Author Topic: The producers of Pawn Stars contacted me  (Read 1025 times)

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
The producers of Pawn Stars contacted me
« on: October 08, 2012, 02:16:38 AM »
The producers of Pawn Stars hit my website and emailed me.  They are an outfit out of New York City and they said they were going to be doing an antique weapons show in Houston and were interested in my things.

They were especially interested in cannons.
Over a period of about two months, they emailed me 5 times and actually called me 4 times.  I consistantly told them that my cannons were not antiques but were my artwork with the exception of one that would fire.  That's the one they were interested in.

On the last call I got from them, the conversation went something like this like this;

Them
We are interested in your white cannon.  What can you tell us about it.

Me
It is a 36" South Bend Replica barrel and the carriage was made by me in 1999.

Them
We would like you to bring it to the filming and shoot it.

Me
That sounds like fun.

Them
One thing though.  We would like for you to go along with us and say that the cannon has been in your family for generations and you want to find out if it is real and how much it is worth.

Me
It's not real and I know how much it is worth.

Them
Just go along with us on the story.

Me
I couldn't do that.  It is very obviously not old.  I would sound stupid.

Them
It's just for the camera.  It would be a good story.

Me
Sorry, I'm not doing that.

My rejection email came two days later.  They thanked me for my interest but said they couldn't use any of my stuff.

It kind of makes you wonder about those other shows you see on TV like Pawn Stars, Antiques Road Show, and all the others.

Maybe they do things differently in New York City than they do here in Texas.
 :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\
Zulu

Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline buzz36

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: The producers of Pawn Stars contacted me
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 02:30:00 AM »
I got a simular offer they wanted me to bring an antique car down as i live in reno NV good 8+hour drive each way
they said when i got there if it was choosen for filming they pay my  gas money both ways if not it was my nickel guess what i told them
i figured out early this show was scrippeted as they are to knwoledgeable about  everything and always have an exspert on hand for everything and all the pawn shops i know would never have there exspert tell what it is worth in from of the seller

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 07:56:42 AM »
They do not exactly care about the difference between fiction and reality. I'm not even going to say that is bad. They are in the story telling business and the story they proposed is better than the story (truth) that you would deliver.

It is disingenuous of them to imply the show is all truth and fact if indeed it is not. No doubt there are some sort of wiggle words tossed in occasion. In the end I don't blame you one bit. Look at the ridicule those (dumb ?) poor SOB's endured from the mountainman show. Your experience has me wondering what the real story would be around that show.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 08:14:44 AM »
I have been involved with a couple of History Channel programs.  There no lies in the shows I was involved in, but what was presented and what happened didn't always match up.

I figured out quite a while back that quite a bit of the program was staged.  Items that were "for sale" that were turned down as too expensive.  Cannons that are demonstrated make for good programming, but neither the "seller" or the pawn shop were going to make a deal.  They just went through the motions for the audience.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 12:09:05 PM »
I watched their show once . Decided I don't care for vultures or other carrion eaters . Ed

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 12:34:55 PM »
the wife of a feller i worked with
12-13 years ago was addicted to those
type of shows and had saw some kind
of special knick-knack that was supposed
to be worth 8 1/2 fortunes.
she went nuts and bought all those type
of doo-dads she could find in stores and
online and pretty much ended up spending
enough to get a good used truck half paid for.
turns out they were worth about what a
pickup bed load of manure would cost.
it's a crying shame folks are so easily sucked
in by "entertaining" "reality" shows and
the b.s. inflated prices on *-bay  :(
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 01:45:02 PM »
Remember, this is Hollywood (even if operating out of NY) and their business first is selling their show, second about propaganda, and third about promoting the sponsors.  Notice that truth, facts, etc., are not on the list.  They are hoping they can sucker in people who are Hollywood junkies and will pay to be part of the show.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 02:00:48 PM »
You guys be sure and watch Family Guns on Nat Geo, I have speaking line in episode 7 or 8...can't remember if I said "paint the carriage" or "use seamless liners" or "don't use pyrodex".   You will just have to watch and see.

Offline GUNNUT in Iowa

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 03:50:21 PM »

Me
. . .  I would sound stupid.

Them
It's just for the camera.  It would be a good story.

Zulu

I'll bet you 100 hundred internet buck that they could care less, if you sound stupid.
They have the "expert" and it is important that HE sounds knowledgeable.  That will be easier - if you sound stupid.

It really makes me feel good, when I hear that people will not sell their integrity or morals for a chance to appear on television. 

GOOD JOB!

Offline skratch

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 04:35:53 PM »
My main interest in firearms is late 1800's to early 1900's rifles and handguns. I've studied them extensively for over a half century but still don't claim to be an " expert ". I watch the Las Vegas Pawn Stars mainly to see the same type of arms brought in. Their " expert ' , a young pup, has a LOT to learn.   ::)

Offline Doc Brown.

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 04:58:29 PM »
Why couldn't they have just let you be honest about it. I love that TV show but after hearing this Ill never watch it again.  If I wanted scripted TV I would just watch the presidential debates or Jersey Shore.

Offline Frank46

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 05:38:48 PM »
Reality shows in my estimation as usually anything but. Sometimes I know enough to be dangerous. But many times can spot something bogus. Zulu, glad to see that you stuck to your guns. Integrity is something once compromised is hard to loose.

Douglas, Family guns has become one of my favorite shows will have to keep on the lookout for your screen debut.
Frank

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 08:43:35 AM »
How in the world could you pass up an opportunity to meet Chumlee in person?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 01:28:50 PM »
Chuckle Chuckle, you got it Cannoneer