Author Topic: Anyone know how or has tried opening up a Lee sizer die?  (Read 1010 times)

Offline jpuke

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
Anyone know how or has tried opening up a Lee sizer die?
« on: October 10, 2012, 11:59:13 PM »
I don't know why Lee insists on selling their 45 Cal rifle sizers at .457" instead of a more reasonable .459".  Has anyone tried opening one of these up the extra .002" or more? 

I have a drill press and have tried to think of ways to use that to get the die just a hair larger but I'm not a machinist.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Anyone know how or has tried opening up a Lee sizer die?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 02:22:33 AM »
The drill press works fairly well for this. I hold the die in the vise, (little one that sits on the table, not held down) and chuck up on a split dowel or metal rod. Use 220 grit or so sandpaper to start, wrapped around the dowel to the right size. Run at moderate speed and hone up and down until you're close to where you want to be. To check the size clean the die well and either use gauge pins or run a bullet through it and mic it. Finish up with some 400 or so grit paper to make it a mirror, and they work a whole lot better than when they come out of the factory.

Pushers are another matter. The edge should be quite sharp, with about .002" less than the bore size so you don't get misformed bullet bases. The factory Lee ones are too soft and too small usually.

A case lube pad and RCBS case lube works quite well for sizing bullets. The lube is water soluble so it washes off after you size them. This avoids sticking bullets and smearing lead, and lets you size bullets a considerable amount in one pass if you need to. 
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline swifty22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 03:57:02 AM »
JP- have done several, all w/LBT lapping compound and air dropped wheel weight rejects. Just follow the instructions on the lapping kit but run them through the sizer as usual and keep mikin' till you get the desired size. No need to polish or anything, just make sure the die and pusher  are clean before using.-Muddy

Offline Kmrere42

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 03:01:41 PM »
Hi,

I've done it with a hardinge speed lathe and a small carbide boring bar. The finish after turning was sweet.  Makes me wonder why Lee doesn't rough turn, then harden, and then finish turn. 

Paul,

Offline res45

• Avid Poster
Linux Mint Mate 15

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 05:36:13 AM »
I've had to lap out most of the Star dies I've bought. Magma doesn't seem to really listen to what I'm asking for. I use wooden dowels with 600 grit wet/dry sand paper wrapped around, and roll the die on the dowel. They clean up pretty quickly, and I suspect they are not hardened in any way, as fast as they clean up. It's disappointing to see all the tool marks left inside the dies from the original manufacturing process. They really stand out after a couple of minutes of lapping. Shots at Magma aside, it does go quickly, and you can easily do it yourself.

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 07:04:24 AM »
Or you can order a custom die from Lee and get it back in 3 weeks.   ;D
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 10:03:50 AM »
Track of the Wolf sells Lee sizer dies in .460 for about $19 plus shipping.  I just got one for 45-70 PP sizing.  Just fyi...

Couple of similar ways to enlarge on the Cast Boolits forum.
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline ventura guy

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 07:14:06 AM »

I've fought with lee sizing dies for a long time. Its best to just get the right size first.

Track of the Wolf sells Lee sizer dies in .460 for about $19 plus shipping.  I just got one for 45-70 PP sizing.  Just fyi...

Couple of similar ways to enlarge on the Cast Boolits forum.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 03:13:47 PM »
Remember if you do this that if you want to go from, say .457 to .459, that .002 is only '.001 on a side'; not much so dont get to hoggin'.
The spit dowel works, but you want a fairly close fit of the dowel wrapped with paper, not a loose floppy fit. Lube the 'wet or dry' paper with WD-40 as you go.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974