Author Topic: forcing cone??  (Read 648 times)

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
forcing cone??
« on: October 11, 2012, 07:44:44 PM »
Some time back (earlier this year) I bought two 20 ga Pardner barrels (different lengths), with the intention of fitting both to rifle frames (SB2) to make combo guns, or possibly turning them into "Paradox" barrels.  While I have yet to measure the bores, something about these feels weird.  Do these barrels have a forcing cone?  I cannot detect one with a tight fitting mop, like I can feel on my 870 barrels.  I am thinking of running a forcing cone lengthening reamer into one, and maybe porting it as well, after I get them fitted.

Anyway, does anyone have any clue about the forcing cone of a 20 ga Mod choked Pardner barrel??

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline Airsporter

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: forcing cone??
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 10:24:18 PM »
I'm thinking all shotgun barrels have a forcing cone, except muzzleloaders.

Offline keith44

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 06:56:53 AM »
all breech loading shotgun barrels should, some are really short with abrupt angles, the better ones are long with a good taper to the bore diameter.  As inexpensive (note: I am not calling these guns cheap  ;) ) as these guns are I'm betting the cone is little more than a radius at the end of the chamber.
Life member NRA

Offline Sprint

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 02:45:23 AM »
The industry standard (SAAMI) angle for shotgun chamber forcing cones is 5 degrees. IIRC, all shotgun barrels manufactured by H&R/NEF had the forcing cones changed from 5 to 15 degrees sometime in the 1990's.

Sprint

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 03:00:49 AM »
I don't know from what angle the forcing cone is measured from.  I guess I'm asking is 15 degrees a LONGER cone then 5?  In rifle shoulder angles the greater the angle the more radical the reduction angle (shorter distance).  The gentle angle of a .30-30 is 15 degrees while the shorter reduction of 30 degrees in a 300 Savage is much more pronounced. 

Offline keith44

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 04:51:42 AM »
The industry standard (SAAMI) angle for shotgun chamber forcing cones is 5 degrees. IIRC, all shotgun barrels manufactured by H&R/NEF had the forcing cones changed from 5 to 15 degrees sometime in the 1990's.

Sprint

So I could have a 5 degree forcing cone barrel here...hmm
time to break out the id calipers

Life member NRA

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 06:08:15 AM »
if you don't, it's easily remedied.
l.f.c. reamer, then polish chamber,
and i always follow with barrel polish. ;)
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Sprint

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 02:58:39 AM »
I don't know from what angle the forcing cone is measured from.  I guess I'm asking is 15 degrees a LONGER cone then 5?  In rifle shoulder angles the greater the angle the more radical the reduction angle (shorter distance).  The gentle angle of a .30-30 is 15 degrees while the shorter reduction of 30 degrees in a 300 Savage is much more pronounced. 

Your assessment is 100% spot on!  When I posted, I must have been thinking one thing and wrote another. Sorry for the confusion.

Sprint

Offline jpshaw

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 01:47:54 AM »
So I assume they changed the cone from 15 degrees to 5 sometime in the 1990's?  Would like to know what date that was since I do have a 1999 20 gauge barrel.