Author Topic: I searched the DEC site but I must have missed it..  (Read 961 times)

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
I searched the DEC site but I must have missed it..
« on: October 26, 2012, 06:19:24 AM »
  I want to go to my woods for final sighting in with my hunting rifles.  What are the rules concerning having centerfire rifles in the woods during archery season?  I'm thinking that since predator season is open , a centerfire rifle must be OK for the field.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline LanceR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: I searched the DEC site but I must have missed it..
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 01:17:05 PM »
I just called an ECO buddy (here in Cayuga County) to see if my recollections are correct and here's what he said.

It is illegal to have any firearm while bow hunting.

The legal wording pertaining to your question is that it is illegal to have a centerfire rifle afield in any open season in a shotgun only area.  He also said that if it were him and someone was target shooting he wouldn't see that as "afield".

If you are not in a shotgun only area you are good to go.

If you have the printed 2012-2013 hunting and trapping guide it has the phone numbers for the conservation officers listed by county if you want to hear it from the horse's mouth.  If you don't have the printed guide go to the DEC site and enter "ECO phone" in the search box and it will pop up a list of ECOs by region.

Good luck

Lance

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 02:50:27 PM »
   Thanks Lance;    The range is in my woods, down an old logging road..    This is a rifle area, but of course, it is archery season only.  Sometimes I shoot in my buddy's gravel pit (now mine ;) ).  That wouldn't be considered afield..since I would be in a pit about a half mile in diameter...with various piles of gravel etc ..foxes hang around there though..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 03:41:02 AM »
As long as your not in the act of hunting or with someone that is hunting I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 05:22:57 AM »
   Thanks Lance;    The range is in my woods, down an old logging road..    This is a rifle area, but of course, it is archery season only.  Sometimes I shoot in my buddy's gravel pit (now mine ;) ).  That wouldn't be considered afield..since I would be in a pit about a half mile in diameter...with various piles of gravel etc ..foxes hang around there though..

Since it's a rifle area you are good to go.

Good luck hunting.

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 05:24:36 AM »
As long as your not in the act of hunting or with someone that is hunting I wouldn't think it would be a problem.

The challenge, as described by the ECO, is that there is no legal definition of "afield" so it is a judgement call in the eyes of the officer.

Lance

Offline WNY_Whitetailer

• Look at me I'm white and nerdy
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Working...
    • http://www.dec.state.ny.us/
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2012, 09:17:32 AM »
I would think that if you had the usual things that a target shooter had in his possession, you would be ok.  Targets, boxes of ammo, etc....
Patience comes with age and You can't teach common sense