Author Topic: Vertical stringing...  (Read 916 times)

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Vertical stringing...
« on: February 09, 2004, 04:09:23 PM »
Is this what the o-ring trick is supposed to cure?  I remember reading how to do the o-ring, but can't remember the specifics of it.  Might go search the old site while it's still up.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline whitedogone

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Vertical stringing...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 04:19:04 PM »
HH, my .223 will do that if I shoot it to fast.  I guess it's the barrel heating up.  I seem to remember guys saying that the way you hold thegun and squezze her off can do it to.
Beretta S686 Sporting 12g 30"
Beretta Silver Pigeon Sporting 20g 28"
Ithaca (SKB) Model 500 Skeet 28g 28"
Browning BPS Syn. 12g 3.5" 26"
Browning BPS rifled w/ Pentax 2x5x20
Tikka M595 in .223 w/ Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40
Savage 93 in 17HMR w/ Mueller APV 4.5-14
Winchester 94 mint Built in 1951
Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" 44 Mag

http://www.illinoiscarry.com/

Offline skoutfitter

• Trade Count: (0)
Vertical stringing...
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 04:21:42 PM »
I am a newby to these handis but applying what I know about stock to barrel cotact with bolt action rifles it could be whats causing the stringing.  I opted not to install the 3/8 o ring on my handis and removed the stock material with a dremel.  I am not aware of others who posted about the floating of the barrel doing it for stringing problems but were just tightening up their groups.  If you are handloading you may want to check your loads for uniformity, cronograph may be in order, and you may also want to make sure you are consistant in securing the rifle to your shoulder and where you rest the rifle.  Many causes for vertical stringing and sometimes its the process of elimination to figure it out.  You certianly can not go wrong with floating the barrel.     :-)
Never forget the Creator who makes it all possible  <><

Offline Haywire Haywood

• Trade Count: (2)
Vertical stringing...
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 10:50:13 PM »
Thanks, I think I'll O-ring it and if it helps, then I'll alter the forend.

Ian
Kids that Hunt, Fish and Trap
Dont Steal, Deal, and Murder

usually...

Offline Tcallbuilder

• Avid Poster
Vertical stringing...
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 12:26:35 AM »
H.H
my 06 handi wil vertical string groups after about 3 shots when the barrel gets hot the poi starts to climb.
i added a o-ring between the barrel and foreend,but havent really tested it yet.
you might want to go back to the old har talk and do a search in the arcives.......i have read several post there about vertical stringing.
which would lead me to believe that these barrels are a bit heat sensitive.
grinding or sanding down your foreend might help with pressure point problems........but what works great on that barrel......might not be so good for another (if you have or plan on getting more barrels for that reciver) IMHO id try the o-ring first.....there cheap and easy to install and remove.

be safe
TCB

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Vertical stringing...
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 02:38:18 AM »
Tcallbulder,
  I had just done a search of the old site for vertical stringing . The problems that I found posted were, dirty barrel w/copper fouling, scope problems, scope mount screws too long and bottoming out, using the barrel on a different frame not originally matched to it, and barrel heat buildup. Hope this helps.
Don

Offline Wlscott

• A Real Regular
Vertical stringing...
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 03:22:19 AM »
HH, I seem to recall some of the older posts on the old site talked about how you rest the gun on your bags.  These guns seem to do best when rested as close to the hinge or pivot point as you can get it.  Also, being hinged guns they are very sensative to how you hold them, how you pull the trigger (gotta pull it all the way through its travel), and even how much pressure you put on the stock with your cheek.  

Will these factors cause you to miss that buck of a lifetime?  Probably not, but if you're working on load development and testing for accuracy, you might want to try these things in order to level the playing field.

Hope this helps.
You haven't hunted......Until you've hunted the hunters

Offline nipprdog

• Avid Poster
Vertical stringing...
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 02:25:41 PM »
Quote from: Tcallbuilder
H.H
my 06 handi wil vertical string groups after about 3 shots when the barrel gets hot the poi starts to climb.

be safe
TCB

TCB, my 30-06 and 223 handis POI will drop after barrel heating.

is it normal for different barrels to drop or rise?

Offline nipprdog

• Avid Poster
Vertical stringing...
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 05:54:23 AM »
BTT

Offline Tcallbuilder

• Avid Poster
Vertical stringing...
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 12:44:10 PM »
nipprdog;
im not sure if different barrels/ammo will react differently to heat build-up
except that different barrels may disenpate heat faster than others.due to having different metal alloy make-up.

mine always climbs after it gets hot.
i thought it was due to heat expansion...making less resistance on the bullet. thats just kind of a theory though.....i dont have a chrony to measure mv and compare hot to cold barrel
windage holds its own.......and poi will return after the barrel cools.

TCB