Author Topic: I Guess I Am Crazy  (Read 807 times)

Offline MePlat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
I Guess I Am Crazy
« on: October 22, 2012, 08:05:10 PM »
I hope I am forgiven by graybeard and his Moderators for a simple rant.
It's more of a question than a rant though.
On the thread "Primer Failure" what is wrong with us?
We shoot for years and something as simple as a primer failing to go off and we get  wop sided and go ape over it.
Sure it can cost us a trophy or even our life.
BUT,  how many things that man has anything to do with in any aspect would you say is perfect?
I don't know of a single thing and I am more than a few years old.
The author of that post said he had been reloading for 10 years and this is his first one.
Well halleleujah I  would say that is something to be happy over.  i bet ones vehicle hasn't been that trouble free or his microwave oven or his anything else one could name has been that trouble free.
But it was a catasrophic failure to fire of one primer in 10 years of reloading.

Now my question:  What is wrong with all of us?  Have we actually gotten to the point that we accept certain things as imperfect while at the same time we think others should be perfect?

Remember Man,  the imperfect being,  made the things we buy and use in our everyday life.
If this is offensive to anyone I hope it is moved or deleted but I actually did not mean it as such.
Just actually wondering if we ALL aren't going crazy nowadays.
You Know Me.  I Don't Have a Clue

Offline carlsflh

• Trade Count: (3)
Re: I Guess I Am Crazy
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 06:12:35 AM »
quote:Now my question:  What is wrong with all of us?  Have we actually gotten to the point that we accept certain things as imperfect while at the same time we think others should be perfect?:   i think you hit the nail on the head .it seems that soceity in general has goten to this point, i don't think your post is out of line .it's posts like yours that make us sit back and think and not take things for granted 

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 07:45:55 AM »
Very odd post, I guess crazy is as crazy does.. I think you're being a little over dramatic while singling out my post... I don't recall stating anything about a catastrophic failure or even feeling a little wop sided... I believe my words were "I'm not thrilled about it". Trust me, I didn't lose on wink of sleep over my primer failure.  But in my opinion if you reload, you should strive for perfection. At least I do when I reload. If you're fine with most of your rounds going bang, good for you.  I will strive for all of them going bang and hitting where my crosshairs are.  And if one doesn't I would like to know why and try and prevent it from happening again. If you want to read something deeper into that go right ahead.  I think that maybe it's not me that you're concerned about but yourself, which explains the subject line.

By the way, my microwave has been running for over 12 years without a hickup, just the way I like it... Trucks been pretty good too, although it's only 3 years old.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline MePlat

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 08:35:54 AM »
Oh I like good ammo and I also like for my rounds to go off but in 42 years of reloading I have come to accept the fact that nothing is perfect and that is the way it is.  Whether I like it or anyone else likes it.
But it is what it is.  I have the knowlege that I have had very,  very few failures to fire due to either me or the components
Now  on the other hand I want to know if it is something i did but if it wasn't so what. 
Nothing is perfect.

You Know Me.  I Don't Have a Clue

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 08:50:52 AM »
Well since I never said that I haven't accepted the fact that nothing is perfect. And since you seem to agree with me that you would like to know the reason for a primer failure I have come to the only conclusion that makes any sense.

And that is that I will have to agree with you, that you are in fact crazy... ::)
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 10:53:02 AM »
Yep...we guess you am crazy too MePlat.  And that is stated with the most sincere intention of easing the tension.

Buckskin,  I didn't read the OP that spun off this thread, but you might be being a bit over sensitive here.  I woulda never suspected the OP of this thread was pointing to a post by you...you let that cat outta the bag by admission. 

Time Out both of you.  Let it cool down.  Take a deep breath.  Then go back to being friendly.  Find some common ground.  NONE OF THIS is worth the stress...

I am OUTTA HERE...

Sign me MODERATED...

Offline twoshooter

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Remember the Starfish......
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 01:40:16 PM »
Everyone gets their fur ruffled occasionally, no harm, no foul. We could all use a little more patience. Anytime you think someone here may be a bit abrupt, just wander over to the political forums  ??? :o ??? :o :o :( ::) :P >:(   We are really pretty mild. Except for some of the rimless guys........( troll troll :-* ) ;D
1000 years ago Men KNEW the Earth was the center of the Universe.....500 years ago Men KNEW the world was flat....... 15 minutes ago you KNEW man was alone in the universe.... Just IMAGINE what we will know tomorrow !! "K"- from Men in Black.

Offline theratdog

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 12:15:58 AM »
your not crazy maybe a little  touchy some thing you can't fix like i can't fix my car anymore my son does it he is a g.m. mechanic.it ticks me off when i get the bill though have great day bud sit back and have beer i do. ;)

Offline 1armoured

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 08:45:48 AM »
Crazy is as Crazy does !
(Sounds good, anyway !  :) )

Fortunately, we're all different, (and all probably imperfect)
and different scenarios wind us up a bit differently.

Spelling, grammar, and text speak used to get me going,
but I think I've mellowed a bit by now to accept our differences.

The odd failed primer has never bothered me, but then didn't cost me anything other than a bit of exercise pulling the bullet kinetically !

cheers,
SS

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 09:17:22 AM »
In about 50 years of reloading I've seen a lot of oops! wrong bullets in the new unopened box, no flash hole in the case and wrong size flash holes! my way of doing things lowers the chance of MY making a mistake. This does nothing to prevent the other guy from giving me a problem though. I have to ASSUME the primers I inspected are made correctly. I inspect the brass cases BEFORE I prime them . Check them for correct powder level, THEN seat the bullets to the correct depth.Even as perfect as I am ,there is still the problem of getting ALL those bullets into the same hole in the target. It's gotta be the Gremlins at work!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 01:15:50 AM »
ive had prime failures from every manufacture. Ive had factory ammo that failed to fire and a good many 22lrs that failed to fire. If you havent seen these kinds of things you just havent shot enough!
blue lives matter

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 01:49:24 AM »
ive had prime failures from every manufacture. Ive had factory ammo that failed to fire and a good many 22lrs that failed to fire. If you havent seen these kinds of things you just havent shot enough!

Yep, and on the flip side, I've had stuff, like 30 year old powder that you would think would be a problem, go bang every time with great consistency.  Sometime what surprises us is a good thing.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)