Author Topic: Anyone shoot the .35 Whelen  (Read 825 times)

Offline northkid

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
  • A Real Regular
Anyone shoot the .35 Whelen
« on: October 20, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »
Just picked up a barrel to add to the collection.
Anyone have a .35 Whelen an how ya like it.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Anyone shoot the .35 Whelen
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 05:25:35 PM »
If you can get it to go bang every time it'll kill anything in North America... or just about anywhere else for that matter. :) 

Spanky

Offline northkid

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 06:40:18 PM »
If you can get it to go bang every time it'll kill anything in North America... or just about anywhere else for that matter. :) 

Spanky
They don't go bang all the time? ??? I hope it goes off when I pull the tricker. ;D

Offline Wagguy80

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 06:53:19 PM »
Well there's about a zillion threads on the problem (I'm exaggerating of course but there are a bunch all over the interweb). 

The upshot is the problem has been identified, doesn't exist in all rifles, and there are known solutions.

Offline abolt-fan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 07:16:00 PM »
Yep.  Two Encores and two Handi rifles.  I use 200 gr. Hornady SP for deer hunting and 225 gr. Barnes TSX for bigger stuff.  Thinking about having a new Tikka T3 rebored to 35 Whelen.

My brother's Encore would occasionally not fire.  A heavier hammer spring fixed the problem.

Short answer, love the caliber.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 03:14:49 AM »
Our's are excellent shooters and they fire every time you pull it.
I guess sum got it an sum don't. 8)
sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline jimbobb55

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 03:47:34 AM »
My 35 Whelen is my favorite handi. Once I got my reloading head space right it shoots every time.

Offline Hunter6657

• Trade Count: (62)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 04:06:21 AM »
When I was shooting mine, I had no failures to fire and this on a 2010 frame that H&R had issued the service notice on. It was of an issue with the transfer bar in recievers manufactured between March and  September of 2010.
i used 270 brass to make the 35 whelen brass because its a little longer than '06 brass and once expanded it comes to within a couple of thousands of the factory length.
I necked sized to almost the base of the neck being careful not to bump the shoulder back and they worked fine.
Hornady Superperformance ammo worked evry time as well.
I had heard the remington ammo sometimes gave problems due to soft brass in the shoulder area giving a bit when the firing pin struck. the Hornady ammo was $30 a box vs. $45 for the Remington and I didn't want to pay the difference to see if remington had rectified the problem. The Remington ammo was milder than the Hornady as well.
Now I have acquired a 35Rem rifle manufactured during the same time frame as my other rifle and it was subject to the recall as well. i fired it yesterday to sight it in and it worked fine with no misfires. The original owner had never even put the barrel on the frame and used it as a 444 only..
I would think the 35Rem version would have had more problems anyways since the shoulder is even less than the 35 whelen.
I had misfire problems with a Marlin 35 that was cured by putting a small washer on the hammer spring.
God created man, Col. Colt made him equal.

Offline bucmeister

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 05:50:14 AM »
I have been following this issue since MS first started allowing 35 caliber primitive weapons because of how many postings there were on the various forums in the state.  Some have been corrected by stronger hammer springs.  I guess the bottom line is that it is a "perfect storm" kind of problem. 

I am in no way a gunsmith nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night but my interpretations of the various threads I have read on the issue are below:

First both the 35Whelen and 35Rem are rimless cartridges and they head space on the shoulder which is small in both rounds, a weak point.

Second is shoulder angle: Whelen 17.5 degrees Rem 23.25 degrees and shallow angle could lead to more "slip and slide" forward under the pressure of the firing pin strike which I believe would make the Whelen more likely of the two to suffer a FTF all other factors being the same.

Third is the chamber cutting tolerances of the gun makers.  The SAAMI specifications for a given round most likely has a +/- 0.00xxx range for acceptable and mass produced barrels probably vary chamber to chamber within those tolerances.  If true and you happen get a barrel that was cut on the minimum (tight) end of the specs then I believe you are much less likely to have a FTF whereas if your chamber is on the upper (loose) end of the specs I believe it increases the potential of the FTF issue.

Fourth is that the ammunition companies that must size factory brass to fit all potential chambers.  If you are cursed with a loose chamber and shooting factory ammo then the potential for a FTF is higher than if you are blessed with a tight chamber.

The idea of chamber size came to light from posts about people not having FTF problems with Encore 35Whelen barrels made by aftermarket suppliers.  The contention was that those suppliers tended to more carefully cut their chambers to the bare minimum side of the SAAMI range and did not seem to suffer the FTF problems.  Believe I read on one page on the Mike Bellm site that he cuts his chambers under the SAAMI minimum.  He also touts Match Grade Machine for quality and precision of their TC barrels.  To bad we can't get that kind of caring precision from the factory, it would make the Handi's truly worth what they are charging and might even be worth a modest price bump. 

Like I said this is just my opinion, I am not a gun smith, nor a machinist, but I do believe the problem results from the sloppy "as long as it is within acceptable tolerances" attitude of many companies these days.  Kind of a "take two aspirins and call me in the morning" approach.

Offline bucmeister

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 06:04:57 AM »
This is a macro of the chamber in my 35Rem Handi.  There appears to be a ring in the machining just about where what I call the ramp area of the rifling ends and the full rifling begins.  Got a sneaky feeling that is not a best case scenario.  Maybe shooting it some will wear it down.  One of the members on Mississippi Outdoors Forums that is an amateur gunsmith has offered his lathe help in reaming my Handi from 35Rem to 356Win so I will be looking forward to getting his input on this ring.

Offline northkid

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 06:05:37 AM »
 ??? ???  I was thinking it was gona be a great round. The 35W seems like a great all around NA game cartridge, I have read where even the Encore had some troubles with it in the past. In the bolt rifles not so much of a problem. I thinking I will have a great shooting rifle when all done an said that goes bang every time I pull the tricker. ;D ;D

Offline bucmeister

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 06:42:32 AM »
It is said to be a war horse round for sure.  Have read several posts wherein the author refers to it as an unbelted magnum.  Knowing that many want more thump for elk it would seem to be the ticket for that critter when pushing a 225gr pill or for lighter bullet a 200gr Barnes TSX .  I suspect that when considering the larger diameter it would be a hammer. 

Offline gendoc

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 06:48:08 AM »
??? ???  I was thinking it was gona be a great round. The 35W seems like a great all around NA game cartridge, I have read where even the Encore had some troubles with it in the past. In the bolt rifles not so much of a problem. I thinking I will have a great shooting rifle when all done an said that goes bang every time I pull the tricker. ;D ;D

hey kid,
with your handload'n technique, you can whip that problem.. if there happens to be one
with yours.  and you got plenty folks here that can assist you if needed.
you know where ta holler................ ;D

sea-ya.....

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

Offline northkid

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 10:09:04 AM »

hey kid,
with your handload'n technique, you can whip that problem.. if there happens to be one
Doc,

Thank you very much. I may have to listen to the Doc if I have that problems. Doc orders.. ;D . I love the 45-70 in the Handi, I am hopin I'll love the .35 Whelen. ;D I'm thinking of getting 310gr tips for it.. ;D

Offline gendoc

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 10:25:08 AM »

hey kid,
Doc,

Thank you very much. I may have to listen to the Doc if I have that problems. Doc orders.. ;D . I love the 45-70 in the Handi, I am hopin I'll love the .35 Whelen. ;D I'm thinking of getting 310gr tips for it.. ;D

kid, don't thank i can tellya much bout tha 310gr..... :o
but i shur-nuff steer ya positive with tha speer 225gr btsp #2850
i bet ya can make tha 310 singa tune !!! we gotcha back.....yeah  ;)
sea-ya.....

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 11:57:04 AM »
The .35 Whelen is one of the most versatile cartridges made.  Load mild with Trail Boss and pistol bullets for teaching the kids or Grand kids to shoot.  The load heavy to near .338Win Mag ballistics for taking the Big Bears of Alaska or any thing else in North America.  My Dad killed a Moose with on shot from my .35 Whelen.  Using the 225gr Nosler Partition.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline abolt-fan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 04:56:28 AM »
Between myself and family or friends we've taken deer, hogs, black bear and moose with our 35 Whelens using bullets from 200-250 grs.  It simply works.

Offline nanuk-O-dah-Nort

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 08:25:11 PM »
I'm looking at getting a couple 35W for my hunting buddy and me.

I have a varmint rifle, a Bush Gun, and need the do all long ranger....  and the 35W has everything the 30-06 has, and then some!

I have a 9.3x62 in a b.. b.. boolll..   er..  another rifle, and it is a Hammer also.   

I wish H&R would bring out a 9.3x62 in the handi, as reboring up here costs more than 2 new rifles