Author Topic: Adding Iron Sights?  (Read 1203 times)

Offline triphlx

• Trade Count: (0)
Adding Iron Sights?
« on: October 15, 2012, 05:54:47 PM »
Evening all! I am a long time lurker, first time posting here at GBO.

I have a SB2 frame that I want to fit a .357 Mag barrel to, and eventually ream out to .357 Max. Currently I only have a .270 Win barrel with no irons, and I use optics with this round for Whitetail. I want to use the .357 barrel as a walking around the woods gun, and prefer iron sights for quicker target acquisition. Is there an option to add iron sights to a handi barrel that doesn't have them from the factory?

Thanks for any help you can give! Thanks!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Adding Iron Sights?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 05:59:11 PM »
Welcome! Any gunsmith can drill and tap a barrel for sights, H&R used to charge $47 for sights added to an accessory barrel, but that's been a while.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 06:00:25 PM »
i've silver-soldered sight bases on
toppers that i've chopped, so i would assume
the same could be done on a rifle barrel or
any barrel for that matter.  none
have come off (yet)
i would think that a skilled professional
could fix you right up with whatever
reasonable sights you desire.

good luck
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline triphlx

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 06:09:32 PM »
Thanks guys, I was hopping it would be reasonably simple. Anyone have any suggestions on a quality peep sight setup that plays well with these guns? Just occured to me that peep sights might be more useful than blade and notch style sights. Also looking into the Talo barrels, but I currently know almost nothing about them.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 07:56:05 PM »
Welcome! Glad to have you aboard.

My suggestion is not quite what your looking for, but have you considered putting an inexpensive red dot sight on the .357Mag barrel.  I assume you have a barrel with a scope rail on it.  That's what I did, it's 1x, and target acquisition is super quick. 

The only downside is that unlike the military red dots, the inexpensive red dot (Tasco) that I put on the .357 barrel, doesn't have a pressure on/off switch, nor as great battery life as the military ones.  Sometimes, I forget to shut the red dot off, and it drains the battery.  I solved the problem, by carrying an extra battery with me. 

A bonus is that the Tasco red dot sight comes with scope rings as part of the scope.  The Leupold scope rail fits the mounts, otherwise, you have to file a slot for the mount.  The Tasco red dot comes in two sizes, I picked mine (the one with the smaller optic) up in Wally world, for I believe approx. $30.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 04:08:48 AM »
Thanks guys, I was hopping it would be reasonably simple. Anyone have any suggestions on a quality peep sight setup that plays well with these guns? Just occured to me that peep sights might be more useful than blade and notch style sights. Also looking into the Talo barrels, but I currently know almost nothing about them.

H&R sells the Williams WGRS for under $30 shipped, it mounts in the two rear scope base mount holes as do the Williams FP and FP-TK sights, see Peep and Firesights as well as all the other sight links in the FAQs for more info, also check out Skinner Sights, they're a sponsor here and have their own forum down the index page, they make a real nice peep sight for H&Rs.

Talo Trapper barrels were 18¾" long with sights, rear was WGOS, they're out of production as far as I know, H&R did have some accessory barrels, but I suspect they are long gone, but wouldn't hurt to call and ask, the part number is in the new acc barrels sticky.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,228192.msg1099265152.html#msg1099265152

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 08:18:52 AM »
H&R sells the Williams WGRS for under $30 shipped, it mounts in the two rear scope base mount holes as do the Williams FP and FP-TK sights, see Peep and Firesights as well as all the other sight links in the FAQs for more info, also check out Skinner Sights, they're a sponsor here and have their own forum down the index page, they make a real nice peep sight for H&Rs.

Talo Trapper barrels were 18¾" long with sights, rear was WGOS, they're out of production as far as I know, H&R did have some accessory barrels, but I suspect they are long gone, but wouldn't hurt to call and ask, the part number is in the new acc barrels sticky.

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,228192.msg1099265152.html#msg1099265152

If you get a .357 MAGNUM barrel (to start with) to rechamber to a MAXI, won't that have open sights from the factory?

Regardless, when changing/improving/adding open sights I've found it a challenge to get EXACTLY what I wanted.  But sites like MidwayUSA.com offer plenty of parts and options.

For a front blade or post I'd recommend a 3/32" bead (firesight) versus a smaller diameter.  And Marble's ORANGE sights are a helluva lot brighter than RED William's beads/blades!

When installing such a sight, two parts are needed; the base that attaches to the barrel behind-above the muzzle, and the blade in the correct color/configuration and HEIGHT that dovetails onto that base.

However for a rear peep Williams gets it right with their WGRS peep-sight parts and bases.

Also the 'twilight' rear aperatures (whatever peep-hole size you choose), are nice and faster with their quicker-to-acquire in low light, as they incorporate a brass inner-ring that surrounds the aperature opening.  That part is usually ALL flat black and in low light could be hard to see, but the brass on the rear sight picks up quickly in such conditions.

Of course the suggestion to use a red dot didn't sound too bad!

And even a low powered 2X or 2.5X fixed shotgun scope might be worth a looksee too.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 12:28:50 PM »
If you get a .357 MAGNUM barrel (to start with) to rechamber to a MAXI, won't that have open sights from the factory?

Not unless he can find an older second hand barrel or a Talo Trapper barrel, starting in 2008 357 Mags came on SB1 frames with scope base only, not drilled and tapped for sights even, same for accessory barrels with the exception of the shorter 357mag Talo Trappers which had sights.

Tim

Offline triphlx

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 01:33:17 PM »
Awesome suggestions guys, thanks a bunch! I'll take any other suggestions you guys have, I have some time before I can throw the whole project together.

Offline GEMSTATE

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 04:58:36 PM »

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 03:24:13 AM »
My gunsmith charged $45 to drill a 6-48 hole on a T/C barrel.

I like the Williams FP peep sight with a front firesight for hunting.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 07:42:43 AM »
DB, I hope that gunsmith isnt somebody you call a friend, 'cause charging somebody $45 for that one hole is just wrong.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2012, 04:15:15 PM »
Get on Ebay and pick yourself up a set of sights off a Remington 700. I've bought several sets and had them mounted to my H&R barrels. They fit the contour of the H&R barrels and work perfectly. I've picked up complete sets (front and rear) for $13. ;D

Spanky

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2012, 07:03:14 PM »
Get on Ebay and pick yourself up a set of sights off a Remington 700. I've bought several sets and had them mounted to my H&R barrels. They fit the contour of the H&R barrels and work perfectly. I've picked up complete sets (front and rear) for $13. ;D

Spanky

What Spanky said. :D
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2012, 06:58:15 AM »

Spanky
Great idea and price, if your eyes are up to it.  ;D
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 07:20:16 AM »
DB, I hope that gunsmith isnt somebody you call a friend, 'cause charging somebody $45 for that one hole is just wrong.

It was the 1st time I went to him, I can't imagine it taking more than 15-20 minutes for the whole job if someone is setup for it.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline JB White

• Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 05:18:05 PM »
A lot of 'smiths charge either a one hour or cash amount minimum on anything that hits the bench. Plenty of valid reasons why though. All depends on where you go and who you're dealing with.
 A $45 charge sounds like he's one of those guys.

Offline Couger

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 06:03:19 PM »
Get on Ebay and pick yourself up a set of sights off a Remington 700. I've bought several sets and had them mounted to my H&R barrels. They fit the contour of the H&R barrels and work perfectly. I've picked up complete sets (front and rear) for $13

Most  eggsellent suggestion!  (surprised I'm just now learning this   ;)  )

Great idea and price, if your [older?] eyes are up to it?

If that's the case, then substitute the front blade from that Remington front sight with a Marble's (or William's) blade of your choice!  Either brand usually has a brass or white or [enamel] red or black color to them, unless they are fire [optic] sights.

And as indicated previously, both Marble's and William's offer most of their blades with LARGER 3/32" beads, vs the standard 1/16" beads in whatever color one chooses.

I learned the hardway that William's red fire sight isn't nearly as bright as Marble's ORANGE fire sights.  Both Co's offer fire sights in the GREEN too.

Offline Couger

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 06:12:17 PM »
http://www.nodakspud.com/

I like them.

NODAKSPUD?    DEFINITELY  worth  a  look.    Also  tacsights.com  too.    Tacsights offers a couple front sights that are military-ish in style (with protective rabbit-ears) that use screw-in AR front posts instead the Marble's or William's dovetail or screw-on blades.    Some screw onto a muzzle,  and  some dovetail on.

Offline Ranger99

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 06:24:19 PM »
myself,  i'm not a fan of fiber-optic
sights. i've had them on two rifles
(one a handi) and neither lasted
over a couple of seasons.  prefer
the regular irons with maybe a dab
of white paint on the front blade.

of course, again, tastes/opinions. . . .
18 MINUTES.  . . . . . .

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 03:30:23 PM »
I just scored another Remington front ramp with gold bead and hood on Ebay for 4.99 with free shipping. :)

Spanky