Author Topic: Romney: The Boy Scouts should admit homosexuals  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Romney: The Boy Scouts should admit homosexuals
« on: October 19, 2012, 03:13:56 AM »
Since we've recently had many threads about gays in the Boy Scouts let's see where the choice of the "real conservatives" stands on this issue:

http://www.lifesitenews.com/news/romney-the-boy-scouts-should-admit-homosexuals

by Ben Johnson

• Tue Aug 07, 2012 17:07 EST
WASHINGTON, D.C., August 7, 2012, (LifeSiteNews.com) – Mitt Romney stands by a 1994 statement that the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) should admit homosexuals to the organization, as members or adult supervisors, according to a campaign spokesperson. 

During a 1994 debate with Ted Kennedy, Romney said, “I support the right of the Boy Scouts of America to decide what it wants to do on that issue. I feel that all people should be able to participate in the Boy Scouts regardless of their sexual orientation.”

Campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul confirmed that Mitt Romney continues to hold that belief today. 

However, she said Romney, who served as a member of its executive board, has not pressured the organization to change its stance and does not wish to see the Scouts forced to accept homosexuals. LifeSiteNews.com revealed that some chapters of the Boy Scouts do not consider the national organization’s prohibition of homosexuals serving as scouts or adult leaders binding policy.

The statement came just days after Romney refused to lend verbal support to Chick-fil-A in the face of a boycott.

“It is almost as if the governor is going out of his way to de-motivate the conservative base,” said Bryan Fischer, who hosts “Focal Point” on the American Family Radio Talk network. “In fact, if he deliberately set out to dispirit evangelicals and members of the pro-family network, he could hardly do any worse.”

Homosexual organizations seized upon the campaign statement. Zach Wahls, co-founder of Scouts for Equality, an organization dedicated to admitting homosexuals into the Scouts, said in a press release he is “proud to have Governor Romney’s support on this issue amid such a polarized political climate.”

The liberal website ThinkProgress claims the ban is “out-of-step” with “mainstream American values.”   
Fischer said Romney’s position had more serious defects. “Social research has revealed that homosexuals sexually offend against minors at exaggerated rates.”

“In fact, according to research published in the Archives of Sexual Behavior, they are ten times more likely to molest children than heterosexual men,” he said. “Gov. Romney’s position, if adopted by the BSA, would put the sexual innocence of untold numbers of young boys at risk.”

The move carries political implications for a candidate struggling to attract his party’s base.

“If the Democratic Party is going to take a stand for homosexual marriage and the Republican Party wont stand up for traditional marriage, then they’re abdicating their role in the culture war,” said former Reagan adviser Pat Buchanan. He added in time, if left unchecked, “people are going to walk away from the party.”
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Romney: The Boy Scouts should admit homosexuals
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 04:39:58 AM »
no need to get upset about this.......it's just another one of those little things, like supporting abortion, and stomping on 2A rights....no big deal ok?
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:16:44 AM »
no need to get upset about this.......it's just another one of those little things, like supporting abortion, and stomping on 2A rights....no big deal ok?

Cuts, would you care to take a guess at the excuses the "real conservatives" will make on this one?

Up until this point it has always been "Romney has changed his ways". Well, here is full admission from Romney that he hasn't changed his ways and STILL supports homosexuals in the Boy Scouts.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 08:39:14 AM »

care to take a guess at the excuses the "real conservatives" will make on this one?

Up until this point it has always been "Romney has changed his ways". Well, here is full admission from Romney that he hasn't changed his ways and STILL supports homosexuals in the Boy Scouts.

I guess I'm one of  those "real conservatives" you were talking about.
So here's my take on what Romney said.
(( Romney doesn't think  queers should lose any of their rights.,,,,but Romney also thinks the BSA  should have the right to decide what requirements there are to be a member of the BSA.))
It's called politics.
Romney knows the BSA doesn't want queers in,, but if they decide to let them in ,then it is the BSA's right to do that too.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 08:50:45 AM »
(( Romney doesn't think  queers should lose any of their rights.,,,,but Romney also thinks the BSA  should have the right to decide what requirements there are to be a member of the BSA.))
It's called politics.
Romney knows the BSA doesn't want queers in,, but if they decide to let them in ,then it is the BSA's right to do that too.

Did you miss the part where Romney states that he believes that ALL PEOPLE SHOULD BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE BOY SCOUTS REGARDLESS OF THEIR SEXUAL ORIENTATION? It seems pretty cut and dry to me. I'm constantly amazed at the amount of excuses people make for this guy. If Obama said this exact same thing people here would be all over him.

During a 1994 debate with Ted Kennedy, Romney said, “I support the right of the Boy Scouts of America to decide what it wants to do on that issue. I feel that all people should be able to participate in the Boy Scouts regardless of their sexual orientation.

Campaign spokeswoman Andrea Saul confirmed that Mitt Romney continues to hold that belief today. 

Offline Anna

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 08:52:57 AM »
LOL , I can just imagine the newest merit patch the BSA will have to come up with for this one !
Something between a rump roast,  and the Lone Ranger ? 
I'm sorry , Anna do not even go there !  ;D ;D ;D

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 09:06:23 AM »
It's called politics.

Did you miss the part where Romney states that he believes that ALL PEOPLE SHOULD BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE BOY SCOUTS REGARDLESS OF THEIR SEXUAL ORIENTATION? It seems pretty cut and dry to me. I'm constantly amazed at the amount of excuses people make for this guy. If Obama said this exact same thing people here would be all over him.

(((((( Romney said, “I support the right of the Boy Scouts of America to decide what it wants to do on that issue.))))))

Read it again real slow.
Romney said the BSA should have the right say who does and who doesn't get in.
Like I said ,It's politics.

Offline Anna

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2012, 09:42:21 AM »
The real chore in November is to make sure that Congress is in the right hands this time around.
And Powderman , we also need to think about the Supreme Court. 
Take one look at the appointees that Barry has placed on that court and ask yourself if you want more of that going on ?

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 01:06:41 PM »
Read it again real slow.

Right, we know that it's politics. You already said that twice. You keep ignoring the other half of his statement which is not politics but has to do with his core belief that he just reiterated . Instead of making excuses for Romney (just like I predicted) tell us your thoughts on this particular Romney statement:

ALL PEOPLE SHOULD BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE BOY SCOUTS REGARDLESS OF THEIR SEXUAL ORIENTATION

Please don't turn this into a lesser of two evils thread, I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts on Romney's belief that gays should be allowed in the Boy Scouts. It's a FACT so let's hear what you think about it.

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 01:35:42 PM »
Read it again real slow.

Right, we know that it's politics. You already said that twice. You keep ignoring the other half of his statement which is not politics but has to do with his core belief that he just reiterated . Instead of making excuses for Romney (just like I predicted) tell us your thoughts on this particular Romney statement:

ALL PEOPLE SHOULD BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE BOY SCOUTS REGARDLESS OF THEIR SEXUAL ORIENTATION

Please don't turn this into a lesser of two evils thread, I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts on Romney's belief that gays should be allowed in the Boy Scouts. It's a FACT so let's hear what you think about it.

Well seeing as how Romney is against gay marriage I'd say that he was sticking up for the BSA right to let in who they want .
And I'll say it again.He was playing politics.
Just like you are now.
You are trying to show Romney as a supporter of gays.
So we should just throw Romney under the bus and vote for someone that is a known queer?
Romney was way down on my picks for president ,but  at least he's on the list.
If I had the choice to vote for ( obama ) or  (other ), and we would not know who the "other" was until after the election.
I would vote for "other" with out a second thought!

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 02:12:39 PM »
I would vote for Mitt if he were a homosexual.  I hate BHO.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Cuts Crooked

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 02:34:08 PM »
Lemme see iffin I 'cn help y'all out here:

Romney has stated: "ALL PEOPLE SHOULD BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE BOY SCOUTS REGARDLESS OF THEIR SEXUAL ORIENTATION"

Sounds pretty much like he thinks homo's should be allowed to be Scouts...possibly even pedophiles..who knows? After all it is a politician speaking. ;)

He also states: I support the right of the Boy Scouts of America to decide what it wants to do on that issue."

Which seems to indicate that while he thinks homo's should be included, it's up to the Boy Scouts of America to decide what they want to do.

So......on the one hand he is supportive of homo's in scouting, while on the other hand he thinks it's the Scouts right to decide to exclude them..........THE ULTIMATE IN POLITICING!

"I stand firmly on both sides of the issue!"
Smokeless is only a passing fad!

"The liar who charms and disarms and wreaths himself in artifice is too agreeable to be called a demon. So we adopt the word "candidate"." Brooke McEldowney

"When a dog has bitten ten kids I have trouble believing he would make a good childs companion just because he now claims he is a good dog and doesn't bite. How's that for a "parable"?"....ME

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 03:08:10 PM »
I support the right of the Boy Scouts of America to decide what it wants to do on that issue."

As do I....I support choice......it's the American way.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 03:34:00 PM »
Well seeing as how Romney is against gay marriage I'd say that he was sticking up for the BSA right to let in who they want .
And I'll say it again.He was playing politics.
Just like you are now.
You are trying to show Romney as a supporter of gays.
So we should just throw Romney under the bus and vote for someone that is a known queer?
Romney was way down on my picks for president ,but  at least he's on the list.
If I had the choice to vote for ( obama ) or  (other ), and we would not know who the "other" was until after the election.
I would vote for "other" with out a second thought!

I see that you still have yet to acknowledge the other half of Romney's statement - ALL PEOPLE SHOULD BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE BOY SCOUTS REGARDLESS OF THEIR SEXUAL ORIENTATION

When all else fails answer with the old lesser of two evils line, it keeps you from having to address the fact that you're supporting a man who thinks gays should be in the Boy Scouts.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 03:37:00 PM »
I'm supporting anyone that can beat BHO.

Offline Anna

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 03:45:16 PM »

So am I , even if it were the town drunk , even that would have to be better than the village idiot .

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 04:29:41 PM »
If you vote tossers would spend more time fighting against hussein as you do trashing the only man running who can beat him, America would be far better off.  Help America, not hussein, vote for Romney.  POWDERMAN.  >:( >:(

So you're saying that I, as a Cub Scout den leader should vote for someone who openly supports allowing gays in the Scouting program?

Offline m-g Willy

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 04:30:01 PM »

I see that you still have yet to acknowledge the other half of Romney's statement - ALL PEOPLE SHOULD BE ABLE TO PARTICIPATE IN THE BOY SCOUTS REGARDLESS OF THEIR SEXUAL ORIENTATION

When all else fails answer with the old lesser of two evils line, it keeps you from having to address the fact that you're supporting a man who thinks gays should be in the Boy Scouts.

I see you are still playing politics.
With your thinking we can also conclude that Romney thinks people that have sex with animals , or  sex with the dead as well as child molestors and all the other perversions should be scouts.
Your grasping at straws ............

If you don't like Romney ,don't vote for him.
You can always vote for your queer obama.

Offline Anna

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 04:40:16 PM »
Well Cuts , we could always get the Village People to sing YMCA at Romneys inauguration wearing
boy scout uniforms ! Change the words around a little bit to BSOA .

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 04:41:26 PM »
Don't acknowledge the question, keep bringing up the lesser of two evils instead. That way you never have to admit to supporting a candidate who openly supports gays in the Boy Scouts.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 04:49:59 PM »
It looks like GLAAD (Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) thinks highly of both candidate's position on gays in the Boy Scouts:

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 03:02:21 AM »

So am I , even if it were the town drunk , even that would have to be better than the village idiot .

Amen!  I fully support anyone who can put Barry on the curb.

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 06:19:09 AM »

Amen!  I fully support anyone who can put Barry on the curb.

I agree.  And to tell the truth, I couldn't care less what either of them think about the boy scouts. We have much bigger fish to fry.  Those that dig up comments from 1994 are a lost cause imo...
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline justme

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 06:42:51 AM »
The libs here are absolutely brilliant when it comes to fallacy of composition! What don't you get? Romney has merely stated that in HIS opinion, gays should be allowed in the boy scouts. He also is very aware that HIS OPINION has no bearing (as it shouldn't) on the policies of the boy scout organization. If he said; "I like spaghetti", does that mean Romney will put in place, by executive order (no, wait, that might be the other guy...), a policy that states: All Americans must eat spaghetti? When libs whine that Romney "hasn't stated exactly what programs would be cut to save money", do you not understand that the president does not make the policy?(oh, wait, that other guy did) He merely puts the subject line at the top of the page and our other elected officials hammer out the rest in a bi-partisan manner. The dems are grasping at the littlest of straws to avoid dealing with the greater matters at hand. But, I realize the playbook is quite specific; Blame Bush, deflect, misdirect, name call, cheat, etc....What you guys should REALLY be wondering is how the debt will affect these boy scouts in the future! I'll bet even the gayest of boy scouts will be chapped!

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 06:49:12 AM »
Read it again real slow.

I think all scout masters who participate in boy scouts must be heterosexual.  There can be no compromise on this issue.  If boys who join are gay, they will learn in boy scouts to be straight. If they don't like it, then they can go join the girl scouts. 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline justme

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 06:53:37 AM »
Lovely opinion, but still the decision lies with the boy scout organization and if it doesn't suit you, don't participate. Or, start you own program...

Offline powderman

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 06:58:45 AM »
I think all scout masters who participate in boy scouts must be heterosexual.  There can be no compromise on this issue.  If boys who join are gay, they will learn in boy scouts to be straight. If they don't like it, then they can go join the girl scouts. 

Hairy. Agreed Sir. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 07:00:16 AM »
Lovely opinion, but still the decision lies with the boy scout organization and if it doesn't suit you, don't participate. Or, start you own program...

That's correct.  If you don't want to join a homosexual fraternity, then that applies also. 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.

Offline justme

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 07:05:06 AM »
I do not indeed! And if the boy scouts became like glee, I would not participate..

Offline Hairy Chest

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 07:14:26 AM »

Hairy. Agreed Sir. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D

There has to be a standard.  Boy means man, not queer.