Author Topic: The debate  (Read 2047 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
The debate
« on: October 03, 2012, 04:41:31 PM »
  Jim Lehrer was a "fair & balanced" moderator...     Romney did appear more in command, more leader like, if you will.   Still, we will have to wait to see what the public thinks about it..of course, but in the meantime, both sides will claim victory..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Chainsaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: The debate
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 05:00:39 PM »
I thought that Obama was hit with so many rights he was almost begging for a left. The Solyndra remark really got under his hide. The problem Obama never had before this time is that now he finally has a record he has to defend. Before as a legislator he never really voted all that much. It was a smart move on his part voting present, but now with a definitive record to run on he looked uncomfortable during much of the debate.

Me thinks Romney did way better than I thought he would. That the view from here in the frozen tundra.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 05:04:51 PM »
  He was playing rope-a-dope during much of the debate..

...  Just in; 

DEM says... "Romney did well, but no game changer"..   
  A Rep nearby said; "If this was a game, they would have called it before the second half"..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline rickt300

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 05:49:11 PM »
I'd say Romney made Obama uncomfortable and look like a liar. Obama did not appear all that smart either.
I have been identified as Anti-Federalist, I prefer Advocate for Anarchy.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 05:53:08 PM »
I await with bated breath to see how the "unbiased" liberal media reports it.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Savage_99

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 06:21:49 PM »
Romney dispelled the notion that he is cold and not human.

Romney was as sharp and bright as a man could be.

Romney  outclassed obama.

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 07:24:49 PM »
I didnt watch so its a mark in the win column for me! I look at those two jokers and think to myself that if they are the best this nation has to offer then we are seriously screwed.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 08:56:51 PM »
Just checked my hotmail account and MSNBC headlined : Pundits say Romney won - or something close to that.  I listened to part of the debate on our local public radio and the commentators there were saying Romney did well, that Obama spent a lot of time looking at his notes, not engaging the audience or Romney and maybe really needs that teleprompter.  I can say this for sure Romney didn't do bad or bomb and that was really critical at this point in the campaign.  I'm eager to see Ryan vs Biden - there could be a lot of sparks there, and with Biden's knack for saying the wrong thing, it could be a hoot.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Minnesota1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 09:25:39 PM »
Obama got schooled.  Romney mad clear cut separations between the two.  For those who claim they are the same need to watch the debate and pull their heads out.  Romney was substantive, in command of the stage, and had a clear understanding and depth of the issues.  Obama looked relegated to talking points that are stale and old.  It was refreshing that Romney came out swinging and I believe achieved a huge win in that it is going to be hard for the media to call him wooden and cold as he was none of that and showed who he really is.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 12:09:16 AM »
Win.  Lose.  Heck, we're ALL losers regardless.  This financial mess happened on OUR watch and for the most part we had turned a blind eye to it while it was happening.  That $16 Trillion in Federal Debt now belongs to We The People and it cuts across ALL red, white, and blue America.  I did not do this.  You did not do this.  However, we find ourselves staring over that cliff.  It is SHAMEFUL that our elected Legislators, Judges, and Administrators have walked us down the rosy path and now, at the brink of total financial meltdown, only then do We The People focus to see the "Wizards" for what (not who) they are.

Daily, as you and I toil away at our respective jobs, earning enough (hopefully) to put food on our tables, keep a dry roof over our families, paying our taxes, and maybe, just maybe save a tiny amount for bad times (about a paycheck or two away from insolvency for most), our local, state, and federal government's continue to dig deeper and deeper into our pockets by spending money that collectively We the People do not have, issuing IOU's to the Social Security Trust Fund (money that you and I had taken from us, put there specifically for us, belonging to working folks, that is now GONE), buying back bad debt made by Private Institutions "too big to fail", and (federally) PRINTING MONEY.

If the road we're on isn't changed, we're ALL losers.  If the meltdown occurs, We the People will have to fend for ourselves, like the Grapes of Wrath, on the most gut wrenching of survival instincts and we've seen how that turned out following Katrina.

Debate Score
Obama 0
Romney 1

...and don't forget, ObamaCare is a TAX, regardless of how the Dem's swore and claimed otherwise.

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 01:22:56 AM »
Romney came across better than I would have ever thought he could. That said he always had this kind of strange pose and facial expression whenever he finished whatever he was saying. I was kind of waiting for a halo to pop out over his head. Still surprised that that in one way or the other Romney is still going to support pretty much all the current federal programs including the federal department of education. In many ways there was not that much difference between the two.
GuzziJohn

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 01:28:06 AM »
   I expected Romney to take Obama to economics school...but I was mildly surprised with how he also took him to law school.
 Mitt also landed the quips too..." You can have your own car, youcan have your own house..but you can't have your own FACTS!"

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 01:47:09 AM »
I liked Romney's line about the economy tax. Now there's something Obama can't refute. Gas, food , electricity and more have all skyrocketed under his leadership ( or lack there of ). If that isn't a weight on the middle and lower class I don't know what is.I also thought it was interesting that Romney said they had a meeting every Monday morning when he was governor of Mass., a face-to-face as opposed to Obama's phone-it-in style. Bottom line- one guy is a talker and the other is a doer. Obama is lost without his teleprompter.

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 01:56:39 AM »
I liked the way Romney pointed out, that his health care program in Ma. was designed for a state. As soon as the Fed.govt. puts its hands on something, you can double the cost, and cut output by half. Also, he mentioned how the feds ignored the 10 Amd. Something Obama should be forced to do everyday, until he gets it right. Read the Constitutuion and Bill of Rights. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 02:17:16 AM »
I didn't waste time watching it. There is no question in my mind about who I'm voting for.

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 02:57:41 AM »
I had something far more rewarding on my schedule, than watching the debates.

~ she loves me!
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 03:05:09 AM »
After the debate i thought about it this way . Our country will be forced to cut back . There are two ways to cut back . One is keep going until we fail and cease to exist as a country. The second is cut back in advance and reduce as much of the risk as possible  as soon as possible. Or to put it another way we can free fall or have a controled fall.
So which one would I want repsenting me at the bargining table when the cuts need to be made ? The guy with the stern face who knows the ansewers before the questions are voiced or the one with a S--- eating grin everytime a failed plan he tried was mentioned .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 03:05:27 AM »
  I suppose the Veep debate will even things out ...when the wizard, Joe Biden ..teaches Paul Ryan about economics... :D :D ;D ;D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 03:07:23 AM »
  I suppose the Veep debate will even things out ...when the wizard, Joe Biden ..takes Paul Ryan to the cleaners... :D :D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::)
nuttin like going up aginst a brain trust like that one ! ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 04:08:27 AM »
Obama did great.  The media pundits, as expected were all for Romney.  Did you notice that?  I know why that is.  That is why I like Obama even more!  Go Obama!   ;D
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 04:16:44 AM »
Did somebody really say Obama's day job is getting to him?  Hahahaha  Now THATS funny! I don't care who you are. Biden debating Ryan reminds me of the old saw about bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 04:18:24 AM »
or wresling in the mud with a pig ................

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2012, 04:31:23 AM »
Didn't Ryan tell lies in his first speech almost every time?  That is how he needs to be remembered.  Did you know what Gen. MacArthur said about FDR?  He said FDR would never tell the truth if a lie would suffice.  In high school, the students called Ryan 'Biggest Brown-noser'.  So what we have is someone who lies and brown noses who could be President.  How can anyone vote for such a candidate?   :P
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline magooch

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 04:49:16 AM »
My impression was that Obama at times couldn't call up any Dumycrat talking points to refute what Romney said.  Romney had answers for Obama and I'd have been very disappointed if he hadn't.  But Land_Owner is right that neither one of them wanted to acknowledge just how far in the toilet we are.  I'm sure that Romney knows, but he is smart enough to know that if he ventured into that swamp, it was full of quicksand and he wasn't about to give Obama something too hammer him with.

I don't think for a minute that neither candidate understands what the national debt entails.  What is hard to swallow is that they are both more, or less agreeing that things like education, health care, defense and entitlements are going to be mostly exempt from enormous change.  The one thing that Romney said that does give hope is that he would weigh every federal program to see if it deserves barrowing money to keep it alive.

Obama seemed to be operating from a script that has nothing to do with reality when he defended Obamacare, education and other federal programs.  He had a totally fancyful view of how Obamacare and other programs would actually work.  He wants to barrow money to hire a hundred thousand teachers?  That was a feeble attempt to mimic Buba Clinton's hundred thousand cops debacle. 

I'm surprised that the media seems to be giving Romney the nod as winner of the debate, but then I don't watch, or listen to the commie networks.

Swingem

Offline Minnesota1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 04:56:11 AM »
Overall, the debate was deadly dull with both candidates displaying extensive rehearsal at reciting BS minutiae of tax & health-care policy and neither being particularly relevant or convincing.  Of course, Romney came across as openly pure 100% Wall St.  Ken-doll bot to push even more brutal austerity and war agenda..  and propamedia puffing up Romney for a win. At least the Demos fake caring about the People and environment.  Romney's tax plans lack logic as well, obviously benefiting elite once again.. In any case and as usual the media wants this election another 'close' one.
...TM7

Surely you jest.  What do you think any debate is?  When has anyone viewed a debate that was off the cuff?  With regards to Romney your stereotype liberal taking points are just that.  Where do Romney's tax plan lack logic?  Cutting rates and closing loopholes.  Sounds more like a flat type tax, but one where people and business can make it easier to understand and plan what they owe instead of dreading it and running away from it.  I do agree that the media does want it to be close as it benefits them and viewership which equates to better ad buys and more money for them.

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 05:02:35 AM »

I'm surprised that the media seems to be giving Romney the nod as winner of the debate, but then I don't watch, or listen to the commie networks.

Me either, except to see for myself how it was and how the media spins it.  And like you say, they are all singing for Romney.  That by itself should convince everyone that Romney is not the right man period.  That by itself speaks volumes.  Who the media likes, don't like.   8)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 05:22:13 AM »
Obama did great.  The media pundits, as expected were all for Romney.  Did you notice that?  I know why that is.  That is why I like Obama even more!  Go Obama!   ;D
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yeah..Go Obama ;) ...And there are hundreds right here on GBO, who would be happy to tell him just where he can go.. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2012, 05:29:40 AM »
I liked Romney's line about the economy tax. Now there's something Obama can't refute. Gas, food , electricity and more have all skyrocketed under his leadership ( or lack there of ). If that isn't a weight on the middle and lower class I don't know what is.I also thought it was interesting that Romney said they had a meeting every Monday morning when he was governor of Mass., a face-to-face as opposed to Obama's phone-it-in style. Bottom line- one guy is a talker and the other is a doer. Obama is lost without his teleprompter.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

When the "big oil" guy, Bush ..was in the oval office, a gallon of gas cost us $1.82.....  Now that we have the "big Soros" puppet in the oval office, ....where I live it is $4.09.   Have you been to the grocery store during the last 4 years?  The prices look like an elevator...that never reaches the top floor!
   Now if  the dems get their way..milk will cost $6.00 a gallon..even beating out, at the pump..Obamaline.. err..gasoline.   http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/Milk-Could-Cost-6-Per-Gallon-172371691.html

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2012, 05:32:40 AM »
I had something far more rewarding on my schedule, than watching the debates.

~ she loves me!

You are entering uncharted water, Sir.

Overall, the debate was deadly dull with both candidates displaying extensive rehearsal at reciting BS minutiae of tax & health-care policy and neither being particularly relevant or convincing.  Of course, Romney came across as openly pure 100% Wall St.  Ken-doll bot to push even more brutal austerity and war agenda..  and propamedia puffing up Romney for a win. At least the Demos fake caring about the People and environment.  Romney's tax plans lack logic as well, obviously benefiting elite once again...
Surely you Jest [+1 Minnesota1].  Were you watching the same debate as the rest of us?  Romney is a BUSINESSMAN with an AGENDA to stop the FISCALLY INSANE madness in Washington, DC while the Dems and Mr. Obama are in the pursuit of, as you say, "fake caring about the People and environment."   

Mr. President commented multiple times about Romney not producing enough details for the Dems to pick apart.  Why don't the Dems run on their own details?  The Dems have nothing on which to run that isn't FAILED politics.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 05:43:54 AM »
I didn't waste time watching it. There is no question in my mind about who I'm voting for.

:o   That is exactly what I told my wife!!!  I spent the debate time reading GBO!   ;D

I could hear Kathie clapping for Romney every once in a while though...  She really gets into this stuff.   ::)

I did see that Obama got 4 more minutes speaking time then Romney...   :(   That may not seem like much of a difference, but believe me it is! 
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club