Author Topic: New Buffalo Classic questions.  (Read 782 times)

Offline Buster95

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
New Buffalo Classic questions.
« on: October 20, 2012, 05:02:42 AM »
I just received my new BC and I have some questions, first is it normal to have a very small gap between breech end of the barrel and the action face I can see daylight through, I can slide a piece of ordinary paper between the barrel and the breech but not two, the gap is a little wider at the top. Second the forend screw seems off center  I'm not sure if this is normal (see pic). The quality of the rifle is not the best but better than anticipated (I have read some negative comments about "new" handi rifles), I had to remove a small burr between the receiver and the plastic spacer, some light cold blue touch up but the rest of the rifle is very acceptable.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: New Buffalo Classic questions.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 05:10:09 AM »
The gap isn't good, slam it shut a few times and see if it closes up, new H&Rs are notorius for being stiff when new and not closing easily, this is covered in the Handi Basics sticky. If the barrel isn't fitted properly which can cause the gap, it may need to be repaired, there's a Canadian service facility listed on the H&R repair webpage if it needs it, you can also fix it yourself using the barrel fitting info in the FAQs, a few strokes on the chamber face with a stone or file will get it locked up perfect, you'd want to check latch engagement of course, also be aware it may pop open if it's not fitted properly, surprising and scary, but not dangerous. Off center forend studs are common unfortunately, there's a fix in the FAQs if you want to do it yourself.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 05:52:02 AM »
That gap is a shame, a paper thickness (but, which paper, it varies a LOT) can be OK to pretty wide. Try a thin strip of alum. beverage can at the hinge pin; the typical .002-.003 thickness of those should make a nice fit. It will hold up for a surprisingly long time too and is easily and cheaply replaced. Once you really know which thickness for sure you can go to an annealed piece of a 'feeler gauge' if you feel like you must.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 06:36:20 AM »
As gcrank suggested, shimming will fix a loose barrel, but the gap can also be caused by the action not closing completely or an uneven barrel face which is very common, remove the forend while the action is locked up,  and see if the barrel and action are tight, or if any looseness of the barrel can be detected, if loose it needs to be repaired or the barrel replaced depending on the cause of the problem. I've bought lots of new H&Rs, I've never found a loose barrel, but several weren't locking up completely and only took a minor "adjustment" to lock up like a bank vault.  ;)

Tim

Offline Buster95

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 09:33:20 AM »
Tim I removed the forend and the barrel and action are very tight. I've slammed the rifle a couple of time and the gap is now smaller. Hope I will not have any problem to fit the steel spacer.

Thanks alot.

Jean

Offline sidewinder319

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 10:09:35 AM »
Just make sure you wear shooting glasses when you fire a rifle in that condition. You should check  with a shim to see just how much head space the rifle has. It could blow a cartridge head or primer. ???

Offline Buster95

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 11:53:48 AM »
Just make sure you wear shooting glasses when you fire a rifle in that condition. You should check  with a shim to see just how much head space the rifle has. It could blow a cartridge head or primer. ???

The rifle is brand new and the gap is now very very small.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 12:01:45 PM »
Sounds like you are on the right track, get the barrel to standing breech fit good then fit the forearm/spacer and go have some fun shootin'! Its a pretty satisfying caliber.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 12:17:40 PM »
Buster,

Verify that the latch, latch shelf, receiver breech face and the breech end of the barrel are clean and dry - no oil.  A small bit of anything on these areas can prevent the gun from closing completely.  Also, common to Handis is the over-tight foreend fit which will contribute to the problem of fully closing your gun.

BB

RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Buster95

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 06:07:03 AM »
I just checked the gap with a .003 feeler gauge and I can't insert it between the breech and the barrel, that's not too bad I think?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 06:50:18 AM »
As described in the barrel fitting info, close the action on the blade and try to remove it, start with .001" and work up until it can't be removed, that will give you the best measurement of the actual gap. It will also be tighter towards the firing pin/bottom of the chamber face.

Tim