Author Topic: Over Tightened Ring Screws  (Read 550 times)

Offline Jay HHI6818

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Over Tightened Ring Screws
« on: October 20, 2012, 06:04:05 PM »
 Bought a used scope that seller advertized, very light ring marks! When it arrived I used Flitz to remove the slight ring marks which it did. I used a 2x2 cleaning patch with some Flitz on it and turned the scope 3-4 revolutions  and discover dents in the scope tube at 3 & 9 o'clock.  My guess is the scope rings were over tightened to cause these dents.  Any thoughts on how this might affect the scopes performance?

Offline wmdron

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Over Tightened Ring Screws
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 12:28:59 AM »
If it were me I would try to return the scope and get my money back, after all dents are a little more than "light ring marks". That being said I have heard of scopes that have been damaged still holding zero and working fine. You could try it out before you make a decision. Still, I would first try to return it . It's possible that it would work ok for a time and then go south when you least want that to happen. I am not sure if any scope company would honor a warranty on a dented scope.

Offline Savage .250

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 02:49:58 AM »
You can return it as suggested.

Or....mount it and see how it does.

Or... as you didn`t say what kind it was or how much you paid for it............ Throw it in a draw and start over.

Or... in the future remember--------check on a return policy.   
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."

Offline Jay HHI6818

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 08:40:42 AM »
Scope is a Burris 3x12 pistol scope. Today I measured the scope tube. Top to bottom (12 & 6 o'clock) 1.000 inches side to side (3 & 9 o'clock) .990 inches. I emailed the seller and asked what kind of rings he used and explained the dents and asked for a refund. I even said I would pay return shipping. I believe the seller when he said he did notice and dents. Unless you held your fingers on the tube it and turned it you would not know the dents were there.  Here is his reply

Weaver Quad locks, the scope worked perfectly and I never noticed any dents but most scope tubes will have a slight pressure ring left from rings once they are tightened down,

Offline helotaxi

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 08:47:23 AM »
most scope tubes will have a slight pressure ring left from rings once they are tightened down,
Only if you use lousy rings or install them wrong.  Those Weavers are notorious for crushing scope tubes.  I'm actually amazed that they're still on the market.  Good rings, properly installed, will not mar or mark a scope tube in the slightest.