Author Topic: SNS Cast Bullets for 45 Colt.....anyone ever try these?  (Read 805 times)

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
SNS Cast Bullets for 45 Colt.....anyone ever try these?
« on: October 22, 2012, 05:43:29 AM »
Has anyone ever tried SNS Cast bullets for their 45 Colt revolver or carbine loads?  I picked up a box some time ago but have been skeptical about using them.  They appear to be nicely cast bullets and of the hardness I typically shoot but the lube groove is half the width of the standard 250 grain RNFP bullets most casters sell.  (Lazercast, Misouri Bullet Co., and others)  In the photos of their web site, the lube looks pretty standard but when I had them in hand and compared to other cast bullets the lube band is very narrow.  I'm afraid that there might not be enough lube on these bullets for the loads I shoot but then again, it may be fine in a revolver but not a carbine.  ??? 
So, I thought I'd post the question to see if anyone has ever tried these bullets.  Any thoughts or comments are much appreciated.

By the way, here is SNS's web page for their cast bullets:

http://shop.snscasting.com/

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
Re: SNS Cast Bullets for 45 Colt.....anyone ever try these?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 12:12:54 PM »
If your worried about the lube holding up in the longer barrels , you may try giving them a splash of loquid alox just to add a extra level of protection , personaly I'd not be too worried about it , the harder lubes that most com. casters use is some mighty tuff stuff .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Blackhawker

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 02:58:23 AM »
If your worried about the lube holding up in the longer barrels , you may try giving them a splash of loquid alox just to add a extra level of protection , personaly I'd not be too worried about it , the harder lubes that most com. casters use is some mighty tuff stuff .

stimpy

Funny, I gave thought to the alox as well.  You're probably right about the hardness of the lube.  The stuff on these is definitely the harder formulation.
Thanks for the thoughts.

I guess the only way to truly know is to get out there and give em a try.  I hope to do that in the next couple of weeks.

Offline Hairy Chest

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 02:00:02 PM »
You can add lube to the crimp groove.  That looks like LBT Blue.  LBT's rifle bullets have a small lube groove. 
Study after study has shown how dangerous distracted driving is yet people continue to talk on their cell phones while driving. Driving in the U.S. requires your full attention. Many states and countries have made it illegal to use a cell phone while operating a motor vehicle and the federal government should follow their lead. Banning the use of cell phones while driving would have the added benefit of making the no-texting law enforceable.