Author Topic: Hundreds of Dahlgrens in one place-photo I've never seen before  (Read 804 times)

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
Hundreds of Dahlgrens in one place-photo I've never seen before
« on: October 21, 2012, 06:20:16 AM »
Here's a great stereoview of the Charlestown Navy Yard (Boston, MA) back when, with what looks like hundreds of 9-inch? Dahlgren guns lined up in the gun park.  I've never seen this photo before, somehow.  Since it won't be posted where it is in about a month, you may want to download it (click for larger photo, right click then "save as.")

http://www.ebay.com/itm/c-1875-Stereoview-Hundreds-of-Union-Cannon-Charlestown-Navy-Yard-/261114150967?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item3ccb9dc037

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
Re: Hundreds of Dahlgrens in one place-photo I've never seen before
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 10:44:14 AM »
Wonder where they all went. That is a lot of Cannons.

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 11:18:10 AM »
Wonder where they all went. That is a lot of Cannons.

They went into making airplanes during the scrap drives of the world wars.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 01:57:53 PM »
They didn't know to put a powder can in the photo for scale back then......  ::)
More likely they gave their metal for liberty ships.......
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline cannonmn

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 02:21:06 PM »
Most of those guns were sold off as surplus in the 1890's.  Some were donated to various GAR posts in the Northeast.  National Archives record group 74, Entry 122 consists of dozens of thick volumes of disposition reports for all naval stations which had inventories of cannons.  I photographed selected pages a couple of years ago.  Here's one showing where some of the iron guns at Boston went-sold to a Mr. McKenna.  The bronze guns were largely sent to the Naval Gun Factory in Washington where they were melted down to make other things, but a few were loaned or donated to GAR posts.  Each gun disposed of by the Navy was recorded by type, metal, and all markings, where it was located, and where it went, in this large group of volumes.  I  have to say that it was a sad thing to see, those detailed lists of hundreds and hundreds of Dahlgren boat howitzers of all sizes, all headed to Washington to be melted down.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/cannonmn/miscforumsetc/Forums59/Disp%20of%20Naval%20Guns%20RG74E122/IMG_7601.jpg

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 07:19:52 PM »
Thanks, I haven't seen this one before either.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline bluelake

• Avid Poster
    • 1871 US Military Action in Korea
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 04:57:28 PM »
Several are in my hometown area of northern lower Michigan.  One off the Hartford is in my hometown's main park--I loved playing on it as a kid. 

Offline onegreatshot

• keep their heads down til help arrives
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
  • Proud owner of 3 brooks USA cannons, look'g 4 more
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2012, 07:14:14 PM »
Thanks for the display of the manifest. Those guns were big, well over 16,000 lbs. Must of help build a lot of other war products.