Author Topic: weaver 40/44  (Read 514 times)

Offline billyjack

• Trade Count: (0)
weaver 40/44
« on: October 26, 2012, 11:31:41 AM »
Anyone use one of these scopes ,how are they?

Offline Huffmanite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: weaver 40/44
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 10:04:07 AM »
I've owned a 3.8-12x44 Weaver 40/44 scope for 3-4 years now.  Consider its optics as being very good for its price range.  Have mine on a 257 Roberts rifle that I do not shoot that much.  Probably 50 or so rounds fired with it mounted.
 Be aware, only the 2.8 or 3.8 beginning power 40/44 models are aspherical lens providing very good brightness and clarity.  Can't vouch for other models of 40/44 scopes that do not have the aspherical optics system.  This lens system developed for use in 35mm camera lens and from what I gather, first used by Simmons in their AETEC model scopes.  Seem to recall reading somewhere, the orginal AETECS, which once enjoyed a very decent reputation, were once made in Philippines and these Weavers are  made in same plant.
Quick story.  Gent I shoot with at range showed up with same weaver 40/44 as mine and set up to shoot about 6 benches from me.  Scope was on a friends rifle that he was going to develop a hunting load for.  A few minutes after he began shooting the rifle, trying some of his reloads, he will loudly exclaim to no one in particular around him,  dam_, this cheap a$$ scope has some of the clearest glass I've ever seen.  Mind you, he is a serious shooter, reloader and etc. with some pricey custom rifles.   Generally only has scopes that cost a heck of a lot more than the Weaver 40/44s on his rifles.  Long story short, he was impressed with the scope.
Presently,  www.natchezss.com has a very low price on their aspherical lens 40/44 models.    A very good buy, pricewise.