Author Topic: Deep Throat Question  (Read 665 times)

Offline skoutfitter

• Trade Count: (0)
Deep Throat Question
« on: February 09, 2004, 04:33:08 PM »
I understand by reading some of the threads that many of these handis have deep throats.  Is this something unique to certain calibers or do they vary significantly from rifle to rifle regardless of caliber.  Having said that I you have one with a deep throat do you just deal with it and work the loads up accordingly or is it something NEF will exchange?
Never forget the Creator who makes it all possible  <><

Offline Duce

• Avid Poster
Deep Throat Question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 04:57:59 PM »
Skoutfitter: I think that deep throats run throughout the line. What I think you'll find is that, this is more in rifle made after 2000. I own 2 that are 2000 or earlier, both have standard chambers and throats. Year of manufacture is part of serial no. prefix, this is listed in FAQ's. <>< :D Duce:
What ever you'll put up with, is exactly what you'll get!!!!!

Offline JPH45

Deep Throat Question
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 05:23:24 PM »
The 30-30 and 45-70 seem to have throats that are within the common dimensions found in other manufacturers guns. There seems to be some speculation the the long throat is a "pressure relief valve" of sorts, most likely a hoped fix to sticky chambers. By changing the pressure curve the desire is that the brass will not be subjectd to such a short, heavy pressure that may be causing some cases to stick. A poor solution for an ejector that needs a redesign. H&R/NEF is probably the only company in the world that uses a spring driven shotshell ejector on a case operating at least 4 times above shotshell pressures.
Boycott Natchez Shooters Supplies, Inc

Offline skoutfitter

Deep Throat Question
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 09:59:31 AM »
I understand now just seems kind of foolish maybe a little penny wise and dollar foolish on H&R's part.  I usually work my loads up from 5 to 10ths off lands and work back to the sweet spot.  Ill work these loads up differently.  Hope I can still get the grouping I like.  Thanks :)
Never forget the Creator who makes it all possible  <><

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
Deep Throat Question
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 10:54:49 AM »
skoutfitter,
  I had always loaded my aamo to just shy of the rifling, but that's not possible with some of these guns, the bullets will fall out of the brass before you can reach out to the rifling. Try loading to the manual recommended COL's and see how they work. The long throats don't seem to bother the accuracy.
Don

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Deep Throat Question
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 07:25:38 PM »
I just read an interesting article on this topic in Rifle Shooter magazine.  It was in the question and answer section.  The reader asked why his AR didn't handle mil surp ammo like it should.  

The writer stated that many commercial 223 chambers were too SHORT THROATED to handle the mil surp ammo and that caused an over pressure problem in many of the rifles.  He said the mil spec chambers are longer to allow a pressure relief in the chamber but keep the higher velocities afforded ffrom the hot loaded millitary stuff.

Little different take on our little problem.  Maybe NEF isn't that far off the norm.  Just making allowances for the occasional use of Mil stuff maybe?
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
milspec ammo
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 08:07:16 PM »
Handirifle:

I really don't think that's the case.There are just too many different non-military caliber rifles out therethat have the same problem to be just that. I almost want to say it was a really crappy way they had their barrels done by whoever was doing the chambering.With their specs being as long as what they told me when I called...it's no wonder there is a problem.

Well  my handi's long throat issue will soon be resolved,and I will put it to the test to see just how well it can do. Went to pick up my dies this past weekend and they didn't come in.Have to wait till Saturday now. :cry:

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...