Author Topic: .223 Bullet for deer  (Read 1782 times)

Offline tomtomz

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
  • Loaded for Bear!
    • Liberty!
Re: .223 Bullet for deer
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2012, 01:00:15 PM »
Excellent points. Since I'm the landowner, I get to clean up the cripples if the darn coyotes don't.
Few things are as upsetting to me to as finding a 12 point buck which the hunter shot in the butt
and didn't bother tracking it.

Either way, bring the RIGHT gun. Don't use your slug gun out West.

My brother has what I believe to be a Sharps 50/90 which he uses for long shots
using a Tang site, and brings in a big buck every year.  He knows what to do with his
weapon of choice - albeit not mine.

Mostly I hunt while checking cattle, and know where they are because they are always
in the canyons after a night of feeding on leftover alfalfa.

I'm developing a 30/378 load using 80 gn AMAX .224 sabots. I'm having fun using
Retumbo.   The bullet groups are good once the sabot loading process is mastered.
This might be a good 500 yard shooter for deer. Recoil is manageable.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2012, 01:12:58 PM »
We've put a stop on small caliber weapons on our land for deer.
Too many cripples left and not enough clean kills with AR rifles.
Hunting with a bolt rifle and a good scope is what we allow.

We have Mule deer approaching 300 pounds. Typically long shots across a canyon, etc.
A 257 Roberts is the smallest rifle that will produce a clean kill, in our collective experience.

The demands of Western deer hunting may differ from other areas.

Bring enough gun, I say.

If you've got guys crippling deer on your land it ain't the guns fault... it's the guy pulling the trigger.  ;)  A bad shot is a bad shot whether it's with a 22 or a 300 mag.

Spanky

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2012, 01:20:29 PM »
The Winchester 64 grain PSP is a good deer bullet.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2012, 01:53:30 PM »
I found some 55 gr. interlocks today, the only big game type bullet my supplier had on hand.  Since I'm planning to go next weekend, I will work up a load with these this week, and carry my 357 revolver as well.  50 yds. or less, I will use the revolver.  Another month or so, I hope I can go to the 357 max. Handi.

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies.  I've always shunned the 223 for deer, but I will see just what it will do this year.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2012, 03:46:53 PM »
Twice now I have been in situations where I thought I was going to have to see what a 60gr Nosler partition would do to a Grizzly.  I was out removing Beaver from the overflow channels at the Flood Project, which I do on a regular basis, I'm out there tow or three times a week.  Can't always carry a Bear gun.  I like to use the .223 Ballistic tips or 17 HMR.  Back of the head shot does the trick, with little or no damage tyo the pelt.  I always have a couple of 60gr Nosler loads in my pocket.  On two separate occasions I have had Grizzlies get between me and my truck.  Once I had the crosshairs holding an inch below his eye, and my finger on the trigger.  Both times they turned and walked into the woods.  I don't want to do that, but if I have to I will.     
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline cudatruck

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012, 04:33:45 PM »
Hey mechanic, sorry i waited so long to reply to this! there is a website called  bulletsamples.com. you can order just a few bullets to test if your rifle likes em. i used their service on my 7mm. good experience with them.

Offline tomtomz

• Avid Poster
  • Loaded for Bear!
    • Liberty!
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012, 09:38:32 PM »
If you've got guys crippling deer on your land it ain't the guns fault... it's the guy pulling the trigger.  ;)  A bad shot is a bad shot whether it's with a 22 or a 300 mag.

Spanky
Agreed.  The last group were shooting ARs, taking poor shots
at big deer.

Dressed in their new Cabelas blaze camo.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2012, 01:28:39 AM »
Hey mechanic, sorry i waited so long to reply to this! there is a website called  bulletsamples.com. you can order just a few bullets to test if your rifle likes em. i used their service on my 7mm. good experience with them.

Thats a great site.  Thanks!

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2012, 04:05:01 AM »
Maybe a little late to the party, with my suggestion.  My friend and I used a Remington 55grain SP (off the shelf factory loading), the recoil was light, and most importantly, the deer DRT.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2012, 05:32:37 AM »
My bullet of choice for the 222's, 222MAG and 223's has been the Speer TNT 50's since they came along.   Yeah I know what your thinking... a varmint bullet.    But they do give exceptional terminal performance, they are very flat shooting for positive shot placement AND they exert impressive hydrostaic shock to the animal that more than makes up for their size/weight and disruption.   Have I shot a deer with them?  No, a .224 is not legal where I hunted mule deer.   But I have shot lots of coyotes, a mountain lion, a couple of ADC antelope at longish ranges and put down a horse with one.   With shot placement they'd handle a deer just fine IMO, and with their great accuracy shot placement wouldn't be hard.   Way more than the 22RF's so many mule deer were shot with on the family ranch when I was a kid growing up.
Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline vacek

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
  • Philippians Chapter 2
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2012, 01:56:24 PM »
I have heard that the .223 in Nosler Partition was just awesome.

Offline tomtomz

• Avid Poster
  • Loaded for Bear!
    • Liberty!
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2012, 03:31:39 PM »
I have heard that the .223 in Nosler Partition was just awesome.

The 30 Caliber partitions are awesome.  I've never considered it for my 22-250s in .224 until now.