Author Topic: Cannon Lock  (Read 864 times)

Offline skratch

• Trade Count: (0)
Cannon Lock
« on: October 13, 2012, 08:49:50 AM »
Here's a cannon lock I just finished, made to use with 209 shotshell primers.

Offline buzz36

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Cannon Lock
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 08:58:16 AM »
what hold the primer or doese it jsut sit inthe notch

Offline skratch

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 12:09:05 PM »
The 209 shotshell primer has a rim, it sets in the touch hole, the rim holds it like the rim on a rimmed cartridge case. The notch surrounds the primer except to the front to allow the pressure and primer to escape up and forward on firing.
I designed the lock based on an early lock which used a musket cap. It swiveled side ways to allow access to the touch hole.

Offline skratch

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 06:37:54 PM »
A pic of the cannon lock hammer in about half recoil position and the primer going forward and up. Hard to see the primer, at the point of the arrow. The lock worked great, almost instant ignition.   :)

Offline BoomLover

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 09:25:38 PM »
Skratch, that is an excellent design, simple but effective. Good job, looks like it works great...
BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline de_lok

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
  • ICW
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2012, 06:36:19 AM »
Skratch>, I have been building cannon locks for years, I have actually made several hundred of them (I have some really nice cnc stuff available nearby). I wasn't trying to re-invent the wheel, just make a compact simple lock for scale cannons. Every now and then I am pleasently suprised at some of the new designs (of an old idea). I really like your 209 lock, it is not only a good concept but the design is also very nice, especially the lanyard guide, nice touch 8) . Keep up the good work!

Dewayne

Offline skratch

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2012, 05:37:51 PM »
de-lok, thanks for the comments. I like the look of your lock, nice. I wanted to make the hammer contour more like an older design such as yours but decided to test fire as to weight first. The 209 primers need only a moderate tug to ignite, everything else seemed to work fine so I may re-shape the hammer to better match the base as to a period appearance .  :)

skratch,,,