Author Topic: Nosler 17 caliber bullet loads  (Read 765 times)

Offline Reloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Nosler 17 caliber bullet loads
« on: October 12, 2012, 01:17:29 AM »
Is anybody loading the 20 grain bullets for the 17 Remington. I just bought 200 bullets but can't find any loading data for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I can make it go bang it can't be that hard to do.

Offline sgte5

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (19)
Re: Nosler 17 caliber bullet loads
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 07:22:56 AM »
Go to the Hodgden Reloading data site. They have eight loads listed for 17 Rem 20 gr bullets. I've used Varget and have decent results. Good luck,  hope this helps you out.

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 08:51:14 AM »
 I've tried the 20 grain bullets in MY .17 Remington model 700 with little success. The heavier 25 grainers work very well though. I'm thinking of trying the 30 grain berger to see if my gun likes them. I have just over 1000 bullets thru this barrel. I MAY just rebarrel or rebore to the .204 Ruger. I'll get the speed and heavier bullet for quick kills at longer range.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 10:22:20 AM »
So far I have been shooting the Hornady 20g bullets with Varget in loads from 23.5g up to 25.2g and have had mildly good results , I'm thinking about switching over to either BLC-2 or Ramshots TAC for the mext batch of loads though .

I'm wondering if a Ball powder might give me the same or smaller groups while increasing the speed somewhat , Varget just seems to be a tad on the slow side for a round like the 17 Rem.

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 11:16:35 AM »
Nosler???   Good grief, youre saying they finally came out with a 17 cal bullet.   :o

Way back when they first started their forums I started the thread for and tried like hell to get them into the 17 market... for months and months, all the why's, lots of other folks backing me up.   They tiptoed on the open forum, but "no way, we will never make 17 cal bullets" was the gist of the private replies to me.   "Not enough of a market for them"    My reply... "On which planet?   You're sure way out of touch with the predator and varmint hunting fields".   So much for Nosler's in my 20ish 17 caliber rifles and specialty pistols at the time, most of them wildcats.

Too late now, I quit the forum and gave up on them for 17's way back then, all their bullets in fact later.   Even themn there were too many others out there just as good or better, and for less money.

20 gr would shoot fine, but the 25gr was literally made for the 17Rem and remains my first choice for mid to large case sizes.    17 wildcats that equal or exceed the 17Rem I liked heavier, but in the 17Rem intself too for some uses.  When I used the 20's it was mostly in some of the smaller case 17's, ... the CCM, Squirrel, Mink, Ackley Hornets, maybe the Bee's.   But I actually prefer the 17gr in the smallest.   These can all push the 25's just fine, but not with as much authority.   I don't pass on loading data, but there SB plenty of load data on-line for the 17REM w/20's.   Shouldn't matter though if not, use 25 data and adjust.   When working up loads you'll find what is optimum yet safe for each firearm with the 20's fast enough.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Reloader

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 11:21:38 AM »
I actually got in touch with Nosler and they sent me some data. Looks like something to try on a slow day this Winter. The only thing I've shot with the 17 is 25 grain Hornady's.
Works well on crows.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 07:26:37 AM »
I hope they don't plan on a Partition Bullet.................or are they?
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Reloader

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 10:19:51 AM »
These bullets sure are small.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 11:04:01 AM »
These bullets sure are small.

Nah. 10, 12 and 14 caliber is small.   ;)
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus