Author Topic: topper JR .410  (Read 1148 times)

Offline beerbelly

• Trade Count: (6)
topper JR .410
« on: October 24, 2012, 10:55:22 AM »
I have one that is in pretty fare shape except the firing pin is broken. Is this something I can repair at home or is it a send to factory repair? The thing don't look like it was meant to be taken apart. Any help will be appreciated.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: topper JR .410
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 11:19:22 AM »
It's probably not the firing pin, but rather the transfer bar that is broken.  There are schematics in the FAQ's that show the breakdown procedure.  If you are mechanical you can do it.  You will need some small pin punch's, and you will need to make a "dummy" or slave pin for the trigger group.

If you're lucky, you can find a transfer bar at Numrich gun parts, or Brownell gun parts.

Or, you can send it to H&R for repair.

When you press the trigger, there is a small bar that should come up and cover the firing pin, so that the hammer will strike it.  You can, with the hammer back, push the firing pin forward to check it.  I suggest it's the transfer bar, because that happens frequently, the firing pin not so often.

Good luck!

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline beerbelly

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 12:22:05 PM »
Thanks Ben. I will go to the FAQ and take a look.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 04:37:23 PM »
Look for Perklo's article for "trigger work" in the FAQ's , all the directions for disassembly are the there.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline beerbelly

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 02:36:45 AM »
Thanks a million oldschool! I could never get the FAQ to work but I searched Perklo's  on the net and he has a web page and I found the info and it is a great tutoral. Now If I can find the right parts I think I will have this old girl shooting again.
               Thanks again.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 04:43:10 AM »
Thanks a million oldschool! I could never get the FAQ to work but I searched Perklo's  on the net and he has a web page and I found the info and it is a great tutoral. Now If I can find the right parts I think I will have this old girl shooting again.
               Thanks again.
Always love it when an "older gal" (gun) returns to the party.  They were made to dance (hunt).  Good luck and let us know how you made out.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline beerbelly

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 11:38:48 AM »
Well I have it down and taken apart. the bar that struck the firing pin is broke . That I can replace but the firing pin is also broke and it don't want to come out. It looks as if once the retaining pin is removed it would just come out but it will not! May be buggered up and need some force to knock it out ,but I don't want to go that way until I know.

Offline beerbelly

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 04:31:48 AM »
Well I finally got it back together and fired it this morning! it took so long because the spring that fits in the front of the trigger guard took flight and I could not find it's landing place and had to order a new one. :-[  In the long run I likely could have had it done cheaper but this was much more satisfying! Thanks again to oldschool and Mechanic.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 04:45:36 AM »
The next one will be easier.  I can assemble one in a few minutes now!

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)