Author Topic: GripMaker Grips - Pic added  (Read 2622 times)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
GripMaker Grips - Pic added
« on: October 15, 2012, 11:12:56 AM »
Back in June I posted about looking for faux Ivory grips:
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,258613.0.html

On Finger McGee's recommendation I contacted Larry at GripMaker.  Thanks Fingers!!!  ;D
http://www.gripmaker.com/

Well, I finally got around to ordering a set of plain ivory grips from him.  Let me tell you, I was pleasantly supprised at how good they looked when I opened the package!  To say I am extreamly happy with them would be an understatement!   ;D

Not only do they look good, but the material "feels good" and seems like it will be very easy to work with.  I've already done some testing on the extra pannel Larry gives to first time buyers.

The final fitting work seems to be minimal and, in any event, will be a darn sight easier then carving grips outa a block of material like I thought I would have to do!  'sides, it will be fun to do it myself.   ;)

I was gonna say no pictures yet, but I think I'll take one when I get home.  Sort of a before and after thing.   :P
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Fingers McGee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
    • Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: GripMaker Grips
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 06:18:14 AM »
Glad you like them AtlLaw.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee
Man of many Colt's and alter ego of Diabolical Ken
SASS Regulator 28654-L-TG, Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire
Pistoleer/Frontiersman, Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
Re: GripMaker Grips - Pic added
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 04:58:53 PM »
O tay!   ;D   One pic of the revolver and grips before working on them!

Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 01:40:47 PM »
Looks like a good start.  Be sure to post a pic when you get em done  :)
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers; Moniteau Creek River Raiders, The Ozark's Posse, Butterfield Trail Cowboys
NRA Endowment Life: NMLRA, GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-115; STORM 327, LASOOS 144, SBSS735

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be."  Ambrose Bierce

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
Re: GripMaker Grips - Completed grip Pic added
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 02:06:53 PM »
Well, I got me a new phone and, since I still haven't found my camera, took a pic of the revolver with it's new grips.  I like 'em!   ;D Think I'll put a set of stags on my conversion!   ;)
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Fingers McGee

• Avid Poster
Re: GripMaker Grips - Completed grip Pic added
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 05:42:54 PM »
Well, I got me a new phone and, since I still haven't found my camera, took a pic of the revolver with it's new grips.  I like 'em!   ;D Think I'll put a set of stags on my conversion!   ;)

Good lookin pistola there AtlLaw.  The Gripmaker grips really set it off.  Likeyour choice of background material as well

Offline Hickok

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 12:07:43 AM »
Atlaw, you did a good job fitting the grips, and they look great. Can you give some details as to what your process was in working down the grips? Were they easy to polish up?

I would like to get a set for my 1860 Uberti.
Montani Semper Liberi  ><>

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 05:11:59 AM »
Hey W. Bill!   ;)

Not much to it at all.  The grips come cut pretty close to the grip frame you specify.

The set pictured was off a bit so I had to cock them to get the grip frame covered.  That required me to square up the right angle at the top of each grip.  After that it was just a matter if gluing the spacer in and sanding the edges down to the frame.

The grip material is very easy to work with.  I didn't sand it past 400 grit because I didn't want a high polish.  Then I sealed them with a paste wax.  Really very easy!   ;D

I was so happy with them I ordered a set of stag grips for my '51 Richard's conversion.  This time I traced the outline of the grips and sent that to Gripmaker.  The Stag Grips I received are almost a perfect fit to the 51's frame.

They ain't Ivory, and they ain't real stag, but I like the look!   ;D 
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline Hickok

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 08:24:37 AM »
Thanks for the details AtlLaw. They do look good on your Navy. I may get a pair in the near future.
Montani Semper Liberi  ><>

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 01:04:22 PM »
I'd like to see a photo of those stag grips, thinking of ordering a set for my 1860.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 02:08:49 PM »
I have them sitting on my workbench Joe!   ;D

I've been working on a longrifle (I'm semi-detailing the build over on the Traditional ML'er sub forum) but I'm gonna step back from it a bit.  I've got to many other half done projects!   ::) 

Considering that conversion has become my favorite plinking revolver, I think I'll move fitting those grips to the head of the line!   ;D  Pictures soon I hope!   ;)
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline FourBee

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 02:06:27 PM »
Hey AtlLaw:  Those ivory grips are beautiful on that ole revolver.  Makes me want some for mine. 
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 04:21:58 PM »
Thanks!   ;D  I'm happy with them.

Look at the ones CJ put on his '60 Army.  And I'm working on a set of stags on my Richard's over in the SA forum.

All in all, they give the "look" very cheaply.  I'd love TruIvory, but I had a bad experience with their customer service and they are, comparatively, very expensive!   :-\
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline FourBee

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 03:16:19 AM »
Hey Richard:  Yeah; I saw those too, and they're nice.  I put 'Stags' on my SAA, but man, that  ' i v o r y ' stands out with authority. :)
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2013, 03:37:09 AM »
It sure does doesn't it!   ;D

I'm fixin to post some pictures of my stags and attempts at "ageing' over on the SA forum right now!   ;)
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 07:38:10 AM »
I just had some made for a pair of 1862's waiting for them to come in the mail. I used the banded ivory from these guys:

http://www.rtresearch.net/rtresearch/RT%20Cat.htm#five

and had Walt Marston make them for me

http://www.gunfighter928.com/grips.html

he did a walnut pair for another pair of 1862's I have (excuse the crappy pics)

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 08:08:07 AM »
I just had some made for a pair of 1862's waiting for them to come in the mail. I used the banded ivory...

I went to the web site and that stuff looks interesting.   :-\   Pretty pricey though.  Almost as much as TruIvory.  Can you post a pic of the grips?   ???

http://www.gunfighter928.com/grips.html

another pair of 1862's...

Those are really nice looking!   ;D   And the case is nice also!  I've always wanted to try building cases like that...  ;)
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline jaxenro

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 10:50:15 AM »
will post some pics when they arrive. the case is from Bill Shumate

http://www.billscases.com/

they are beautiful and authentic. can't praise him enough just the wait time is a few months.

I have another one on order for the 1862's (5 1/2" barrels Cimarron firearms with the "aged" finish and the strange "address sam cotl ney work" or something like that barrel stamp that Cimarron used on a couple of revolvers. So they will have a Bill double case, aged finish, and the imitation banded ivory grips

I think enough "ivory" to make grips for the pair of 1862 pockets was $59 so a lot less than tru-ivory. I tried them first but they took forever to respond and then suggested I write back in a few months they were too busy to quote me a time. they didn't seem rude so much as uninterested

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 11:19:58 AM »
...tru-ivory. I tried them first but they took forever to respond and then suggested I write back in a few months they were too busy to quote me a time. they didn't seem rude so much as uninterested

That's the same impression I got when I wanted to do business with them.   >:(   
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit