Author Topic: Need 45/410 info...  (Read 598 times)

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Need 45/410 info...
« on: October 23, 2012, 05:02:02 PM »
I'm reloading for my 45/410 Handi and want to use 460 S&W brass to get closer to the rifling. I KNOW the 460 would blow my gun in half so I need to keep pressures at 45LC levels. I'm using 250gr. XTP's (cast bullets lead my bore badly) and want to stick with them. I know I can use Trailboss powder to keep pressure low but is there any other powders that would work well at low pressure? Keep in mind I'm only using 460 brass not load data... I'm just using the longer brass to get closer to the rifling.
Thanks for any info.

Spanky

Offline theratdog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Need 45/410 info...
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 12:21:29 AM »
TRAILBOSS  ;)

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 01:43:25 AM »
Spanky

You may want to look at either Unique or Titegroup , both are listed for both the 45LC and the 460 , just stick with Colt data , the longer case should not be an issue with either powder .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 12:36:49 PM »
Thanks guys I appreciate the info. :)

Spanky

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 12:59:21 PM »
Unique, Trailboss and possibly IMR PB if you can find 45 LC data for that with 250 XTP's. I'd also try 300 grain bullets since they are longer and will get you even closer to the rifling. My favorite is the 300 grain Sierra JSP.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 04:00:38 PM »
Unique, Trailboss and possibly IMR PB if you can find 45 LC data for that with 250 XTP's. I'd also try 300 grain bullets since they are longer and will get you even closer to the rifling. My favorite is the 300 grain Sierra JSP.

I've heard alot of good things about the 300gr. Sierra. I'll pick up a box and give them a try too. Thanks very much for the help.

Spanky

Offline Squib

• G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 08:03:43 AM »
I would try pb... I was gonna do so for my governor pistol till I realized that I'd have to be more meticulous making accurate loads for that than a rifle, and quit trying.

I have done 2400 behind the sierra 300gr for my boss' colt anaconda before.  we got good results at 30yds offhand, probably would have been great out of a rifle.  I don't think you need to worry too much about powder sensitivity with such a heavy bullet.... that powder has to burn to move that bullet/bullet won't move till the powder is burning good.  not to say "hotrod" it but I think you can push a handi hard in 45 colt, up towards 40k anyways.  that's what some really nasty loads do in 45-70.  I wouldn't go TO 40k intentionally to start, but I'd feel comfortable with 30k or so to start if your latch looks good and tight. 

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 11:08:30 AM »
I would try pb... I was gonna do so for my governor pistol till I realized that I'd have to be more meticulous making accurate loads for that than a rifle, and quit trying.

I have done 2400 behind the sierra 300gr for my boss' colt anaconda before.  we got good results at 30yds offhand, probably would have been great out of a rifle.  I don't think you need to worry too much about powder sensitivity with such a heavy bullet.... that powder has to burn to move that bullet/bullet won't move till the powder is burning good.  not to say "hotrod" it but I think you can push a handi hard in 45 colt, up towards 40k anyways.  that's what some really nasty loads do in 45-70.  I wouldn't go TO 40k intentionally to start, but I'd feel comfortable with 30k or so to start if your latch looks good and tight. 

Thanks Squib. I'm using standard 45LC load info listed at 14K. It's a 45/410 barrel so I don't want to push it too much.

Spanky

Offline Squib

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 04:24:28 PM »
any news now spanky?  at least tell us bullets considered...

as for the .410 compatibility making a difference on hotter rounds, I don't know.  you shouldn't have an accuracy problem since your rim would be locked down and the case head flush with the reciever.  My plus p just swole the brass a bit without any real performance gains.  without a tight enough chamber to keep that pressure going down the barrel it won't do much... but you don't have a cylinder gap and endshake to deal with.  it's my understanding that a handi won't blow before a revolver would, so why fear a ruger blackhawk/redhawk load?  that brass will swell really easy starting in the high 20,000's.  if that's too much swelling, you'll crack brass before getting over thirty, thirty thousand is a lot for an unsupported case!  28,000 is supposed to be what cor-bon USED to aim for (basing that off a 32,000 dangerzone), and that was because blackhawk cylinders in .45 colt were THIN.  you're using a thick chamber/barrel....  I don't see why you cannot achieve AT LEAST 20,000 easily.  As for whether or not you'll get an accurate "let-off" from the case mouth crimp IF you're swelling brass, I'd be careful.  Hand-chamfer those mouths really good every time you load them (I like to chamfer, lube and crimp hard).  I'd also be weary of lead bullets for this reason, the inconsistent let off from the casemouth could gaul one side of the bullet and throw off the rifling engagement (or throw shavings from a revolver). 

IS YOUR CHAMBER TERRIBLY LOOSE?  While .410 compatible chambers are very loose, think of how often you actually have tight chambers to benefit from with a .45 Colt only weapon... none of mine were ever that tight.

be sure your sb2 reciever is g-t-g, keep that latch dry, and I don't know what else can go wrong. 

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 02:46:46 PM »
It's not an SB2 frame... it's a factory gun so it's got the shotgun frame.

Spanky

Offline Squib

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 05:19:29 PM »
oh, that does change things.  I figured you were using a buffalo carbine or something similiar (those come in .45 colt and .45-70).  I really don't know what the limit is on an iron frame, I guess you're right to be afraid to go hot, I would be.

all i've done with regular pressure 45 colt is Win 231 pushing a hornady 185gr xtp, I went up to 10grs (going off a limit of 8.1-8.2 for a 200gr xtp) and remington and federal primers.  after going "over pressure" (don't know if it really was due to the case swelling up a bit, therefore keeping the actual peak pressure down) the rounds really didn't seem any more powerful, powder burn still sucked, just had more effort resizing the cases after.  I don't think you'll gain much at all until going to a hot enough load to "take the slack out" of the case, so just keep it as light as possible with that loose .410 chamber.... you could fireform cases to fit your chamber better and just resize the mouth enough to hold the bullets securely but that seems like a real pain.. didn't work for me too well on my revolver.  you'll defititely get a grainy side or two in doing so, possibly split the cases.  mine didn't split, but I wasn't TRYING to fireform them up either, bet they would have if I did.  you'll need to bump them up over a couple firings at least if you try.  guess that's all I got except to emphasize YOU CAN DO A BIT BETTER BECAUSE IT'S A SINGLE SHOT AND HAS LESS VARIABLES. 

did you pick a bullet yet?