Author Topic: Rain, sleet, snow....Tamer  (Read 859 times)

Offline upnut

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Rain, sleet, snow....Tamer
« on: October 08, 2012, 02:07:27 PM »
Grouse hunting in Michigan's Upper Peninsula can be a tough deal, this past weekend was no exception. Rain, sleet and snow took turns pelting us,along with patches of beautiful sunshine. The all-weather Tamer handled it all with ease, not so much for the guy carrying it... ??? ...

Had a great time!
Scott B.

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Rain, sleet, snow....Tamer
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 02:33:09 AM »
Well it looked like you had fun but how many grouse did you get with that Tamer?

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 12:29:10 PM »
Grouse hunting in Michigan's Upper Peninsula can be a tough deal, this past weekend was no exception. Rain, sleet and snow took turns pelting us,along with patches of beautiful sunshine. The all-weather Tamer handled it all with ease, not so much for the guy carrying it... ??? ...

Had a great time!
Scott B.
What are you doing with my gun?
I have one just like that one ;D
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline upnut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 05:30:34 AM »
Well it looked like you had fun but how many grouse did you get with that Tamer?
We we not able to connect on any grouse, they were staying in TheThick Nasties where walking was difficult and shots near impossible. In other words typical grouse hunting... :)  In those conditions a short, light, all-weather Tamer was just right. We were able to scratch down a timberdoodle in the popples:

Oh, and Plumberroy, your pics were the inspiration for that shotgun....Thanks!
Scott B.

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 01:30:43 PM »
Is a handy little set up mine shoots those  1 oz brenneke short mag slugs like a rifle out to 50 yards too  I like my short singleshot shotguns  I have one like that, a fixed full choked 24"barrel 12 ga. turkey gun,  a 77 vintage  model 162 buck  with a 24" barrel and a  youth rossi 410with a 22" barrel
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline geartow

• Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 01:35:03 AM »
Tamer was the first fire arm I bought after getting divorced . That year it served as house gun, took a doe ,hunted squirrell .It was all I had . It still is dueing house duty . It is the best little due all when its all you got.
Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 03:27:47 AM »
upnut,

thanks for the post!  I am going grouse hunting in two weeks with a couple of friends just south of Grayling.  I was going to bring my Beretta 303 with 26" barrel but I will leave it in the safe and bring a Handi shorty.  The cover doesn't look like it allows second shots (or first shots for that matter) so no point with a long barreled autoloader.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline upnut

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 07:36:25 AM »
upnut,

thanks for the post!  I am going grouse hunting in two weeks with a couple of friends just south of Grayling.  I was going to bring my Beretta 303 with 26" barrel but I will leave it in the safe and bring a Handi shorty.  The cover doesn't look like it allows second shots (or first shots for that matter) so no point with a long barreled autoloader.

BB
I would recommend taking both, you may be the lucky one with open shooting lanes... 8) I used to bring along an H&R Pardner as a back-up, now that's about all I carry, that Tamer really was just the right gun for that hunt! Above all get out there and enjoy the woods!
Scott B.