Author Topic: Vortex Scopes  (Read 1329 times)

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
Vortex Scopes
« on: October 19, 2012, 03:41:40 AM »
Has anyone had any experience with this company? I've been reading a lot of possitive reviews about them lately and was considering one with a little higher power for my 300 RUM, when I realized that they are made here in Wisconsin! They are just outside of Madison so I stopped by their show room yesterday and looked at a few that I was desiding between.  Nice glass and a lot of cool features for the price.  Since Optics Planet now as a 10% discount on everything I ordered a Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP.  Thankfully it was in stock, a lot of their scopes are on back order as they cannot keep up with demand. Unlimited lifetime transferable warranty to boot, so can't go wrong.  Looking forward to mounting this sucker.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-ffp-riflescope.html
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline curteric

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Vortex Scopes
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 06:12:12 AM »
Buckskin
I won a Vortex Razor Red Dot, from Cameraland a while back. If the quality of their optics are equal to my Red Dot you made a good choice. I have my Red Dot on a Contender carbine in 357 max and love it. The next time I'm in the market for any optics I'm calling Cameraland, in fact my youngest daughter is getting married to an Irishman, in Belfast, in April. I'm thinking of a new camera before then.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 12:00:44 AM »
ive got 2 of the redots, a 3x crossfire crossbow scope and a 2x7 viper and all were an excellent bang for the buck. Id check with camera land before you buy though as there prices are usually hard to beat.
blue lives matter

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 01:39:07 AM »
I did check with Camera Land, Optics Planet was $100 cheaper with their 10% discount.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline jjas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 06:32:01 AM »
I had two Vortex Crossfire 3-9x40 scopes......I have one mounted on a .22 rifle and another was mounted on a .357 magnum handi-rifle.
The one on the .22 is fine, the one the handi-rifle wouldn't hold zero.  I was getting ready to switch the scope for a different one to see if it was the issue but on the last shot the lens assembly broke loose.  I had only had the scope for a month or so, so I took it back to my lgs and they gave me my money back on it.
The bad one I had was likely a fluke as I've never heard of anyone else having this type of problem. 

Having said that, I put a new Nikon prostaff on the .357.................

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 07:05:39 AM »
We'll see I guess, crossfire is the entry level scope of their line so I wouldn't expect too much from a $150 scope anyway and wouldn't put it on much more than a 22LR.  Although they do have their unlimited lifetime warranty even on the Crossfire, so can't loose there I guess.  Shouldn't fall apart though.
Buckskin

Offline jjas

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 04:20:12 PM »
We'll see I guess, crossfire is the entry level scope of their line so I wouldn't expect too much from a $150 scope anyway and wouldn't put it on much more than a 22LR.  Although they do have their unlimited lifetime warranty even on the Crossfire, so can't loose there I guess.  Shouldn't fall apart though.

A couple of points....
1.  I've had $150.00 scopes on slug guns and muzzleloaders (which generate a whole lot more recoil than a .357 mag rifle) from Nikon and Redfield that held up just fine.  The crossfire scope was rated for muzzleloader and slug gun use by the manufacturer and it failed.  That's why there is a new Nikon prostaff on the rifle now.
2.  Warranties are fine, but a month old scope on a .357 mag rifle shouldn't have fallen apart.  As I said earlier, I'll give Vortex the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a fluke.  And if it was going to fail, I'm glad it happened @ the range and not in the woods.

Does any of this mean I wouldn't buy a Vortex scope in the future?  It gives me pause, but I learned long ago to never say never...........

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 08:53:41 AM »
I wouldn't judge a company as a whole based on the cheapest line of scopes that they sell.  They're made to a price point and at that price point a lifetime warranty is essentially unheard of.  I can attest to the fact that their turnaround on warranty work is fantastic as well.  I had a spotting scope with a speck of dust on the prism and it was in their hands for one day in which time the scope was cleaned, inspected, re-purged and back on its way to me.  I currently own 4 Vortex products and have been impressed enough that I have a 5th on order.

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 10:24:53 AM »
Well....here's "a guy from the other side of the table."  :o   The beginning of this year(2012) I bot a Vortex Viper PST Rifle Scope 30mm 6-24x 50mm SF SFP ILL EBR-1 MOA Reticle Matte. I mounted it on my Savage single shot heavy barreled in 6.5x55 Swede caliber. It's a fine scope, but "seems" a little on the fussy side when handled a bit rough. (Yeah....we could discuss that all day long)

OTOH, I just ordered...and it will not be in until this week, a Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x 30mm side focus target with a varmint hunters reticle. My "plan" is to mount this scope on my Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine in .223. The scope will be mounted on a .20 MOA base.

So....why the Leupold?  Because I currently own 4...and that's after I sold 2 (one handgun and one VX-II) My Leupold's have always been quality and have always (with the exception of the low-end Rifleman) held their zero.  Once I get the VX-3 mounted and fire it for about a month, I can post some comparisons and my thoughts on the two.

Dave

Offline crsteven61

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2012, 07:24:06 AM »
I have a viper 4X9X40 on a 375 H&H with 90 rounds through it.  Still holds zero fine and seems as bright as my old Leupold.  Just shot it Sunday 16 times in a big bore match. 

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2012, 07:52:01 AM »
Well....here's "a guy from the other side of the table."  :o   The beginning of this year(2012) I bot a Vortex Viper PST Rifle Scope 30mm 6-24x 50mm SF SFP ILL EBR-1 MOA Reticle Matte. I mounted it on my Savage single shot heavy barreled in 6.5x55 Swede caliber. It's a fine scope, but "seems" a little on the fussy side when handled a bit rough. (Yeah....we could discuss that all day long)

OTOH, I just ordered...and it will not be in until this week, a Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x 30mm side focus target with a varmint hunters reticle. My "plan" is to mount this scope on my Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine in .223. The scope will be mounted on a .20 MOA base.

So....why the Leupold?  Because I currently own 4...and that's after I sold 2 (one handgun and one VX-II) My Leupold's have always been quality and have always (with the exception of the low-end Rifleman) held their zero.  Once I get the VX-3 mounted and fire it for about a month, I can post some comparisons and my thoughts on the two.

Dave

I have several Leo's VX-3's also, so I will definately give a side by side. Worst case, I can sell it for more than I paid for it if the Vortex doesn't pan out. On a side note, Leupold doesn't make a VX-3 8.5-25x 30mm... They do make a 8.5-25x50 though. Hope your not looking for a low profile scope.
Buckskin

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 09:51:43 AM »
 ;) I have one on a semi target .300..so far I like it very much, shot some target, and carried it a couple times mulie hunting for watching mt side.. but I haven't used it all that much..It will get use in a mth. for another long range spot I hunt in Nov...

Offline txpitdog

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 10:39:08 AM »
I have a Viper 2x7x32, and it has been an absolutely awesome purchase. It first went on my Ruger Hawkeye 30-06 and helped kill 4 deer and a hog at ranges out to 175yds.  I then moved it from the '06 to my 375 Ruger Hawkeye, and used it to kill 2 nilgai.   Again, fantastic performance, and not the slightest bit of zero walk even on a heavy kicker. It is noticeably brighter than my Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40 and is right in line with my Nikon Monarch UCC 3x9x40 and Leupold FXIII 6x42. 

I also have a 6.5-20x44 PA Viper on my 338-378Wby Accumark.  I haven't really tested it, but it is built like a brick shxthouse and seems to be very bright and clear.  I have no concerns as to whether it can hold up to the recoil. 

As for where to buy I would recommend SWFA or Cameraland.  I have read nothing but horror stories about Optics Planet and their lack of customer service.  So much so that folks have said they've cancelled orders and then wouldn't honor the same price after the product was reordered if the coupon expired or sale ended.

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 03:52:38 PM »
After reading good things about  Vortex I stumbled across a deal on a 2-7 Viper  with the Versa-plex reticule. I am really impressed with the glass but haven't mounted it yet so can't speak to the mechanics of it. I'm not much of a gambler so I think I would steer clear of the Crossfire series. I have the itch for a new varmint scope and might be tempted to give a higher magnification  Viper a whirl or possibly a Sightron Sll Big Sky, but then again as always Leupold seems to be the safe bet.

Offline brayh92

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 07:07:09 AM »
i just ordered a 2-7 viper for a marlin .30-30 i recently got on trade after seeing what you guys had to say im happier about my decision
Handi's: .45-70 Govt, .22-250, Pardner 16 GA, Topper 58 20 Ga shorty, Pardner 410 GA

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2012, 03:55:58 AM »
And the 2-7 Viper on my Marlin 308MX accounted for a NICE southern NM mulie on Tuesday.

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 07:00:55 AM »
Do u happen to have the versa-plex reticle on your 2-7?

Offline Davemuzz

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 06:10:33 AM »
On a side note, Leupold doesn't make a VX-3 8.5-25x 30mm... They do make a 8.5-25x50 though. Hope your not looking for a low profile scope.

Buckskin,

I need to "proof-read" my technical data before I hit the enter button. Or maybe not sip on my "special drinks" when I post? Nah...proof reading maybe. Or, just let you guys do my proof-reading.  :o   Yeah, my Leupold is the VX-3 8.5-25X 50MM. I got the 30MM as this is the tube diameter. Not the "standard" 1" tube.

I also ordered a Karsten's Custom "B" cheek piece so I can have my cheek sit against the cheek weld instead of my jaw.   ;)

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 03:34:01 AM »
Do u happen to have the versa-plex reticle on your 2-7?
I've got their ballistic reticule in mine.