Author Topic: Faster powder for 18" 6.5 Creedmoor  (Read 306 times)

Offline ibgp3

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
  • Recovering after nearly 40 years of PTSD
Faster powder for 18" 6.5 Creedmoor
« on: October 25, 2012, 05:10:36 AM »
Shooting 308 rifle loads out of a 15" XP taught me to look for a faster powder for short barrels. The concussion grenade effect that comes with powder burning after it leaves the barrel is not only a waste, it is punishing on the shooter and his neighbors.

My new 18" barreled CMR comes home from the gunsmith this week. The fastest powder that I have found a load in so far is 4198.

If any one has data for a faster powder, I would appreciate the input.

Offline helotaxi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Faster powder for 18" 6.5 Creedmoor
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 04:37:15 AM »
The muzzle blast from a short barrel has nothing to do with powder still burning, and by going with a faster powder in a shorter barrel, you're giving up velocity.  The pressure curve for the bullet/cartridge combo is determined within the first 3 inches of barrel.  After that all you have is the residual pressure curve.  The shallower the decline of the residual pressure after the pressure peak, the higher the resultant velocity, regardless of barrel length. 

What you're looking for in a powder/bullet/cartridge combination to achieve best velocity is a burn rate that reaches peak pressure with the highest charge weight possible.  That will produce the most gas volume and sustain the highest pressure for the longest duration.  If the powder is too slow, you run out of case capacity before you reach peak pressure.  If the powder is too fast, you hit peak pressure with too small a charge to generate sufficient gas to maintain pressure.  Declining pressure means decreasing bullet acceleration.  With an optimum combination, there will still be fairly high pressure behind the bullet when it leaves the barrel in a short barrel and that pressure is what creates the muzzle blast, but it will give you higher velocity than a combination where the pressure has already dropped significantly.