Author Topic: IS my scope broken?  (Read 693 times)

Offline shinjin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Robin Martin, retired LEO, CEO Public Safety Agenc
IS my scope broken?
« on: October 15, 2012, 04:51:01 AM »
Bought a used Millet 6-18X scope. Pretty clear, decent optics. I have tried it on two different rifles now and each time I have same issue.

While it will hold a group (very tight) I cannot move the crosshairs either vertical or horizontal to sight in.

I have taped the adjustments with an empty cartridge, the plastic handle of a screwdriver and yesterday a rubber mallet. Still the crosshairs do not adjust.

I see no break in the crosshairs. No tilting. And it will put round after round in the same tight group.

Suggestions, ideas or a heh heh, a buyer?

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
Re: IS my scope broken?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 06:55:31 AM »
Can only suggest from long experience using and a little tinkering with scopes, not as one who knows much about repairing them.

It's certainly possible the internal adjustment mechanism's are broken, out of position, whatever that would mean a trip in for repair.   But also possible (that I've seen myself in cheap scopes) is reticles that were probably set for a firearm and not exercised over a long period of time.   They can get "stuck" for want of a better term.   The lubrication on the works can crust over, dry, harden, etc, a time thing or a environmental thing they were exposed to that changed the lubs properties.   Long ago I opened up a couple of cheap scopes with the same problem to see why.   It was the lube and on those it was known they had not been exercised for many years.   But with crappy QC even newer scopes might show the same.  I didn't try to repair scopes myself.   Cheap scopes are not worth sending in to me so would just get tossed.
'FWIW

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline shinjin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 02:09:10 PM »
what i thought hence the "gentle" taps with the rubber mallet .
I would think if it were broken it wouldn't hold a group but it shoots a sub 1 inch group repeatedly on two different rifles.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 03:02:38 PM »
Yeah, but tight groups aren't worth much if they're not where they are suppose to be.   ;)

You might try applying some heat to see if it is the lube.  Maybe a hair dryer on the turret block and a whack or two.   I wouldn't get too crazy with a lighter, torch etc with the nitrogen though.    If it doesn't help, not much more is lost, its really not useable as is.

Or you could always run an ad...   Scope For Sale.   Used.  Reticle is soilid with no worries about about any play at all in the adjustments.   Looking for a buyer who has a firearm that wants to shoot to its same point of aim (or has a good supply of shim materials).   Sold as is, no returns.  Price: Actual cost of shipping.  FIRM.

Who knows.   They sell firearms to anybody now days.   ;)
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline wmdron

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 03:03:46 PM »
 If the adjustments won't move the bullets point of impact then it sounds to me like a scope problem. Rifle sounds like it is ok. Try a different scope to be sure.

Offline FPH

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 03:20:55 PM »
Hair dryer trick has worked for me.  I even steamed one as a last resort.

Offline shinjin

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 10:33:08 AM »
Will try the Hair Dryer.
Scope is clear as a Blue Sky and 18X so I hate to toss it.

Offline tomtomz

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
  • Loaded for Bear!
    • Liberty!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 12:11:24 PM »
Bought a used Millet 6-18X scope.
Call Bushnell and have it repaired. Don't mention that you are not the original buyer.

They are passionate about their optics, especially the Millet brand, and will help you out.