Author Topic: Romney and NPR  (Read 1364 times)

Offline two-blocked

• Trade Count: (0)
Romney and NPR
« on: October 06, 2012, 08:18:33 AM »

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Romney and NPR
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 08:35:35 AM »
 :D :D :D :D :D
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 03:38:40 AM »
 It's sad but ironic.  The joke is about moving Bigbird to a safehouse. Too bad they didn't do it for Ambassador Stevens. We all know the results. It appears that Stevens was begging for more security from the Obama administration and in hindsight, he was actually begging for his life. Hindsight seems to be one of the cornerstones of Obama's platform. I think we will see a lot of the Bigbird image in political ads from the Dems in the next 30 odd days as opposed to information about the death of Ambassador Stevens.

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 08:33:38 AM »
If you like Big Bird and PBS I guess you could donate money to PBS and if you like NPR you could donate money to NPR instead of expecting the government to force other people at gunpoint to donate to those organizations.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline two-blocked

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 08:44:13 AM »
Where are you that the government points a gun at you?  Prison? Afghanistan?
I do send them money and most importantly VOTE for people that support them. It's the American way!

Car Guys for President!  ;)

Offline two-blocked

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 08:55:16 AM »
 ;D :o 8) ??? :P :-* ;) :)

Offline lakota

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 08:58:44 AM »
Well this is pointless. Arguing with a You-owe-me-crat is trying to clap with one hand.

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2012, 08:59:44 AM »
Like I said in an earlier post, we will see a lot more reference to Big Bird than substance in the next 30 days by Obama supporters.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2012, 09:24:07 AM »
There may well have been a time when Public Broadcasting was necessary. The programming is fine and dandy, so good that it has in fact been commercially viable on cable for many years witness Discovery Channel (s), TLC channel (s), Nat Geo Channel (s), people can't get enough of the stuff.

At this point in time there is better use for this countries tax dollars. To say cable is unattainable is simply wrong.  Television entertainment is not a fundamental human "right", so let's not trot that BS out.
If in the future commercial television stations cannot sustain themselves perhaps we can look to publicly funded television. again
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline lakota

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 11:03:08 AM »
Here we go with this "Obama killed Osama" crap. Obama didnt kill Osama...Period! If Obama and Osama were ever to meet in face to face combat I would pick Osama to narrowly win the epic slap fight that would break out.

Offline Bear Rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 01:38:46 PM »
Here we go with this "Obama killed Osama" crap. Obama didnt kill Osama...Period! If Obama and Osama were ever to meet in face to face combat I would pick Osama to narrowly win the epic slap fight that would break out.

Are you joking? The most hazardous thing that bonzo has ever done was to keep his Chicago crime bosses happy when he was one of their bag men. Osama would have taken him out in a heartbeat.
Flintlock! Anything else is imitation.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 01:41:31 PM »
I'd like to see Liberal Public Radio shut down.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Bear Rider

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 01:50:22 PM »
I'd like to see Liberal Public Radio shut down.

Agreed. It's just a charity for leftist wannabe journalists so inept that even the predominately liberal lamestream media can't stomach them.

Offline two-blocked

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 02:22:11 PM »
Some of you should listen to NPR. It may broaden your horizons and possibly help you comprehend NPR's financing.   ;)

In 2010, NPR revenues totaled $180 million, with the bulk of revenues coming from programming fees, grants from foundations or business entities, contributions and sponsorships.[18] According to the 2009 financial statement, about 50% of NPR revenues come from the fees it charges member stations for programming and distribution charges.[18] Typically, NPR member stations receive funds through on-air pledge drives, corporate underwriting, state and local governments, educational institutions, and the federally funded Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB). In 2009, member stations derived 6% of their revenue from federal, state and local government funding, 10% of their revenue from CPB grants, and 14% of their revenue from universities.[18][24] While NPR does not receive any direct federal funding, it does receive a small number of competitive grants from CPB and federal agencies like the Department of Education and the Department of Commerce. This funding amounts to approximately 2% of NPR’s overall revenues.[18]
During the 1970s and early 1980s, the majority of NPR funding came from the federal government. Steps were taken during the 1980s to completely wean NPR from government support, but the 1983 funding crisis forced the network to make immediate changes. Now more money to fund the NPR network is raised from listeners, charitable foundations and corporations instead.[citation needed] According to CPB, in 2009 11.3% of the aggregate revenues of all public radio broadcasting stations were funded from federal sources, principally through CPB.[25]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Public_Radio

Sounds like a great deal to me, and way cheaper with better returns than oil company subsidies!

Offline Bear Rider

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 02:48:54 PM »
Sounds like a great deal to me, and way cheaper with better returns than oil company subsidies!

Only if you could find some way to covert their left wing BS into bio-fuel.

I used to listen to NPR in the SFO area. It was great comic relief. What a pack of losers!

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 03:18:26 PM »
I do watch PBS, I have never listened to NPR.  I like to watch NOVA.  It is a very interesting program.  We also watch some of the specials.  Here where we live we do not have cable availiable.  We do not have dish network availiable also due to neighbors trees.  So we get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, and 4 PBS stations, that are put our over the air.  So I do like PBS, but I agree that they should be able to support themselves without support from the government.

I also feel like Herman Caine/or was it Ron Paul, who said all foreign aid should be stopped and the countries that really need it should have to apply and prove they really need it.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline lakota

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 05:13:37 PM »

Are you joking? The most hazardous thing that bonzo has ever done was to keep his Chicago crime bosses happy when he was one of their bag men. Osama would have taken him out in a heartbeat.
No I am not joking friend! ;)

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2012, 07:02:55 PM »
Some of you should listen to NPR. It may broaden your horizons and possibly help you comprehend NPR's financing.   ;)

In 2010, NPR revenues totaled $180 million, with the bulk of revenues coming from programming fees, grants from foundations or business entities, contributions and sponsorships.[18] According to the 2009 financial statement, about 50% of NPR revenues come from the fees it charges member stations for programming and distribution charges.[18] Typically, NPR member stations receive funds through on-air pledge drives, corporate underwriting, state and local governments, educational institutions, and the federally funded Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB). In 2009, member stations derived 6% of their revenue from federal, state and local government funding, 10% of their revenue from CPB grants, and 14% of their revenue from universities.[18][24] While NPR does not receive any direct federal funding, it does receive a small number of competitive grants from CPB and federal agencies like the Department of Education and the Department of Commerce. This funding amounts to approximately 2% of NPR’s overall revenues.[18]
During the 1970s and early 1980s, the majority of NPR funding came from the federal government. Steps were taken during the 1980s to completely wean NPR from government support, but the 1983 funding crisis forced the network to make immediate changes. Now more money to fund the NPR network is raised from listeners, charitable foundations and corporations instead.[citation needed] According to CPB, in 2009 11.3% of the aggregate revenues of all public radio broadcasting stations were funded from federal sources, principally through CPB.[25]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Public_Radio

Sounds to me like it shouldn't be a problem to wean them off the government teat if we're that close. Should be quite liberating, let's set them free.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2012, 02:27:30 AM »
under another term by hussein obama, NPR will get much more than this.
http://www.arts.gov/about/Budget/AppropriationsHistory.html
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline jhm

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2012, 05:09:58 AM »
     A mere drop in the bucket.  ( and how do you MT the bucket?  1 drop at a time! )  Jim

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2012, 05:16:29 AM »
     A mere drop in the bucket.  ( and how do you MT the bucket?  1 drop at a time! )  Jim
the liberals want to take my bucket.  but you're right and I wish some would realize it.
we could put this country back on the right track if we worked together.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2012, 05:17:53 AM »
Mitt did say if we have to borrow from China to pay for the program, then we need to see if we really NEED that progaram. 

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2012, 05:26:31 AM »
Mitt did say if we have to borrow from China to pay for the program, then we need to see if we really NEED that progaram.
that's as it should be.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline magooch

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2012, 06:18:45 AM »
If all the libs would send a check to NPR and OPB, those outfits would be awash in cash and the federal treasury could be freed from their clutches.
Swingem

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2012, 07:31:35 AM »
Quit filling the bucket with all the  big hoses first.....shut those hoses off first.  If  you got a big leak in the basement....do you go and change a washer in the kitchen first..?
..TM7
You fix it too. If you have the available manpower you do it at the same time. Why you might even fix the washer while you are waiting for the parts to get the valve repaired on the hose. There is no reason to have a work crew sitting around on their asses waiting to do things in some presupposed order.

Absolutely no good reason to ignore small problem as you wait for solutions to larger problems.   

Offline lakota

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 08:20:12 AM »
This is futile. It is another one of those "I like it so you should have to pay for it" arguments. PBS and NPR are entitled to a share of your money and thats that!

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2012, 04:47:05 PM »
My crews didn't sit around...and always prepared to fix the big jobs first the: ones that were or could get out of hand and emergencies...not get distracted by the little stuff which is fixable later...its called prioritizing.
.TM7
Took every single man you hired to prep?
Am I supposed to believe this outfit is that lean? Am I to assume we just as well shovel cash down every hole we find until the big hole is repaired? You act as though all this stuff is plumbed together. I can turn off the water to my tub and still run water into the dishwasher, how about you?

I'm willing to kill this animal with a thousand cuts, we don't need to find an artery. By God it might be amusing watching the dang thing suffer. I know I take pleasure in removing ticks with a match.

Do you have some sort of financial interest in seeing Big Bird prosper? Is this just another opportunity to denigrate our government? Easier to sit on the bleachers and complain that the team sucks, than to get in the game? Brakes having failed, do you kareen down the mountain complaining the parking brakes are so weak it is not worth the effort to apply? Better to die with out taking the chance or even making the effort?

Tell you what Eyeore have a nice day Okay?

Offline jhm

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2012, 05:46:27 AM »
     Sometimes it is just a waste of time to wrestle in the mud with a pig, the pig has its own agenda and like when BUSH was in office some still try to have their own agenda spouted.   Jim

Offline lakota

« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2012, 06:00:27 AM »
This is a pointless arguement anyway. If Romney wins he wont touch PBS or NPR or abortion or any of the things he is using to whipu up his base. A Romney presidency is going to be business as usual. just like always

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

Offline magooch

« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2012, 06:06:30 AM »
If the only choices are bidness as usual, or all out destruction of the country with blantant communism--I'll settle for bidness as usual.  But I'm not cynical enough yet to think those are our only choices--except for the latter. 
Swingem