Author Topic: Range Report: Handi-Rifle in 300 AAC Blackout  (Read 3223 times)

Offline dbuffington

• Trade Count: (0)
Range Report: Handi-Rifle in 300 AAC Blackout
« on: October 10, 2012, 08:13:41 AM »
Here’s a quick report on my new Handi-Rifle chambered in 300 AAC Blackout …

Everyone says the 300 Blackout Handi-Rifle is small … and they’re right. When I picked mine up -- from the good folks at Lanco Tactical in Elizabethtown, Pa. -- I was stunned by how tiny it is. Even after the Lanco guys screwed on the flash-hider/quick-disconnect muzzle piece, it looked like a toy.

Attaching my YHM Phantom suppressor gave it a bit more visual heft … and a lot more actual weight. With the stock stock and the suppressor, it’s a bit front heavy, but not terribly so.

At the range? Well, there’s no confusing the Handi-Rifle for a toy. After just a few shots to get the red dot sighted in, here’s the grouping I got at 50 yards:

And I’m sure it will do better with a more appropriate optic for target shooting. (I’m thinking of some kind of extended-eye-relief -- i.e., pistol -- scope in the classic “Scout” configuration. That would also eliminate the clearance problems you’d have with the hammer and a conventional scope.)

Out of the box, the trigger pull was a bit heavy -- 6 pounds, 4 ounces on the Lyman scale -- but it breaks very cleanly. I suspect use will lighten the pull, and so, I’m not inclined to muck with the trigger.

Of course, the whole point of this exercise is to produce a quieter gun, one without the action noises built into the AR platform. You judge whether it does that …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dsm9H2JnrM&feature=youtu.be

Complaints? The buttstock is too light and too short. However, there are lots of aftermarket choices for Handi-Rifles. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!
Dave

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
Re: Range Report: Handi-Rifle in 300 AAC Blackout
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 09:09:45 AM »
Looks like its gonna be a shooter.  My stubbed blackout shoots great with subsonic 220 grain loads.
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline dbuffington

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 09:19:35 AM »
Looks like its gonna be a shooter.  My stubbed blackout shoots great with subsonic 220 grain loads.

Hi Jason!

Yup. These were handloads using Hornady AMAX 208 grain bullets.

Thanks!
Dave

Offline eskimo36

• Trade Count: (156)
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 12:51:29 PM »
Glad to see its a shooter after many pundits saying if Savage couldn't do it, there was no way H&R could do it.  I really enjoy my blackouts.
"one shot is usually enough"

Offline hoytcanon

• If there is a season for it... I have a pot to cook it in.
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • A Real Regular
  • Handi's and Henry's... a perfect partnership!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 01:42:03 PM »
I used a Boyd's Sterling stock set on my Black Russian combo (.300 AAC BLK & 7.62X39)... I lightly sanded the butt stock and forearm and sprayed them with 2 coats of flat black Krylon and then with five coats of Black textured satin Krylon... it looks great on the gun... I mounted a Mueller 2-7X32 Multi-Shot on the 7.62 and a Mueller 3-9X40 Sport Dot on the Black Out... both scopes are in DNZ Gamereaper mounts... it is a very nice combo and great fun to shoot...
Hoyt Handi's; Ultra Black .22 K-Hornet Shorty, Black Synthetic K-Hornet Shorty & Nickel .410 Combo (sons), Ultra Granite Grey .22 BR Rem, Ultra Nutmeg .223 & .30/30 Shorty Combo (sons), Ultra Forest .223/7mm-08 Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest .243/.308 Combo, Ultra Nutmeg .243/.308 Combo (sons),  Jacaranda/Cocobolo .30/30 & 7.62X39 Shorty Combo, Ultra Black/Stainless .260 Rem Stub, Ultra Black/Stainless .338 Federal Stub,  Ultra Grey .358 Win, Ultra Grey .35 Whelen, Walnut/Cocobolo Mannlicher .357 MAX, Buffalo Classic Mannlicher .44 Mag Shorties w/NDS-38 peeps (X2; Sons & mine), Ultra Grey Stainless .45/70 & .243 & 20 Gauge Combo, Buffalo Classic 26" .45/70, 9.3X74R Mannlicher, Synthetic Nickel .410 & .30/30 & Versa Pak .22 LR Shorty Combo, Ultra Forest/Cocobolo 12 Gauge 3.5" Turkey; Most scoped with DNZ or Dura Sight one-piece bases and Mueller, Hawke or Nikon scopes... several with Skinner Peeps and Williams Fire Sight ramps.

Offline dbuffington

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 02:03:16 PM »
I used a Boyd's Sterling stock set on my Black Russian combo (.300 AAC BLK & 7.62X39)... I lightly sanded the butt stock and forearm and sprayed them with 2 coats of flat black Krylon and then with five coats of Black textured satin Krylon... it looks great on the gun...

I suspect so, but you know, we need photos for proof  :D

Thanks!
Dave

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 02:08:25 PM »
I am very pleased that now one has actually hit the field it turns out well. The assets I look at are the size and weight, and especially length. As I walked around my place the other day with my wood stocked Hornet, which I do love, that after my mile circumference (around the 40) it was getting a bit heavy. If it will shoot at all with some 110 gr SP's for small stuff I will feel completely vindicated. So many her are/ were nay sayers about this cartridge, it does EXACTLY what it was supposed to- provide enjoyment. It will probably account for a lot of small game, pests , varmints, some cans, and maybe an occasional deer if the circumstances are right. 8) 8) YESSSSSSSSSSS ! ;)
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline dbuffington

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 02:09:23 PM »
Glad to see its a shooter after many pundits saying if Savage couldn't do it, there was no way H&R could do it.  I really enjoy my blackouts.

I heard the same chatter, but I couldn't understand it ... There's nothing inherently exotic or problematic about the 300 Blackout cartridge. Yes, if you want to stay subsonic, there's a limited velocity range to work in, but hey, people have been dealing with that successfully with .22 Long Rifle for 100 years.

And the principles of making good cartridges and good barrels are hardly a secret either. So I suspect Savage bailed for financial reasons (not enough projected sales), and I'm just glad H&R stayed in the game. I hope they sell a ton of these things  :D

Thanks!
Dave

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 02:10:34 PM »
BOYDS

has the laminated thumb hole on sale now
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline dbuffington

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 03:46:34 PM »
If it will shoot at all with some 110 gr SP's for small stuff I will feel completely vindicated.

Consider yourself vindicated ...

The target above shows a five-shot group shot at 50 yards with my AR (CMMG) chambered in 300 Blackout using Remington Premier Match 125 grain. I've also had very good results with the 110 gr Hornady and (believe it or nuts) the 110 gr "White Box" Remington UMC.

Enjoy!
Dave

Offline FPH

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 06:41:08 PM »
If it will shoot at all with some 110 gr SP's for small stuff I will feel completely vindicated.

Consider yourself vindicated ...

The target above shows a five-shot group shot at 50 yards with my AR (CMMG) chambered in 300 Blackout using Remington Premier Match 125 grain. I've also had very good results with the 110 gr Hornady and (believe it or nuts) the 110 gr "White Box" Remington UMC.

Enjoy!
Dave

Can you load a subsconic round for your AR that won't cycle the action and will still group?

Offline dbuffington

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 02:32:53 AM »
Can you load a subsconic round for your AR that won't cycle the action and will still group?

Oh, that's easy. It's finding a subsonic round that WILL cycle the action and still group that's the problem. My recipe for that is:

Buffington Handload #32
- Resized Remington 300 AAC Blackout Brass
- CCI Small Rifle Magnum Primer
- Hornady 208 gr AMAX Bullet
- Vihtavouri N110 Powder 8.4 gr
- COL at SAMMI max (I forget what that is at the moment.)

That cartridge is:
- consistently subsonic
- very accurate
- feeds properly in USGI magazines (Magpul mags can be a bit problematic.)
- very quiet with very low flash and smoke

Feeding? At first, in my AR, that would cycle reliably about 75 percent of the time. After much experimentation, I ended up cutting four turns off the recoil spring, and now, it cycles reliably 100 percent of the time.

So, if you really don't want it to cycle, you could go to a heavier spring or cut back the powder a bit. (If I recall correctly, 8.0 grains was still accurate, but wouldn't cycle at all.)

A disclaimer ... AR uppers, lowers and parts may be interchangeable, but that doesn't mean they're the same. Minor variations in gas ports, spring rates, hole spacing, moon phases could produce different results. And when you're trying to use an AR to propel a 200 grain bullet at subsonic speeds, you're on the ragged edge of the original Stoner design. Your mileage may vary.

Enjoy!
Dave

P.S. I erred in an earlier post. The Remington UMC cartridges have 115 grain bullets.

Offline 26-t

• Retired
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (21)
  • Contributor
  • Father and Son At Bonneville SpeedWeek 07
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 02:54:46 AM »
Are you using a Carbine length gas tube or a Pistol length tube on the Ar barrel? 26-t

Offline dbuffington

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 03:28:09 AM »
Are you using a Carbine length gas tube or a Pistol length tube on the Ar barrel? 26-t

Carbine. I wanted to maintain compatibility with supersonic loads. Thanks!

Offline 26-t

• Retired
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (21)
  • Contributor
  • Father and Son At Bonneville SpeedWeek 07
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 10:39:54 AM »
The pistol length will give you more gas at the key/ faster cycle time. If you have trouble with the carbine length you can enlarge the gas port in barrel ,it will help out a bunch. 26-t

Offline twoshooter

• Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 11:39:27 AM »
SUPER! My modern day 32-20 is a reality! I will begin to finagle my way around to one. The 115 grainers clenched it. I am no AR fan, but the little handi makes my day. Thanks guys. ;D
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline dbuffington

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 01:04:07 PM »
The pistol length will give you more gas at the key/ faster cycle time. If you have trouble with the carbine length you can enlarge the gas port in barrel ,it will help out a bunch. 26-t

I think I'm OK as I'm rigged now, but I'm waiting to see how it behaves in colder weather. Many thanks!
Dave

Offline dbuffington

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 01:12:19 PM »
SUPER! My modern day 32-20 is a reality!

Indeed  ;D

Offline FPH

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 03:09:04 PM »

Oh, that's easy. It's finding a subsonic round that WILL cycle the action and still group that's the problem. My recipe for that is:

Buffington Handload #32
- Resized Remington 300 AAC Blackout Brass
- CCI Small Rifle Magnum Primer
- Hornady 208 gr AMAX Bullet
- Vihtavouri N110 Powder 8.4 gr
- COL at SAMMI max (I forget what that is at the moment.)

That cartridge is:
- consistently subsonic
- very accurate
- feeds properly in USGI magazines (Magpul mags can be a bit problematic.)
- very quiet with very low flash and smoke

Feeding? At first, in my AR, that would cycle reliably about 75 percent of the time. After much experimentation, I ended up cutting four turns off the recoil spring, and now, it cycles reliably 100 percent of the time.

So, if you really don't want it to cycle, you could go to a heavier spring or cut back the powder a bit. (If I recall correctly, 8.0 grains was still accurate, but wouldn't cycle at all.)

A disclaimer ... AR uppers, lowers and parts may be interchangeable, but that doesn't mean they're the same. Minor variations in gas ports, spring rates, hole spacing, moon phases could produce different results. And when you're trying to use an AR to propel a 200 grain bullet at subsonic speeds, you're on the ragged edge of the original Stoner design. Your mileage may vary.

Enjoy!
Dave

P.S. I erred in an earlier post. The Remington UMC cartridges have 115 grain bullets.

You don't want the action to cycle if you want a truly silenced round.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 03:16:10 PM »
saw and handled one today.
neat, but not the direction i want
to go. i'm trying to cut down on having
so many different calibers instead
of adding any new ones. i
tried to wish it into a 30/30 , but
it didn't work :(

neat gun though. . . . . .
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline dbuffington

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 03:12:55 AM »
You don't want the action to cycle if you want a truly silenced round.

It’s difficult -- perhaps impossible -- to stop all the movement in the AR action. Even if it doesn’t cycle, the bolt can still move. Even if you cut off gas flow tube completely, the suppressor causes back pressure which moves the bolt.

Worst of all is the recoil spring, which sounds like a cheese grater on aluminum foil. Even if the bolt only moves the spring a bit, you still hear it.

So that’s why I jumped at the opportunity to test the Handi-Rifle. The only noises it makes is the trigger mechanism (essentially silent) and the hammer fall (audible, but not far).

Enjoy!
Dave

Offline FPH

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 04:38:17 AM »
I saw a suppressed 10/22.....only sound you heard was the fireing pin dropping.