Author Topic: Alternatives to Period Leupold Detacho Scope Rings?  (Read 432 times)

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
Alternatives to Period Leupold Detacho Scope Rings?
« on: October 26, 2012, 04:49:27 AM »
I am not at all knowledgeable about optics and mounting systems, which will be apparent in this post. Virtually all of my shooting and hunting is done under 200yds and the "best" glass I have on a rifle is a Nikon Prostaff BDC 3x9. So, please be tolerant of my ignorance and speak to me as an optics neophyte.

I just picked up a time-warp M49 Persian Mauser Sporter which was accurately described as "put together by Bubba's older and wiser cousin, Buck, @ 1964". I love this type of period rifle and it is a great match to my M94 Swedish Mauser carbine sporter in Bishop stock, similarly a' la cousin Buck.

The rifle came with a Bushnell Scope Chief IV 2.5 - 8 attached. Granted, 50 year old technology, but it is in keeping with the rifle, is still in good working order and has the cool "command post reticle". I would like to keep it. The mounting system is also period. Leupold "Detacho" rings, mounted to unidentified mounts. I have never seen mounts like these. I will call them "rail" mounts in my ignorance in that they are smooth unlike Picatiny or Weaver mounts that have slots.

The problem is that with the geometry of the rings, mounts and rifle, the tightening levers cannot be made tight enough to secure the scope to the mounts and retain after fire. They become loose after every shot and, after 3 shots, if not tightened, the scope will fall off. Now, I stated I know nothing about optics, but I do know that ain't good.

So, I would like your suggestions on, preferably period correct but not necessarily, scope rings with screw or hex fastners that will work with these mounts. Your help much appreciated. Sorry for photo quality - looks like my phonecam lens could use a clean!

[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]

Offline GatCat

• Trade Count: (25)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Alternatives to Period Leupold Detacho Scope Rings?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 08:22:52 PM »
If the bases are Leupold "detacho", there are no other rings that will mount to them, so far as I know. The photo's are a bit blurry for me to make out clearly. One thing you might try, are the raised portion of the bases facing towards the rear?? If so, perhaps reverse them...so the ridge is towards the front. In recoil, I think the rifle comes backward, which in effect forces the scope forward. Withe the ridge being to the front, it should stop the rings from sliding....maybe...
If it were me, I think I would get a simple set of weaver bases, and a set of simple weaver rings. They've been around forever, so are period correct, and very low cost. Get that Mauser shooting !!
Mark

Offline RPRNY

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Alternatives to Period Leupold Detacho Scope Rings?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 05:50:15 AM »
Mark,

Thanks, you were correct. I did turn the front base around so that the ridge was in front and became captive. I was also, with some extensive soaking, able to remove the screw heads on the claw levers and realign them so that they would tighten more effectively. Has been working fine. Thanks though.
[spoof]The Handi-Rifle is a highly matrixed, vintage tactical shooting platform allowing operators high interchangeability, extended caliber diversity, and a wide choice of range related optical solutions suited to the demands of their tactical operating environments.  ;) [/spoof]