Author Topic: What Next????  (Read 995 times)

Offline .308

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
What Next????
« on: February 10, 2004, 09:30:47 AM »
In complete rifles the .357, and .450 Marlin are 'Gone with the Wind'. So what's next? I don't want to start another rumor by guessing it will be this one or that one. Maybe I'll give them a call, unless one of you guys have already. Well at least all of them are still listed on the barrel program, that's a two month wait and you're without your gun in the mean time. I Wish they'd add a few more to make up for it in the larger bores. Like bring back the .35 Whelen/Remington or the .444 Marlin, or how about a .338-06 or a .30-40 Krag. They'd have folks standing in line to get them. Probably not a good marketing decision.  :(

Offline BIGBOREFAN

• A Real Regular
What Next????
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 09:38:17 AM »
If I had to guess the 44 mag will be next. In march I plan on sending in for a 38-55 target barrel so I might just send in another receiver for a 44 mag barrel.

BBF
LETS GO STEELER'S. BIG BEN JUST KEEPS ON TICKEN. STEELER'S IN JACKSONVILLE THIS YEAR!

Offline .308

• Contributor
What Next????
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 10:01:04 AM »
BBF, I sent you a P/M.  :D

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
What Next????
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 10:08:49 AM »
  I'd second your call the .444 Marlin and the .35 Whelen. I was wondering if these caliber decisions have anything to do with their effect on Marlin's sales? It seems that while the rest of the industry is pushing towards offering pistol calibers in rifles, H+R/NEF is headed the other way. Makes me wonder why.
Don

Offline .308

• Contributor
What Next????
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 10:17:38 AM »
Big Blue, Yeah, they got me wondering, too. :roll:

Offline jgalar

What Next????
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 10:47:48 AM »
Any gun that is chambered in the parent company Marlin's gun is subject to be eliminated. I suspect eventually the NEFs will only be offered in calibers not offered by Marlin. Marlin doesn't want to compete with itself.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
What Next????
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 11:10:21 AM »
Well, the 30-30 and 44mag are no longered offered in synthetic, only in the wood.

I think (hope) that nef is just thinning out the rifles that aren't selling.  The 357 mag decision may have been eliminated because of all the max conversions, but I doubt it.  They probably only want a certain number of bores to drill.  Drop the 35 cal bore, introduce the 20 cal bore - 204 ruger.  

Kind of like when the 7x39 was eliminated and the 17 hrm started.  One bore for another.

The other solo bores are the 44mag and now the 45-70 with the demise of the 450 marlin ultra offering.

I think the 30-30 is safe because the 308 and 30-06 have the same bore size.  The 22 hornet is in the same boat, 223 and 22-250 have the same bore.  The 45-70 is the poster child for big bores and their buffalo classic, so I think it's safe also, atleast for now.

The 44 mag, well, I'll be buying the next one I see.  8)

later,
scruffy
Hunting is 99% brain, 1% gun

Offline hellacatcher

• A Real Regular
What Next????
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2004, 12:32:41 PM »
Scruffy I think you are right just glade I go my 44.
from Tennessee---Paul

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
What Next????
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 04:27:01 AM »
Who knows we are talking about the same guru's that closed the previous site.  I do need to get my reciever sent off in the next couple of months before they tell me a cann't get a 357 barrel anymore :evil:   Quick question for anyone who has sent off for barrels, can I get my 357, 20 gauge ultra, and a 50 cal muzzle barrel all at once or are they going to make me send it back and forth 3 times :?:
I must be crazy.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
What Next????
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 04:31:21 AM »
All at once.  And have them throw in a free trigger job while they're at it.

But before sending it in for all three barrels I'd call and make sure they have all three on hand (I can see them not having the ultra slug).  If they don't have all three your reciever will be sitting there waiting until another run of the missing barrel is done, which could be months....

Months that could be spent reaming a 357 max.  :wink:

later,
scruffy

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
What Next????
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 04:40:11 AM »
:D Thanks.  Yeah that would get me a little grumpy if that happened.  By the way did you get enough snow :?   When all this melts we are going to have one heck of a mess.

I have not heard about the free trigger job.  What's that all about anyway :?:
I must be crazy.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
What Next????
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 04:55:52 AM »
The free trigger job entails them dropping the trigger and polishing everything and putting it back together.  Usually results in a 3 - 3.5lb trigger.  Alot of the new ones come with good triggers so yours might not need one, but if it does, it's free.  Just include free trigger job on your order.

Yea, I got enough snow.  It's already a mess.  That reminds me, a friend of mine is storing his car trailer at my place and needs to use it this weekend.  I think I'll have to use the John Deere tractor and hook up to it and drag it through the snow up to the driveway.  I have many drifts up to my knees (I'm 5'9").  The deer have been so hungry that every night they're been coming up to the house and eating all the acorns from the big oaks.  The last three nights a small herd surrounds the house.  I looked out the window this morning around 6:00am and a couple looked up, said hello, asked when the coffee would be ready, and went back to digging up acorns.....  :roll:

My wifes all upset because they're digging up the yard.  She asked me if I could go shoot them.  NO.....  Where was this snow last December???  I could have woken up, rolled over on the bed to the window, shot a deer while still in bed, and then got up brushed my teeth before going out to field dress the deer....  :roll:

I'm going to try to do a little yote calling on Saturday.  Take the "mini project" out and hunt over at my dads.  Might have to stop by walmart and pick up white XXXXXXXL tee-shirts (preferibly long sleeve) to put over my hunting cloths as a poor mans snow cammo.

You have any plans for this weekend?  Valentines and all, wedding coming up, etc?  

later,
scruffy

Offline 22KHornet

• Avid Poster
What Next????
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2004, 05:41:54 AM »
Both valentines day and then meeting with both  :shock:  sides of the family to try and get things lined up, who wants to do what and so on.  We have been trying for the last three weeks and it looks like we will all finally be able to get togther.  I also saw that they a talking mid 30's on Saturday so it should be nice and slushy for you.  By the way is this your mini project :blaster:   :-D
I must be crazy.

Offline scruffy

• A Real Regular
What Next????
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 05:54:36 AM »
Quote from: 22KHornet
I also saw that they a talking mid 30's on Saturday so it should be nice and slushy for you.  By the way is this your mini project :blaster:   :-D

Yep, that be it, but I don't rapid fire it, to much $$$$.   Well, I don't do it very often anyway.  :wink:

The weather looks great, compared to what we've had anyway.  A low of 28 Friday night, I'll get out there around 6:00am Saturday in a spot that should be perfect for a NW wind of 10 like they are predicting.  I'll have to take a white plastic garbage bag to sit on to keep my back side dry from the melting snow under me.  Hmmm, actually I just thought of another stand location, and another.  Oh, I have my whole morning planned out now!!!

But as you're sitting their with your family's just think of me sitting out on the edge of a draw of timber somewhere calling in a pair of coyotes and say to yourself, "self, next year at this time after this is all over, I'll be out there too."  :wink:

later,
scruffy