Author Topic: Why the Handi over the Encore  (Read 1034 times)

Offline northkid

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
  • A Real Regular
Why the Handi over the Encore
« on: October 22, 2012, 05:33:57 AM »
Sayin they are both single shots, why did ya pick the Handi over the Encore.
With the Encore you just switch barrel an no fitting an with the Handi
some fitting may be required.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Why the Handi over the Encore
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 05:37:05 AM »
Sayin they are both single shots, why did ya pick the Handi over the Encore.
With the Encore you just switch barrel an no fitting an with the Handi
some fitting may be required.

For me the answer is simple... COST!!  I could have 3-4 (Used) or 1-2 (new) H&Rs for the cost of one ENCORE.

As for fitting, I have almost 30 H&R's I have NEVER seen one that I could not fit. More often than not, they dropped on one of my frames. The once that did need to be fit, it was not a big deal.

I have seen BOTH rifles shot good groups. I have also seen BOTH shoot like  shotgun...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline northkid

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 05:53:38 AM »
I don't care much for the TC rifle grip the thumbhole are good.
Anyone carry the thumbhole stocks for the handi.

Offline scandmx5

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 05:57:57 AM »
I almost got an Encore, but heard too much about folks not getting them to group well. It seems more people get the Handi's to group well though.  Cost was/is a factor me and I have decided I want a Handi Ultra-Hunter.  I do, however, like the longer barrels of the Encore's...they just look good.

Offline redleg11b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 06:50:59 AM »
Cost and I don't need a hangun in those type of calibers (I've had one and a couple Contenders).  Used rifle barrels are about twice the cost of a used Handi barrel or near the cost of an entire new Handi if you shop around for a deal.  I liked my T/C's, but am in a much different spot financially now.  That being said, the only plus side I see to them now is a nicer looking finish and grain in the stocks.  I prefer the stock style of the T/C, though some find it hideous.  I made my Savage 93 into a pistol grip and love the way it feels.  It is kinda ugly though being a home fashion job with limited abilities and resources.

In all, if you want more factory options, go T/C.  If all you want/need is a hunting firearm that is reliable in effective calibers, the Handi will not disapoint...at half the cost.  I plan on always having at least one in the hunting battery.

Boyd's has thumbhole stocks for the Handi.
H&R: .223, 20ga, .357, Sportster LR
Cricket LR

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 12:36:40 PM »
Accuracy.

Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2012, 12:56:23 PM »
easy answer.... 6 grand yung'uns an maybe room for more !!!!!!!!!!!! :o
all have there fav handi, even tha lil'uns that ain't gotta clue whata handi is ;)

BTDT witha t/c in every flavor... not impressed with tha cost -vs- accuracy. all gone now.

j2 hasa few, but they ain't seen light ina decade i bet.

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2012, 01:23:09 PM »
Left handed.  And TC has a funny grip feel.  Caught the Handi bug so I'm a convert.  More shooters for way less money also.  Way easier to have dedicated frames for most of my barrels.

If I was gonna do costly single shots it would be Rugers or Winchesters.

Might do a TC if I REALLY needed a backpack rifle.  I'd bite the bullet and get a 7-30  Waters carbine barrel, and some aftermarket stock.

Big bore and 'money is no object' would be a take down Marlin.

JMHO...

Anything goes.... would be this..!
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2012, 01:38:45 PM »
You get the same accuracy for less than 1/2 the price.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 01:40:24 PM »
I used to buy Handi's because they were cheap... they're not cheap anymore. :-\ 

Spanky

Offline bucmeister

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 02:19:21 PM »
Considering how simple they are there is definitely some question in my mind as to why they have gone up so much in price when there are some decent bolt actions on the market at a competitive price point.  Wonder if it mostly a reaction to the demand partly because of the increased sales caused by the metallic cartridge primitive weapons seasons that many of the southern states have adopted?   They have sold the dog out of them here in MS, first the 45-70 then the 35 Whelen when they lowered the caliber to .35, which LA also has enacted.  Sure do wish they were still in the $199-$239 range.  As long as I am wishing, it would be nice if they offered them in more variety of rounds. 

Offline geartow

• Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2012, 02:53:35 PM »
Availability , they are everywhere!!!!!!! Have only seen 1 used TC

Blow a Crow, Drop a Yote!!

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 06:09:50 PM »
Handi's have the best forum. ;)

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 07:21:02 PM »
I own nine rifles and three shotguns.  All are accurate.  I also own two TCRs, Two Contenders, and one Encore..

The Encore makes a great muzzle loader.  The 30-06 barrel is adaquite for close work.  I got rid of the .338 Win Mag barrel, the 7MM Mag barrel, the 243, 22-250, and the 416 Rigby.  None except the 30-06 would shoot smaller than a three inch group at 100 yards.  I won't use the 30-06 beyond 300 yards, my groups jump out to 9" at 400.   Without ejectors I just did not want to mess with it.  I understand you can change the hinge pin and improve accuracy, but I had already gotten rid of my extra barrels.  It no longer holds an allure for me.  I'll continue to shoot my TCRs, and my Handis 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 07:44:11 PM »

BB

^^^
This  ;D
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline Wagguy80

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2012, 08:18:06 PM »
Price.  Not only are Handi's cheaper, but the barrel exchange factory barrel program is about 1/3 the cost per barrel.

Right now it's only a .444 but I plan on adding at least a .223 barrel for plinking and varmit hunting.

I've heard a lot of different prices, and they do vary a lot.  Mine was $288 including tax with wood furniture.  Closest thing I found was a 1 week special on CVA Scout in .35 whelen however no barrel exchange, and potential hazards with that caliber steered me away.  Although it was a very nice rifle all around.

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 01:38:11 AM »
#1   Cost
#2   Handi fits better for us left handed shooters
#3   I dont like the looks of a Encore, They just dont look like a rifle that was designed to be a rifle.
  Jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 01:49:48 AM »
Uncomfortable.  Butt ugly.  Expensive.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline redleg11b

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 05:15:39 AM »
+1 on the expensive single shot of choice being a falling block.  Those Rugers and High/Low-walls are purty and strong.
H&R: .223, 20ga, .357, Sportster LR
Cricket LR

Offline Singlebarrel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 05:49:09 AM »
I enjoy my older Handy Rifles.  Quality control is so bad now with H & R I refuse to buy another one.  When Louisiana changed the law to allow the 35 Whelen for primative weapon season I purchased a TC.  My son has one and loves it.  I love mine, too.  Shot great out of the box and the Pro-Hunter stock does a really good job reducing felt recoil.   
I did not have to spend a hundred dollars worth of ammo to break in the barrel.  I did not have to put washers under the forearm.  I did not have to send two guns back and go through 4 barrels and still get no satisfaction for the hundreds of rounds I put through them trying to get them to group.  I did not have to sell barrels (under full disclosure) because I could not get them to group. 
With the TC it was no mess, no fuss, no bother.  Open the box, sight it in and go hunting.  That is the way a rifle is supposed to work. 
My older Handy Rifles to me are priceless.  But, as they say, I fear the bloom is off the rose.

Offline Rodland

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 10:59:02 AM »

BB

What BB said, then cost, then looks. Ain't no way to make a T/C look like it came from the 1800s'
My remember'er is broke, but my forgetter is getting better.

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 04:46:39 PM »
I started with fiveTC that allowed me to turn them into 13 Handis and its all been good since. Both rifles have the same inherent problems they arn't the perfect no problem guns soms clame them tio be. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"