ladobe

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 08:08:17 AM »
Colt Woodsman Match Target and I hope this thred does not become like the one Compact 9 mm's.

That thread has turned into a gripe and whine session... why would this one?   The more the better here IMO.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 08:09:22 AM »
I could not name just one!!

Defensive use:

5 years ago it would have been my Commander 45

Today its my G23 hands down

Woods carry gun:

10 years ago it was a Auto-mag II

Then it became  my S&W 651 22Mag. (Sorry no pic of that one)

Today its my G20

If I ever get a PMR30 I may need to revisit this... ::)

Hunting gun:

Its gotta be my Ruger Bisley 45 Colt

BUT, as I shoot it more and more that same Glock 20 is quite a shooter..

Then deep consealment, backup or jsut to have something... Its hard to beat what I affectionatly call my "pocket rockets" NAA 22LR/Mag revolvers.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 09:00:57 AM »
Clum sum, why should it unless someone needlessly starts trashing someone elses choice? My purpose of this thread was not in any way what the best handgun is. I simply wondered if you could only keep one, or simply had an all time favorite such as I do, what might that be? I find the variety both interesting and refreshing. :)

My Old Army is my all time favorite but;
For daily carry my PF-9 does all I want and need it to

For carrying in the woods my J.P. Sauer .357 mag sure does the trick