Author Topic: 1st NY youth deer hunt was safe  (Read 744 times)

Offline LanceR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
1st NY youth deer hunt was safe
« on: October 10, 2012, 01:52:36 AM »
Despite the wild eyed claims from some in the bowhunting community that there would be a statewide massacre of bowhunters by youth hunters with guns this last weekend there were no hunter relater shooting incidents over the weekend.  And there are a whole lot of different seasons open throughout the state right now.

As of yesterday morning the reported deer take was almost 400.  The deer harvest reporting window is still open for the youth hunt so we'll have to wait a bit to see how many deer were taken in all.

I guess the New York Bowhunters Inc can put out a message to their members that they really didn't need the body armor and helmets this weekend....

Lance

Offline grizzlyadams1874

Re: 1st NY youth deer hunt was safe
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 01:30:41 AM »
may have been safe, but too bad they ruined the bow season! :-\

Offline Mike103

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 01:18:43 PM »
Scared all the deer away?
LOL!

Silly bowhunters.

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 02:33:10 PM »
not worht a reply, but I feel compelled.   How did they ruin the bow hunt?  Details please not silly theories. 
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 10:40:43 PM »
So, I am guessing there are no details?
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 03:21:24 AM »
Ya know I don't personally know anyone that took their youngster out,now that pretty bad. I am surprised some didn't take them out so they (the supposing adult) could cheat the season and the kid.

Offline oldhunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 02:36:33 AM »
Leave it to the NYS Bowhunters Assoc. to complain.  Bowhunters in general enjoy the longest season with the ability to hunt during the entire rut and as well as throughout the entire firearm season if they so desire.  Most bowhunters that I have talked to do not belong the the NYSBA and could care less about allowing crossbows or youth hunting seasons as long as NYS promotes hunting.  It is the ASSOCIATION with its narrowminded opinions and greed to have it their way that makes it difficult for the elderly and youths to use a crossbow during archery season or the early youth season that infringes on "their" season.  Unfortunately, the ASSOC. has the money, lawyers and a narrowminded group that somehow always gets what they want from the DEC.  Another example of the tail wagging the dog.  I hope that NYS increases the youth season and quickly allows crossbows during the entire archery season while I am still able to hunt.  With numerous health issues, I can no longer use a bow but would love to once again hunt the length of the archery season with a crossbow and would never deny the youth the opportunity to have an extended season of their own during archery season.  We need these "kids" to learn all they can about hunting that includes both archery and firearms. 

oldhunter

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 05:39:25 AM »
If we the hunters and outdoorsman don't get the kids involved who will. To me the biggest thing adults need to teach the youth is gun safety,because if not some will eventually enter the woods on thier own when they get of legal age without much knowledge about it. Next year our group will have 1 to take out and 2yrs later another and you can count on them being taught well. They already know most of the woods we hunt better than some of the adults.